Japan made custom IEM, SUYAMA Private 333 impressions (w/pics)
Aug 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
SUYAMA Private 333 is a 3way custom IEM that is made in Japan. SUYAMA fit-ear is primary a hearing-aid manufacture and all of my ear-impressions for my custom IEMs are molded by Suyama.

Click picture to see larger.

Suyama Private 333 is their latest product and mainly focused on consumer market. 333 is not officially released yet, I am something like a beta-tester. The details are subject to change.
However, 333 is very close to the final and some amount of pairs has been provided so far.

Suyama fit-ear official page (Japanese)
FitEar for Sound and Music

SUYAMA custom IEM has been numbered such as 435 or 224. This represent the configuration of drivers. This 333 means 3 way, 3 units, 3 drivers. Because there are some BA units which have two drivers(receivers) built in to the same unit. For example, Westone ES3/ES3X would be named 333 in the style of SUYAMA. However, westone3 would be named as 323, as high and mid drivers are incorporated into one unit(Knowles TWFK). This is clear and non-misleading naming convention I think. So Private 333 employs 3 separate units/drivers.

Fit and built

As for fit and build quality, 333 is very nicely done. I think the fit is the best among my custom IEMs. They sit perfectly in my ears and it will not slip any whether if I am moving or open mouth.
Build quality is also top notch. The shell is very clean.

Private 333 also features separated three sound ports(bores) for each drivers against the others usually employ two even if they are 3ways. You will see them on the above picture. Beside, you can see a small notch where my thumb nail pointed. This notch makes removing shell easy. Well elaborated manufacturing I think.

Sound impression

Sound-wise, 333 is transparent and clear like its shell. Overall SQ is well comparable to other fine custom IEMs.
Speaking of sound signature, 333 has its own sound characteristic. As the name implies, the private series are focused on consumer use. So the 333 sounded like something exaggerated compared to other monitor like custom IEMs. 333 is not flat, bass is a bit enhanced though well detailed. Highs are sharp, detailed and bright in a good way, while the sound is not so hard. If you hear pops or rock often, you will like this dynamics.

333 also has a good ability to reproduce Jazz or Classical. Music instruments are clear and crisp. In addition, the highlight of 333 is layering and well separated sound tones, possibly be due to the separated three ports. The music instrument notes from 333 are not too much blended each other and clearly separated. This is impressive.

333 has a good synergy with P-51/ALO SXC/iMod. 333 sounded lively and
vivid. Bass is not so tight like JH13 but ok with P-51.

SUYAMA is working on to the official release, they need more time.
I will update if they accept oversea order.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 73
Very interesting indeed -- as usual, your posts always provide something new to think about.

Any idea on the price?

Build quality looks very good. I also notice they don't have detachable cables either. Is that the case? And what about the cable quality & microphonics?

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Private 333 also features separated three sound ports(bores) for each drivers against the others usually employ two even if they are 3ways.

Yes, I wonder why. Do they use only two bores because their machines aren't precise enough to make three? Because they don't want to make the bores narrower, for SQ reasons? Because they're afraid that three bores will make the tip too fragile?

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting indeed -- as usual, your posts always provide something new to think about.

Any idea on the price?

Build quality looks very good. I also notice they don't have detachable cables either. Is that the case? And what about the cable quality & microphonics?

I'm a user of Suyama FitEar Private333.

The current domestic monitor price is 89,250 yen. It is about $940.

Suyama Private series has detachable cable, and the quality of the cable was improved from 333 series. The present color is white, but it is going to be changed in black from the end of this month.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 73
Thank you for the comment
smily_headphones1.gif

As for pricing, I don't have exact number but I guess it would be almost same to other high-end model.

The cable for my unit is not detachable. The plug is of proprietary and not a westone one.

I think cable microphonics are low but the cable is a bit thick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any idea on the price?

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I wonder why. Do they use only two bores because their machines aren't precise enough to make three? Because they don't want to make the bores narrower, for SQ reasons? Because they're afraid that three bores will make the tip too fragile?

This is just my speculation, not so sure. So take this with a grain of salt..

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 73
Suyama is certainly keeping a very low profile outside of Japan. My last visit to their website is a bit confusing (on how things are organized). They should really update their website and accept oversea order. It is easy to tell that they are good at the technical side but perhaps a better marketing team can really helps out the business.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 73
Thank you, I hope they'll sell it world wide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ephemere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the review. It's a valuable and relatively uncommon opportunity to hear about a non-American manufacture on these boards.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 73
They have recently update the website design, though still Japanese only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suyama is certainly keeping a very low profile outside of Japan. My last visit to their website is a bit confusing (on how things are organized). They should really update their website and accept oversea order. It is easy to tell that they are good at the technical side but perhaps a better marketing team can really helps out the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back