Is the Simaudio Moon P-3 discontinued?
Dec 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
p-3_silver_wide.jpg

It's listed under "older products" section of Simaudio's website. But it's still available new (NOS?) online. Seems to have a well-thoughtout headphone section, and looks nicely constructed. Good to have a full preamp & headphone amp in one box.

Anyone ever heard this, or can point to reviews?

TIA.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Here is the only review with a weblink that shows up on the Simaudio website:

Simaudio MOON P-3 Preamplifier Review - The Inner Ear Report - 2000 Vol. 12 #4

As far as I can tell, it is discontinued. The current pre-amps that Simaudio offers (P5.3, P7, P8) do not have headphone jacks. Their top-of-the-line integrated amps (i5.3, i7) do not have headphone jacks either, but the lower-tier integrateds (i-1, i3.3) do. I guess the company presumes that if you're getting one of their higher-end products, you probably already have a dedicated headphone amp.

I have the i5.3, and while I can't comment on the headphone section (since it's absent in that model), I do think it's a very good all-around performer which can be had for a pretty reasonable price.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks MC!

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 7
it's a really clean sounding preamp without being analytical. they're great deals on audiogon. sonic frontiers units have similar sound as well. don't recall it having a headphone out though, where'd you get that info from?

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ion't recall it having a headphone out though, where'd you get that info from?

P-3_Rear.jpg

The headphone jack is in the back. According to the user manual, the preamp outs have to be muted for the headphone out to work.

Full specs on Simaudio's website .

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Pick up a used P-5. Very good for the price. I just sold one for 1625.00. They got a deal. It did not have any headphone jack on it.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 7
That does sound like a good deal, Tom.

However, my attraction to the P-3 is the included headphone amp along with preamp capabilities. A consolidation of boxes is the value-add for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back