Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 13, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #62 of 166
Hmmm I continue to read that it does. But I also read that anyone who owns both perfers their LCD-2 more. Maybe I should just buy the LCD3 and be done with my upgraditus 
confused.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #63 of 166

Quote:
Aww man all this talk about the LCD-2 not having a soundstage makes me not want to get. Maybe I will go with the HE-500, but I worry it won't have the amount of bass I want.... oh the agony!

This is a horrific response to me, lol.  As the Bass, to my ears, was right behind the LCD2s in awesomeness.  

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #64 of 166
Oh sorry it's not HE 500 it was HE 6, I double checked it today, and about how loud I listen to music is about 90 DB, and between 90 to 100DB on hi-fi

Quote:

?  Man I wish I could consider $450 cheap and the Lyr at all portable.  I don't want you to think I'm making fun of you, as I am concerned but do you have hearing issues?  I ask because you said you like to listen at high volumes and I am not able to listen to the HE500 at volumes that cause distortion.  Its enough to make me totally def and feel sick instantly well before I can even get to that point where I hear enough distortion that would cause me to not want to listen to the set and pursue other models.   I might be wrong, I am just worried about my HE500 heh.  I worry a lot when other users say some things that I've never experienced in my own set. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #65 of 166
!!!!!

How did you check the spl? 15 minutes at 100 db will cause permanent damage...

No doubt improperly amped HE-6

Quote:
Oh sorry it's not HE 500 it was HE 6, I double checked it today, and about how loud I listen to music is about 90 DB, and between 90 to 100DB on hi-fi

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #67 of 166
ARGH!! what I'm saying is headphone , earphone I listen at 90 DB, hi-fi I don't mean hifiman, I mean hi-fi speakers u know those gigantic speakers u listen in a room? I listen 90 to 100DB

Quote:
!!!!!

How did you check the spl? 15 minutes at 100 db will cause permanent damage...

No doubt improperly amped HE-6

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #68 of 166
You said you experienced clipping in the HE6 which was bad enough for you to stop listening to it.  I was under the impression the He6 was immensely robust, as are the HE500 and the LCD2 and each could handle deafening volume levels.  I am surprised you were able to reach high enough volume with the HE6 to even begin to distort.

What exactly was your set up when you head this clipping and distortion?  What were your volume levels at on your source and Dac/amp?  As I said before I think if this is true, your source volume was way too high and caused a "domino effect"  It was outting terribly distorted quality to the dac or amp which in turn was reproduced through the HE6.  I think this is more likely than anything else, as it takes a crap load of volume to distort the He6 in the manner you implied it did.  You'd go def soon after hearing it.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #69 of 166

100 dB from a headphone, speakers, iem, or jet engine will all cause permanent damage to ears.  Even 90 dB will cause permanent damage in 1-2 hrs.

Your HE6 clipped and sounded distorted probably due to them not being amped properly.

Quote:
ARGH!! what I'm saying is headphone , earphone I listen at 90 DB, hi-fi I don't mean hifiman, I mean hi-fi speakers u know those gigantic speakers u listen in a room? I listen 90 to 100DB

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #70 of 166
no DAC, my ipod touch into I think either the SPL or the rudistor amp,
I did ipod touch into Beyerdynamics A1 then to Audeze LCD 2 crank it to the kind of vol I like, no problem very nice.

Quote:
You said you experienced clipping in the HE6 which was bad enough for you to stop listening to it.  I was under the impression the He6 was immensely robust, as are the HE500 and the LCD2 and each could handle deafening volume levels.  I am surprised you were able to reach high enough volume with the HE6 to even begin to distort.

What exactly was your set up when you head this clipping and distortion?  What were your volume levels at on your source and Dac/amp?  As I said before I think if this is true, your source volume was way too high and caused a "domino effect"  It was outting terribly distorted quality to the dac or amp which in turn was reproduced through the HE6.  I think this is more likely than anything else, as it takes a crap load of volume to distort the He6 in the manner you implied it did.  You'd go def soon after hearing it.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #71 of 166

Quote:

You do realize how absurdly, ridiculously loud (and damaging) that is for everyday listening, right?

His question is legitimate - how are you measuring those values?

And as far as the HE-500 and clipping - that is not the headphones.  Clipping is NEVER caused by transducers (unless they are defective); only amplifiers poorly matched to transducers (i.e. not enough current or voltage) or poor recordings.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #72 of 166
Use ipod touch , download the Ultimate ears app that can check sound level. and place the Iem/headphone at the mic of the ipod when I do that my source is from my phone but that's just to check the kind of level I listen to and yes it's 90DB around there

Quote:
You do realize how absurdly, ridiculously loud (and damaging) that is for everyday listening, right?

His question is legitimate - how are you measuring those values?

And as far as the HE-500 and clipping - that is not the headphones.  Clipping is NEVER caused by transducers (unless they are defective); only amplifiers poorly matched to transducers (i.e. not enough current or voltage) or poor recordings.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #73 of 166
What a cool app! Thanks for that...

95 dB isn't as loud as I thought it would be, around 3/4 max vol on the Lyr w/ lcd2.  I listen comfortably at around 1/3  max vol on the lyr and thats around 74-80 dB depending on song.  I am not sure how accurate that app is but I would say anything that is 90 dB+ on that app is too loud for daily listening.

Quote:
Use ipod touch , download the Ultimate ears app that can check sound level. and place the Iem/headphone at the mic of the ipod when I do that my source is from my phone but that's just to check the kind of level I listen to and yes it's 90DB around there

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #74 of 166
I dont want to be an ass but can we get back to the thread main point....

Anyone here with LCD2 and the Phonitor can comment? I did have a pair of Dynaudio BM15A (awesome studio monitors) and compared them to the LCD2 (no phonitor). The bass in the LCD2 was up to par with the dynaudio in some cases even more easy to detect errors. But the dynaudios where better in stereo image and over all feel of the sound.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #75 of 166
I'll be having a listen to the Phonitor and LCD-2 rev2's later on this week, if someone doesn't post impressions first then
I'm more than happy to post up an opinion or two in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back