JCAT femto / XE USB3 PCIe controller Review + Appreciation Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #151 of 167
I'm using both net xe and USB xe cards in my server built around the SOTM audiophile motherboard with their SOTM clock. I use jcat nano psu between external 5v psu and the xe cards. The nano's use 'audiophile' capacitors and the sound does improve. I swapped out the 'audiophile' capacitors for audionote caps that cost 25 times more, each. (25usd) The sound improvement just blew my mind outright. I would suggest this upgrade with nano plus the audionotes before going in for any other upgrade, even from femto to xe. Ofcourse you will void any warranty. Check audionote UK website. Good soldering skills are a must.
1000006892.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #152 of 167
Thoughts on making my chain better? I am thinking more at the source. I am happy with my dac/amp.

Puritan PSM1512 > PC (SEASONIC VERTEXGX1200 FM 80+G ATX3 power supply) > Supra USB Excalibur Cable > Matrix X-SPDIF 2 > Lifatech Glass Optical Cable > Chord Dave + Farad 3 w/ Furutech Inlets & SR Purple fuses > custom made artic copper cables > Feliks Envy w/ SR Purple fuses

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #153 of 167
1. CORSAIR AX1600i. The ripple/transient king. Nothing beats it…and the only one with GaN transistors. Biggest upgrade you will even hear it on the bus power to SPDIF2. Speaking of it….

2. Upgrade to SPDIF3. I2S/AES/SPDIF beats the SPDIF2 out of the water. It is a killer DDC for the money.

3. JCAT USB XE and USB ENHANCER will improve the SPDIF2, much better sound on SPDIF3. Wider soundstage and even blacker background and speed/transients

AXi1600/JCAT USB XE USB power so good it even beats the iFi Elite 12V on SPDIF3

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #154 of 167
Get the cheapest Supra USB cable thats tinplated if you want more texture. It beats the excalibur to my taste😉👍—-even beats a much more expensive cable I sold right after.

Also if you stream music from the Internet/WAN side. Consider a very good switch and optical isolation on the WAN side of the router!

This is the best optimization that has happened to my chain so far…. I am still working on the network chain and will build a WAN/LAN “isolator” reclocking bridge to separate the traffic even further.

JCAT or Afterdark I am not sure yet.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #155 of 167
Thoughts on making my chain better? I am thinking more at the source. I am happy with my dac/amp.

Puritan PSM1512 > PC (SEASONIC VERTEXGX1200 FM 80+G ATX3 power supply) > Supra USB Excalibur Cable > Matrix X-SPDIF 2 > Lifatech Glass Optical Cable > Chord Dave + Farad 3 w/ Furutech Inlets & SR Purple fuses > custom made artic copper cables > Feliks Envy w/ SR Purple fuses
Also upgrade your network chain if you only have a router. Biggest impact on my system

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #156 of 167
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Past few weeks I have red lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share you opinions on both of these solutions?

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #157 of 167
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Past few weeks I have red lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share you opinions on both of these solutions?
1. Do you like Apple and want to get the best possible sound for a Apple build choose:
https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-Mac-mini-LPS

2. Put your main computer on the socket 1 if you have the DC version of that Supra. Second for AMP. the other DDC/DAC.

If you are not a gamer just pick number 1. It will elevate the level of sound more than you pay for, much more. However pick 3. if you like to experiment with sound and pairing. Motherboards, Ethernet card and Audiophile cards.

3. First priority is good PSU: Corsair AX1600i and HDPLEX ATX/PSU 500W. Larry at HDPLEX is working on a redesign. I have Corsair AX1600i myself. Basically an upgrade that will tear your current ATX/PSU apart.

I am awaiting the HDPLEX 500Watt myself for the project I will be working on(Playback endpoint)
-

If you still want a cheaper alternative for a DIY project, I will maybe recommend this I have on the way:
https://hdplex.com/hdplex-500w-gan-aio-atx-power-supply.html

I won´t recommend build a system over 100W for audio performance(transient/Ripple) - also not to trigger the FAN

Even for this I just got:https://hdplex.com/hdplex-200w-dc-atx-power-supply-12v-48v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

I am thinking max 20W system. Going to experiment with either VyOS or PFSENSE.

--

JCAT USB XE card is very good, and shines with very good power. Nothing under Optimo Duo imo. Choosing the AX1600i or HDPLEX will be a better upgrade than a ext. LPSU under 1000dollars.

---

The USB ENHANCER does something great when you are not listening specifically. Gives a little more emotion kind of experience.

Besides a good PSU for JCAT USB XE. USB cable pairing is another adventure:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #158 of 167
1. Do you like Apple and want to get the best possible sound for a Apple build choose:
https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-Mac-mini-LPS

2. Put your main computer on the socket 1 if you have the DC version of that Supra. Second for AMP. the other DDC/DAC.

If you are not a gamer just pick number 1. It will elevate the level of sound more than you pay for, much more. However pick 3. if you like to experiment with sound and pairing. Motherboards, Ethernet card and Audiophile cards.

