Is it reasonable to get the Edition 9 when already have the HD650 and DX1000?
Nov 26, 2008 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been thinking seriously about the Edition 9. It's one of the cans I'd like to try (beside the L3000). I especially have great attention the phones that have great bass. I've already have the balanced HD650 with several kinds of cables (Mogami, Kimber TCSS, Vampire and Jena) and the forthcoming balanced DX1000 with Jena cable.
So, please the owners of them, or at least own the ED9 and one of the DX1000, let me know your thoughts. Is it a serious cans to listen or only portable stuff?

And oh, please don't tell me to wait for the Edition 8 or try the D7000. I hate the look of the E8 at first sight, and also not really impressed when first try the D5000.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 30
I have heard the edition 9 on multiple occasions. Its a can that you'll DEFINITELY want to hear before you decide to buy it. My first impression was "$1000+ for this?!" but then you start hearing details and nuances which were hidden before. Its presentation is very very true to the recording and very neutral.

You must hear it first to decide if you like it. I personally will stick with my HD650 due to its more musical presentation, IMO. By the way, since you're in Ohio, Hardwired owns the Edition 9 and lives near Dayton, Ohio. Maybe you could make a trip to his place to try it out with your system? Just an idea.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 30
I wish I can try before buying
frown.gif

I'm still a freshman who lives all the time in the little dorm room with no car
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I can try before buying
frown.gif

I'm still a freshman who lives all the time in the little dorm room with no car
frown.gif

If you need a car, save your money toward that goal. If you're a freshman in a dorm, you might not think you'll need a car for a while. But in no time, you'll need a car for one reason or another, and probably many reasons. Of course, you can always sell whatever headphones that you have when it's time to raise the funds, but they will lose value in the meantime. More importantly, it's always good to learn (or keep practicing if you've already learned) the discipline of saving. Never has that been more important than in the times we're now living in.

All of that said, on your "Is it reasonable?" question, some of us are not in a terribly good position to answer that question! But then again, we're (or at least some of us) are not just starting college either, so I guess we can be a little less reasonable.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 30
Ultrasones are love/hate headphones. Either you love em or hate em. Because of this, I truly do recommend try trying to try (does that make any sense?) a pair of Ultrasone headphones before venturing into them.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 30
you might want to try the new pro900's. they are not quite in the same league as the ED9's, but they have a very similar sound. good detail. a bit more bass than ED9's. And you can get them online for about $330.
I dug the 900's so much I returned them and bought the ED9's.
I love the ED9's and no regrets, but honestly I could have lived just fine with the 900's.

Also think about B&H photo in NYC. You can order online and have 30 days to return. I tried many ultrasones this way.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great complementary can for you might be the new Darth V4 Terminator -- I love mine -- I use them even more than my DX1000 right now.

Pricey, but still less $ than Edition 9.

Definitely an option, although the resale factor clearly favors the ED9. That's probably the only reason I've never tried a Darth Beyer, despite owning the DT770/80 at one point in time. It just makes very little sense to me to pay that much more over a stock pair of DT770's, considering if you don't like them you'll get hosed when you flip them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V4's have great bass, but not even close to being "overwhelming" -- it is really nice. Best cans I own for realistic kick-drums, too -- amazing in that area. They lack in *no* area of the sound spectrum.

You want the best, most realistic kick drums? Seek out a Grado PS-1 and you will be amazed.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need a car, save your money toward that goal. If you're a freshman in a dorm, you might not think you'll need a car for a while. But in no time, you'll need a car for one reason or another, and probably many reasons. .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for buying a car before another headphone. You'll have a lot more fun with a car, anyhow.

x2

===-----===

Although to the OP, if you're set on buying the Edition 9 I really do suggest in auditioning them. They do have a distinct presentation, good punchy bass and all, but I think the main problem with this headphone is the 'comfort'.

For me I really enjoy the sound, it's my go-to rock headphone as of now, but I just don't like the headband (the top cushion digs into my head). You may have figured this one out by now: the Edition 9 will be brighter and will have much more treble in comparison to the HD650 in stock configuration.

edit: I'm sure you can find someone or your parents to give you a ride around to meets and such (for audition)

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need a car, save your money toward that goal. If you're a freshman in a dorm, you might not think you'll need a car for a while. But in no time, you'll need a car for one reason or another, and probably many reasons. Of course, you can always sell whatever headphones that you have when it's time to raise the funds, but they will lose value in the meantime. More importantly, it's always good to learn (or keep practicing if you've already learned) the discipline of saving. Never has that been more important than in the times we're now living in.

All of that said, on your "Is it reasonable?" question, some of us are not in a terribly good position to answer that question! But then again, we're (or at least some of us) are not just starting college either, so I guess we can be a little less reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for buying a car before another headphone. You'll have a lot more fun with a car, anyhow.

Thanks for all the great advices. I'm also trying to save the money but still can't resist the tempting of new cans lol.
Well, I'm an international student who has just been to the States for 3 months. I even don't know how to drive. My aim is to buy a car next year though.
I'm still happy that all the audio stuffs I bought are from my self-earned money.

The Ultrasone is the only cans I've never heard so the curiosity is really big. I really wish I could borrow some to listen before deciding to buy.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

I really wish I could borrow some to listen before deciding to buy.

Yep, everybody does. Sounds like you and I both need to make it to a meet sometime.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 30
So any has both the E9 and HD650 or DX1000, please let me what you think about it. Which is more comfortable? Which has darker sound? I personally do love dark and warm cans, so if the E9 has that signature, maybe it'll good for me.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

So any has both the E9 and HD650 or DX1000, please let me what you think about it. Which is more comfortable? Which has darker sound? I personally do love dark and warm cans, so if the E9 has that signature, maybe it'll good for me.

I have heard the HD650 and own the Edition 9. If you want warm and dark, stick with the HD650. The Ed9 is nothing like that. It's in your face, punchy, powerful bass, and the latter is an understatement, highs quite up front, fast, tight, razor-sharp and just in your face.
They drag you by your hair to listen to the music, senns are more relaxing, laid back (imo) although I can fall asleep with the Ed9 on my head
wink.gif

It's really awesome and my favorite headphone so far without a doubt. But I absolutely dislike the HD650/HD600. I do have to admit I have only heard the senns on my portable setup (see sig) and not on my home rig nor balanced and that's supposed to make a major difference, so...

Oh and just briefly listening to a lower model, like the Proline 750 will give you a small hint on how the Ed9 might sound but it's NOTHING like it, in its own way.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back