Jazz listener, how old are you ... ?
Apr 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 78
48 years young.

I was listening to Ella Fitzgerald/Count Basie/Joe Williams/Al DiMeola/Chick Corea since I was 12 when everyone else was listening to Black Sabbath and Three Dog Night (I liked that stuff too).

I think it is different for people in my age range, though because we had a lot of jazz fusion with Return to Forever and Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Yes on the big radio stations.

It was easier to cross over then than now, where there is mostly pop, hip hop and classic rock.

May 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #32 of 78
43 here. Listening to jazz since I was about 6 years old. One of my aunts got me hooked with a Wes Montgomery disc. Then came Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Count Basie... It's been a long journey since then.
I've been lucky that an online radio station offered me to make a weekly show, that's "refreshed" my interest and opened new horizons. Glad to see there're so many mates interested
smily_headphones1.gif

Rgrds.

May 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 78
I'm 32. I recently appreciated Jazz more about a year ago. It came about the same time that I started to really listen to higher end cans. Now I can't get enough of jazz.

I've been listening to vocal jazz like Ella, Louis, Bille, Sarah V for about 15 yeras +. But Coltrane, Davis, Brubeck, Getz, etc. came later. Great poll you started up.

May 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #38 of 78
17 and a Jazz fan thanks to Head-Fi

The First Post on Favorite CD Of All Time Thread Were "Tribute To Jack Johnson" & "A Love Supreme", Next Time I Was In Town I Picked Them Up, and They Now Sit In My Top Ten

May 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #39 of 78
Coming from Detroit, I've always had that Motown influence....Stevie Wonder, Aretha, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Martha & the Vandellas, etc... in my blood as well as the white soul/blues influenced acts such as Bob Seger System, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Grand Funk Railroad, Rare Earth, MC5, the Stooges ....and Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes(?)
biggrin.gif

My first Jazz experience was probably my listening to my parents Dave Brubeck Take Five LP and because I was taking piano at the time the timing really interested me.
also had some Harry Bellafonte and Three Dog Night.
I remember recueing "Jeriamiah was a Bullfrog" over and over...

Aerosmith, J. Geils, Bad Company and Stevie "Guitar" Miller were always Detroit concert and airwave favs.

Thru my teens I was BIG into KISS, Bad Company, Rolling Stones, Alice Cooper, Styx, Foghat, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, the Who, Rush, Led Zep, etc...

early on I didn't get the big buzz over Cream???
biggrin.gif

Went thru the metal/hair rock phase mainly consisting of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dokken....then on to white trash rock like GNR and the like.

I really got hooked on jazz when I hit my 30's and finally figured out what all the fuss was about over Cream!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Now that I'm in my 40's Jazz is my staple listening choice as it offers more diversity IMO than AOR rock could ever encompass.
Don't get me wrong, I still spin Zeppelin from time to time and even give that old Romeo Void "Never Say Never" an occasional listen but I also find myself branching out into classical and opera as it offers more complexity and dynamics that, for the most part, jazz fails to deliver.

Blues and Rock are fine but after awhile become to predictable and simple IMO... it's like watching an Ahhhnold action flick vs. something like "The Good Shepard", "Chinatown", "The Usual Suspects", etc...

I still crank the radio whenever I come across something off "British Steel"!!!

May 14, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMN U! Now I can't get "I might like you better if we slept together" out of my head!

Share the pain: Romeo Void "Never Say Never"

I gotta admit that guitar intro with the artificial harmonic is quite catchy ...then into that swaggering-thumping bass groove....

damn, I gotta breakout the Ipod now!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #43 of 78
I'm not sure how I arrived in the 2nd oldest category.... Jazz makes up about 20% of my collection and a very important portion of my listening time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 78
I discovered jazz at the Montreal Jazz festival when I was 16 and have never looked back. It is at the core of my listening. It's fluid musical ideas flowing freely and unexpectantly keep me on the edge of my seat. I'm 50.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #45 of 78
I discovered jazz at the Montreal Jazz festival when I was 16 and have never looked back. It is at the core of my listening. It's fluid musical ideas flowing freely and unexpectantly keep me on the edge of my seat. I'm 50.

Thanks for the bump of this old thread.

I started listening to and loving jazz way way back in the around 1973, when I was 18 years old, and my introduction to jazz was through electric Miles Davis, whom I managed to see in concert several times in the 1973-1975 period. One Miles Davis concert from Carnegie Hall, NYC in 1974, which was recorded and released as "Dark Magus", completely blew my mind and I haven't looked back since.

My jazz odyssey has included working as a DJ on my college radio station, writing about jazz for my college newspaper and writing about jazz for Sonic.net throughout 2000 (just before the first dot.com bubble burst).

In you did the math then you know that I'm 59 years old, which means that I've been a jazz listener for over 40 years and I've seen and heard quite a bit of great jazz over those 40+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back