Is burn-in real or imagined?
Jun 8, 2008 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I keep reading about headphones having to be burned in. Is this a real phenomenon or is it imagined? It makes sense to me that a person's ears and brain would take time to adjust to a new sound. In other words, that the user, not the headphones, needs to be "burned in." But does just running the headphones for a set number of hours make them sound different? That seems doubtful to me. They could just do that in the factory, couldn't they?

Has there ever been a test where people took two sets of identical new headphones, except one set had had music played on them for a set number of hours, and then it was determined whether people could tell the difference between the "burned in" headphones and the ones that weren't?

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep reading about headphones having to be burned in. Is this a real phenomenon or is it imagined? It makes sense to me that a person's ears and brain would take time to adjust to a new sound. In other words, that the user, not the headphones, needs to be "burned in." But does just running the headphones for a set number of hours make them sound different? That seems doubtful to me. They could just do that in the factory, couldn't they?

Has there ever been a test where people took two sets of identical new headphones, except one set had had music played on them for a set number of hours, and then it was determined whether people could tell the difference between the "burned in" headphones and the ones that weren't?

No need to search..

see the Stickies. The controversy has been explained.

I am an Agnostic Believer.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 96
Its real!
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to search..

see the Stickies. The controversy has been explained.

I am an Agnostic Believer.

lol, soo true for soo many things.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 96
Jun 8, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 96
Burn in and warming up I believe in.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 96
I know its real but not to the extent some people here will lead you to believe. 1000 hours for a SS portable amp? No. Few hundred hours for a new tube amp or for a set of K701s? Yes. Biggest difference I can relate to you were my 701s, they were very shrill when I received them and now they are smoother than they were out of the box. I didn't keep track of the time but I would say about 100 hours.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 96
Not to the extent many make it out to be.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 96
Burn in is real. Burn in is real. Burn in is real.

For me anyways. I am somewhat skeptical about burning in circuitry, but speaker cones, even the small ones inside headphones need burn-in to reach full potential. Cables need some burn-in too, but I'm talking 1 hours or less. Just make sure you use them all in the same direction.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 96
It exists, but not to the K701/Hornet level. They don't have burn in, they have some electronic version of continental drift.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 96
please consult your EE instructors or computer science professors.
They will likely also tell you that power cords are totally jokes too, all power cords are all the same. the "miles and miles of power wiring" theory.....

Why not do some tests and figure it out yourself?

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 96
to me burn in is real, because you believe it is (not the magic story kind of believe). you pay more attention, and so enjoy it more. although it probably improves the sq, barely so. that my two cents.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 96
Try it out with tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back