ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 28, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #4,231 of 5,070
Ok, not to sound like a broken record but- with a really good source and quality files, the EST50/Solar combo is TRULY stellar. Separation, soundstage, timbre, detail, lifelike in every way. This is the best I have yet heard on classic rock. Was just listening to "I'm a Man" by Chicago and the replay was perfect. These I will never part with.
EST50 is amazing, isn't it?

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #4,233 of 5,070
Mar 1, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #4,234 of 5,070
Writing my review testing out songs and comparing to other sets. Wow how fun and versatile EST50 is, I do maybe like it more than my precious Penon Serial.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #4,235 of 5,070
Jeez I hate you guys, my wallet is not ready to buy the Solar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
+1!
Had been discussing via pvt chat with one of our stellar buddies here and in Penon, yet did not manage to snag one...
:beerchug:

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #4,236 of 5,070
+1!
Had been discussing via pvt chat with one of our stellar buddies here and in Penon, yet did not manage to snag one...
:beerchug:
Oh! I have a solar, I was lucky to get a used one from classifieds, but I don't have the EST50! I was about to buy it a long time ago, but decided on the Thieaudio Oracle (Big mistake!) I sold it as soon as I heard the Penon Volt.

Right now I have the Solar with the Moonlight and it is spectacular... It's also a great pairing with the Penon Serial (Serial + Solar + Desktop amp... and fly!)

photo_5884033895224162774_y.jpg

photo_5996967272838708009_y.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #4,237 of 5,070
Writing my review testing out songs and comparing to other sets. Wow how fun and versatile EST50 is, I do maybe like it more than my precious Penon Serial.
Same feeling here, and this after some months listening to both IEMs. Slowly but surely, the EST50 (with ISN Solar) take the advantage over the still fantastic Serial.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #4,238 of 5,070
Same feeling here, and this after some months listening to both IEMs. Slowly but surely, the EST50 (with ISN Solar) take the advantage over the still fantastic Serial.
Can you please share your thoughts about the mids/vocals quality and positioning on both sets ( EST50 and Serial ) with stock cables , thanks .

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,239 of 5,070
Can you please share your thoughts about the mids/vocals quality and positioning on both sets ( EST50 and Serial ) with stock cables , thanks .
Serial: A bit less forward and fuller than the EST50. Warmish, romantic signature. Excellent with both male/female vocalists.

EST50: Pretty neutral and flat. Nicely balanced, more detailed than Serial, but not better overall in my opinion.

It’s a matter of taste, as usual. Personally, I have a sweet spot for the Serial.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #4,240 of 5,070
I'm still on the fence re: EST50 versus H50 but what is going on for me has put all of it into perspective.

Having a spring clean, looking around the house and garden to see what serves me and what is getting in the way or clutter. Some furniture needs replacing or updating, in particular my desk, monitor arms, cradles and the like - I spend 4 days chained to a desk and haven't moulded my environment to fit those needs. Spring is here - so getting the garden ready for new vegetables, building new planters and repairing old ones are now priority.

All of that stuff (desk, garden etc) comes to roughly the cost of the EST50.

This isn't a comment on the cost of this hobby (which I am still very much a part of) but more a reflection, helping me put things in perspective and in a priority order. I have enough gear to listen to and enjoy. There will be new stuff in due course but right now other aspects of my life are calling.

Not leaving this thread, headfi or any of that nonsense because that I love it but putting new items on the back burner for a while (or at least until the garden gets finished and my desk setup is right).

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #4,241 of 5,070
In other news - one of our dogs just ate some raisins this afternoon so needed a visit to the vet and a stomach pump - there goes another £200....:triportsad:

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4,242 of 5,070
Just thought I should inform you guys about a few things... according always to my perception...
Bought recently the Oriolus Szalayis (my latest purchase in fact) and have found some spare time for strictly A/B comparisons to my all time fav EST50 s..
SZA : 850 $
EST50 : 450 $
Both great, very very identical sound signatures
both with explosive quality bass response..
fantastic mids and tremendous headstage.
In fact I came to a realization that their one and only BIG TIME difference would be their cost difference, which BTW cannot be by any means justified or explained.. not by me at least..
To make a long story short.... Don't bother at all grabbing the szalayi if you can get EST50 at half of their price...
In fact EST50 being not a power hungry monitor (while SZA certainly is one.) can get you absolutely the same satisfaction, pleasure and headstage in lower volumes with lower gain and power than SZA...
EST50s certainly is the absolute VFM monitor I have acquired so far.... You get a TOTL signature for less than 500 bucks.....
A bass head's dream.....
IMG_20230130_195802.jpg

IMG_20230130_074900.jpg

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #4,244 of 5,070
Guys, I haven't decided which cable to order for the ISN EST50. I have listened to them stock cable and azla crystal tips. Really like what I hear. I've read that by changing the cable you could get something more. Budget 100€.
Budget $100 I would say either get one very good Like the ISN G4

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-g4.html

Or get 2 different cables for the $50 each, stock cable is not bad but if you want perhaps the highest quality Cobber with Silver Plating out there.
The low priced XINHS (flagship-ish) OCC Silver Plated.
This is basically an improved stock cable that punches with the EA Cadmus in sound.
Got this recommended trough some audio friends who has cables up into 500++++

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.35.10c71802FbO1mJ

Another very unique and special one is also a cheaper one, I don't have mine yet but it push mids forward in the sound.
Its still a very new model and few own it, but if it gives a full on body to bass and mids it can be very good cable to have in your collection.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.10c71802FbO1mJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back