3. First priority is good PSU: Corsair AX1600i and HDPLEX ATX/PSU 500W. Larry at HDPLEX is working on a redesign. I have Corsair AX1600i myself. Basically an upgrade that will tear your current ATX/PSU apart.

I am awaiting the HDPLEX 500Watt myself for the project I will be working on(Playback endpoint)
-

If you still want a cheaper alternative for a DIY project, I will maybe recommend this I have on the way:
https://hdplex.com/hdplex-500w-gan-aio-atx-power-supply.html

I won´t recommend build a system over 100W for audio performance(transient/Ripple)

Even for this I just got:https://hdplex.com/hdplex-200w-dc-atx-power-supply-12v-48v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

I am thinking max 20W system. Going to experiment with either VyOS or PFSENSE.

--

JCAT USB XE card is very good, and shines with very good power. Nothing under Optimo Duo imo. Choosing the AX1600i or HDPLEX will be a better upgrade than a ext. LPSU under 1000dollars.

---

The USB ENHANCER does something great when you are not listening specifically. Gives a little more emotion kind of experience.

Besides a good PSU for JCAT USB XE. USB cable pairing is another adventure:ksc75smile:
Thank you buddy, you really know your stuff... 👍🏻 My situation is that I run a Proxmox based VM server running MacOS VM for productivity and Windows VM for gaming. I have no problem with building a PC-based hi end streamer but I do not want to build such thing for diminishing returns over either Lumin U2 mini or Lumin U2 (or similar quality streamers) as do not want to be spending time with that unless I have confirmed that the build will be sound vise vastly superior over the Lumin (counting similar price). So far I did not find any comparisons with such solutions. And because I game time to time, I can not go with a LPU in my PC (the AX1600i is a great tip though). That is why I posted my request here.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #159 of 167
Thank you buddy, you really know your stuff... 👍🏻 My situation is that I run a Proxmox based VM server running MacOS VM for productivity and Windows VM for gaming. I have no problem with building a PC-based hi end streamer but I do not want to build such thing for diminishing returns over either Lumin U2 mini or Lumin U2 (or similar quality streamers) as do not want to be spending time with that unless I have confirmed that the build will be sound vise vastly superior over the Lumin (counting similar price). So far I did not find any comparisons with such solutions. And because I game time to time, I can not go with a LPU in my PC (the AX1600i is a great tip though). That is why I posted my request here.
I would not recommend DIY unless you want to experiment between PCIs cards. Since you do know about computers in general you could start now on your network.

This is a major impact on my own network. If possible to replace your ISP router and use your own, buy one router with SFP socket for the WAN input.

By isolation power from router the improvement has been my biggest noticeable improvement ever on this journey.

Very important for streamers. Fix the problem on WAN side.

Seriously recommendation: try the iFi ZEN Stream with return policy. Underrated.

I would only recommend these kinds of endpoint from my opinion.

The mac mini solution is really good not joking, it is up there

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #160 of 167
If you are a gamer and want to build everything into one box AX1600i + NET XE + USB XE. Major upgrade. I have RTX4070 in my build. The Corsair AX is that good I even power my network switches and masterclock with it right now.(custom cables from Ghen audio cables)

Project. Testing purpose
My experiment is going to be with the Dante solution and separate the audiophile part of the Gamer to a playback endpoint, so I can still hear both endpoints on the same DAC input. Gamer -> Dante/Ethernet -> Audiophile/Playback. The playback endpoint is only for audio, everything else is connected to the Gamer, besides the D/A chain

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #161 of 167

I can't comment with any comparisons between a highend PC setup and a highend streamer like the Lumins but honestly if you don't really need a pc in your set-up I would get a nice streamer.

The music PC route is messy and complicated. I've had tons of compatibility issues, stability issues, Driver issues. You name it.

Buying a streamer sounds nice and easy. Someone else did all of the optimization for you already. Plug and play.

Unfortunately I need my system to be based around my PC for various reasons, so it's unavoidable.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #162 of 167
I would not recommend DIY unless you want to experiment between PCIs cards. Since you do know about computers in general you could start now on your network.

This is a major impact on my own network. If possible to replace your ISP router and use your own, buy one router with SFP socket for the WAN input.

By isolation power from router the improvement has been my biggest noticeable improvement ever on this journey.

Very important for streamers. Fix the problem on WAN side.

Seriously recommendation: try the iFi ZEN Stream with return policy. Underrated.

I would only recommend these kinds of endpoint from my opinion.

