Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 166
I vote that you do the upgrade and let us all know about it. Incessantly. Just to piss Hennyo off.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 166
fabriciom, ask again when a wider swath of users have heard these in person (first batch should ship out Friday.)  Even then, who says other's impressions will match your own?  Only you can tell by purchasing.  I know headroom has a 30 day money back guarantee, but I don't know if it applies to Audeze products.  Judging by the last couple releases, they should mantain value pretty well on the used market should you decide to sell them for at least the first few months when they are on backorder for people who didn't get in on the pre-order.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 166
Opinions toward high-end gear is too damn subjective.

I guess a good goal to strive for is utter neutrality. From what I've read of various impressions, LCD3 DOES INDEED HAVE a consensually agreed-upon boost in neutrality compared to LCD2, it's noticeable but really subtle.

If you think that justifies $1000 increase in price (a very harsh reality of diminishing returns), go for it.

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 166
I think the real decider is that you already own an LCD-2, that makes your case a bit
more difficult than someone who doesn't have an Audeze already in the stable.

I've spent quite a bit of time with the LCD-2 and it's only recently with the right
source and amp that I've grown to appreciate it. This has more or less made
the LCD-3 the front runner for me as my next headphone, ahead of my
original plans to get a GS1000i.

If I already had an LCD-2 rev2 and didn't want to sell for what ever reason then
I probably would just stay put. Then again that could all change once I audition
the LCD-3.

As it stands I'm happy to buy in future - unheard as the accessories alone
make it worthwhile and surely it won't be a downgrade (hope)

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 166
If you have the money, why not?  But I suggest waiting a few weeks to see what meshes well with the LCD3 and if it is truly to your liking.  Might also be wise to wait a bit and see if HiFiMan will retaliate against the new Audeze with their own model :)

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #21 of 166
Funny, people who posted here didn't even get a chance to hear LCD3, and don't have LCD3.

I say you can kindly go ahead and upgrade to LCD3 and let us know ?
That way we can all save some money, yadiyadiyada..  :)

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 166
I can just imagine the future threads now..

'My LCD-3 is better than your LCD-2, Oh no it's not, Oh yes it is, no way man'

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #23 of 166
I can't work out if the OP is serious or not. I mean seriously? The thing is not even out yet and about 5 have actually heard it in meet conditions.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 166
Has anyone watched Jude's latest video rounding up Can-Jam?  He gave the LCD-3 the "best value" award.  Funny, considering the price point...

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 166
Heh, Fang has telepathic powers, he saw the LCD3 coming last year and created the HE6 in advance.  :p  

Seriously though, I hope HiFiman improves on their current models yet again and offers something as a direct retaliation against the LCD3.  I also hope other companies jump on the wagon and produce some amazing Orthos.  The time of the Dynamic driver is over, let it die already....let it die...*wraps dynamic drivers head with plastic bag...shhh...this is why we are here.......shhh

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 166
Key for Fang at HiFi Man is simple ~ exceed HE-6 performance and make it feasible by way of an amplifier like a Burson 160/V200/Concerto etc..

All well and good with the current HE-6 but it's crippling to find that unless a Cavalli Liquid Fire or Ray Samuels Dark Star is behind
it ~ no one can drive it properly 

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 166
The tech to make an Ortho easily driven already exists in the LCD3/2 and HE500, so I am not really sure why anyone would continue to develop hard to drive cans these days.  I think it can definitely be done with more RnD.  Imagine an improved HE-500?  Thats like...sickening to me in the best of ways, makes my stomach drop to think about it.   We should have no need for super expensive and insanely powerful amping these days.  Just my personal opinion, but I've always felt expensive gear should be reflective of the times and at least try to be much more efficient so I dont have to spend 3k on an amp :p

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 166

Quote:
Heh, Fang has telepathic powers, he saw the LCD3 coming last year and created the HE6 in advance.  :p  

Seriously though, I hope HiFiman improves on their current models yet again and offers something as a direct retaliation against the LCD3.  I also hope other companies jump on the wagon and produce some amazing Orthos.  The time of the Dynamic driver is over, let it die already....let it die...*wraps dynamic drivers head with plastic bag...shhh...this is why we are here.......shhh

I'm there day one should Sennheiser step to the plate. No questions asked.

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 166

Quote:
Lcd-2 = good $500-575 phone, lcd3 = good 800$ phone. They've been vastly hyped and aren't worth more of your dollar than that.

thanks for the laugh today. makes me think of an old friend who felt that porsche was just a beetle at heart and he should be entitled to own one..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back