iPod Touch 4G is dying - next HQ source?
Jul 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi - just as stated in the title.

I was getting out of my car a few days ago, with my iPod on my lap. It fell a good 2/3 feet, on the corner, and now has a large set of cracks going along the glass. While the touchscreen still works, it's really annoying - and coupling it with the fact that the battery is dying very very quickly - only gives me 6 hours life now on regular use - I think I need to get a new source.

Requirements:
  1. 32GB + of storage
  2. Touchscreen is preferred.
  3. Sleek style, and not too 'clunky'

Are there any Head-Fi worthy sources that match my needs for on-the-go/college/library listening?

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 11
The Sony Z1060, Cowon J3, Philips go gear are good sounding for the price.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 11
In what format is your music stored?

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
In what format is your music stored?

While I would like to have my library in FLAC - many of the songs are hard to buy or find, so my library is in 320kbps MP3 CBR.
Quote:
 If (like me) you have a large library - or use itunes match - then this may well shape your choice....

All of my songs have been edited and sorted in iTunes, but I have also double-checked the tags and album art in MP3Tag, so I don't think I have a problem there..

My library is about 2000+ songs, 320kbps MP3.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Honestly?  Check the apple site for a refurb ipod touch 32 gig.  If you just use it for music then you should be able to get a 2nd gen one fairly cheap.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 11
There's plenty of ipod touches going on the FS boards here, look for a 4th gen and use EQ apps such as equalizer, EQU and Sonic Max pro because ealier generations are being phased out of these apps. If apps aren't a problem go for a lower generation. That'll get you the best sound out of them though.

A Cowon player will give you roughly 50 big hours of music playback but will cost you a few bananas.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
There's plenty of ipod touches going on the FS boards here, look for a 4th gen and use EQ apps such as equalizer, EQU and Sonic Max pro because ealier generations are being phased out of these apps. If apps aren't a problem go for a lower generation. That'll get you the best sound out of them though.
A Cowon player will give you roughly 50 big hours of music playback but will cost you a few bananas.

I'm thinking of maybe waiting for the next iPod Touch - hence why I've kept mine like this for so long. (It cracked a month ago or so)

I do use the browser and email a bit - so is the Cowon browser okay? Or would you recommend me staying with apple? If Apple, should I get one now, or wait for the next one?

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm thinking of maybe waiting for the next iPod Touch - hence why I've kept mine like this for so long. (It cracked a month ago or so)

I do use the browser and email a bit - so is the Cowon browser okay? Or would you recommend me staying with apple? If Apple, should I get one now, or wait for the next one?

I only have the S9, so I can't comment on Cowons browser. I'd probably pick up a cheap touch on the boards to rid of the six hours battery life you're having then wait for the next generation of touches. Just continue saving your money. You'll be surprised how much your old touch will fetch on ebay, even with crappy battery life and a broken screen. So many people are slaves to the itunes apple rave party. :xf_eek: It's almost like 80% of the worlds population wouldn't know how to transfer a song anymore without itunes so they sell easily. :rolleyes:

/Apple dislike rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back