The mac mini solution is really good not joking, it is up there
Thank you for this great info, I am very new to audiophile networking and I do believe it has an audible impact on the rest of the chain. Thank you for the tip on the iFi ZEN Stream, I already looked to it and seems that is a pretty nice entry level affordable streamer with quality build and lot of very nice reviews. Also it supposedly benefits from a quality LPS so there is a way of further upgrade which I like. So that's it for me then I'm glad I found some answers here, thank you... 🙂👍🏻

I am also Interested with your further tips on the network improvement. I have an optical connection from my IPS with some kind of optical->RJ45 small plastic box bridge going with UTP into a plastic ISP wifi router. Not sure if there is a possibility to replace the ISP router but I can doublecheck with my ISP. With that said can you please write some more detail about what exactly should be done with this? Is replacing the plastic ISP router with a prof. router containing SFP socket for WAN port all there is to it? Or there need to be done some more? Have you any recommendation for the router?

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #163 of 167
Project. Testing purpose
My experiment is going to be with the Dante solution and separate the audiophile part of the Gamer to a playback endpoint, so I can still hear both endpoints on the same DAC input. Gamer -> Dante/Ethernet -> Audiophile/Playback. The playback endpoint is only for audio, everything else is connected to the Gamer, besides the D/A chain
Not sure I can follow this but sounds interesting... 😀

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #164 of 167
I can't comment with any comparisons between a highend PC setup and a highend streamer like the Lumins but honestly if you don't really need a pc in your set-up I would get a nice streamer.

The music PC route is messy and complicated. I've had tons of compatibility issues, stability issues, Driver issues. You name it.

Buying a streamer sounds nice and easy. Someone else did all of the optimization for you already. Plug and play.

Unfortunately I need my system to be based around my PC for various reasons, so it's unavoidable.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you.
thank you for your message, I finally decided to go with a streamer mostly because exactly the reasons you mention... 👍🏻 Will start with iFi Zen Stream recommended by @OCC7N and gradually upgrade to something like Lumin U2 mini and U2.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #165 of 167
I am also Interested with your further tips on the network improvement. I have an optical connection from my IPS with some kind of optical->RJ45 small plastic box bridge going with UTP into a plastic ISP wifi router. Not sure if there is a possibility to replace the ISP router but I can doublecheck with my ISP. With that said can you please write some more detail about what exactly should be done with this? Is replacing the plastic ISP router with a prof. router containing SFP socket for WAN port all there is to it? Or there need to be done some more? Have you any recommendation for the router?
Yes it is usually like this. Read with caution:sweat_smile:.... SPOILER: I like to fragment/isolate everything on network

Fiber cable from the wall goes to a box that can translate the signals of the different wavelengths(Audio/Data/Video) to electrical signals/RJ45. GPON, this box outputs to Router which usually also is provided by ISP. If this box has SFP for the WAN input, the great idea will be put a FMC right in front of it.

If you don’t have SFP.
Some ISP providers allow own routers to be used. Here I would buy a router with SFP input. People are still using FMC with great results after the router, on the LAN side. So that scenario would/could be like this.

WAN: Fiber cable -> GPON -> ISP Router -> FMC -> ?

Every IP address is "noise". Isolating IP address creates less noise. You can read into this regarding ARP request/broadcast. Basically this communication has its own interval and devices seeks attention "I am here" - The router does the same by requesting there mac address. Not going to get more technical. I would segment and isolate Audio to only the devices needed, every other device on another router....Could be the ISP router which is basically on the dirty side "WAN" when you get Router 2

This is where Router2(?) comes in for the audio segment.

(I am only talking from tweak perspective here, when we want the best out of our HiFi systems. The last few %s)

WAN: Fiber cable -> GPON -> ISP Router(smart devices, computers, other hosts) -> FMC -> Router2

LAN: Router2 -> Switch -> iFi Zen stream
The best practice scenario.( However more Routers can benefit this is just the basics)

Look at the switch on LAN side as booster for traffic speed, and lowering latency. Routers need help as they process other things at the chip/software.

Further tweaks: Disable all power saving options like EEE, anything energy savings, on all Routers/switches if possible. Router2 disable firewall and features so it basically only function as NAT, which basically is the wall/isolation between WAN and LAN.

Thank you for this great info, I am very new to audiophile networking and I do believe it has an audible impact on the rest of the chain. Thank you for the tip on the iFi ZEN Stream, I already looked to it and seems that is a pretty nice entry level affordable streamer with quality build and lot of very nice reviews. Also it supposedly benefits from a quality LPS so there is a way of further upgrade which I like. So that's it for me then I'm glad I found some answers here, thank you... 🙂👍🏻

From my experience I like the iFi iPower X a lot on network devices(switches/routers/streamers), and the Elite mostly on DAC, NAS or small computers. Investing a shitload of money into a streamer needs a good future plan.

I would say that iFi is very underrated company, most people in HiFi judge brands by the prices, but that little thing is the best thing right now money can buy. Nothing really compares when I look from an overall perspective. The software is debatable but you can avoid it by using streamingservices app or DLNA/UPnP.

iFi ZEN Stream is the best start I can think of. Then when you have the money for an expensive streamer buy it with return policy and you can compare the value/worth

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back