Is Head-fi Dying?
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 67
The golden age of headphones has passed and the golden age of IEMs is about to arrive.

Golden age of IEM is already here , with over the edge quality in chi-fi budget models , with 5k-10k luxury price brakcets for TOTL iems on different brands , with 13BA incapsulated in 1 cm and with people selling Susvara and headphone park for leaving with iem 'on par or better then' them

Btw head-fi is very alive and enormously so and bigger in many areas - that how it was 10 and more years ago , depending on what you read/select and on your interest, it is much more business oriented , and mass business oriented too , but DIY is very alive and well, and new businesses and brands are born every year from it as well

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 67
The golden age of headphones has passed and the golden age of IEMs is about to arrive.
… wait a few decades ==> golden age of hearing aids … 🤣🤣

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 67
i haven't noticed a decrease in forum activity.

in any event, it's still the best place to learn about heaphones and associated equipment. expensive headphones and amps have always been a small market - less than much more expensive 2-channel and way less than much cheaper consumer-grade ear buds/phones. but as long as people are interested in good sound, there will be a place for head-fi.

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #19 of 67
In order of magnitude for why Head-Fi is dying.:

1. Emerging options as described by @MakeshiftApe . This has been the case for some time now, and HF stays afloat from legacy, classifieds, Canjam, and classic bulletin-board style forum which is preferable to me.

2. Obvious bias and censorship as described by @nioh and the @ThEvil0nE . This is far less destructive to HF’s popularity than reason #1, but it is reason #1 why users seek out other classic bulletin-board style forums.

You could say HF has improved in some ways. For instance, just a few years ago this thread wouldve been locked or deleted, but instead it only got moved to the less trafficked members’ lounge. Another example, mentioning other forums was a bannable offense but is now tolerated. Another example, measurements used to be outlawed, then was created the sound-science subforum, and then eventually Jude embraced his own measurements.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 67
For someone who "doesn't fit in" you sure do post a lot

My post count is somewhat deceptive. Most of my 7000+ posts have been in the Head-Fi music forum.

I think it's possible to post alot, and still not feel like you fit in though.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #22 of 67
I’m curious where this idea is coming from?

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #23 of 67
Oct 18, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 67
This is one of the most active forums I know of these days.
Compared to the old days pre all the "social" media crud like fb and x etc things have quietened down for most forums yes.
This place is a rarity for the amount of life here and long may it continue.
As someone transitioning from trad hi-fi to binaural it's been a boon for me.

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 67
I think people are just tired and burned out having been dragged by forum influencers from one FOTM to another FOTM. Other headphone sites have more useful information with more experienced members providing more meaningful and extensive feedback and impressions (many are former Headfi members). If you seek information or want to learn more about this hobby there are better sources.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #28 of 67
Talking on from my perspective. There is a cost of living crisis in the uk so unless you have a very highly paid job then 2k iems or headphones arent something to consider. Its also not a great time to sell stuff as you won't get near what you paid. I feel also pretty saturated with constant new iems and daps being released. I used to constantly sell stuff to buy the new hyped items. I don't do that anymore

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 67
Talking on from my perspective. There is a cost of living crisis in the uk so unless you have a very highly paid job then 2k iems or headphones arent something to consider. Its also not a great time to sell stuff as you won't get near what you paid. I feel also pretty saturated with constant new iems and daps being released. I used to constantly sell stuff to buy the new hyped items. I don't do that anymore
I agree with you. Much more selective these days before spending any more $$ on this hobby. For me, it is more related to retirement and I guess a healthy skepticism of the FOM.

Leo

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 67
the DAP churn is very offputing.

but i no longer have a need for a portable or transportable device so have gotten out of the DAP game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back