iPod 7G: 120gb only
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #76 of 129
No 160 gbs in the UK store. any idea where I can get it in the UK? I really dont want to get an ipod, but for that high capacity, and a small size, i really can not think of any other mp3 player in the UK.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #77 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No 160 gbs in the UK store. any idea where I can get it in the UK? I really dont want to get an ipod, but for that high capacity, and a small size, i really can not think of any other mp3 player in the UK.

I'm pretty sure you can snag one up on ebay.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #78 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure you can snag one up on ebay.

well, you can get them from amazon etc as well. but i would only buy it if the price was severely reduced (near the 120 gb £179), and if it is from a reputable seller due to warranty issues. the extra 40 gb is not worth THAT much more to me.
It still bugs me that there is no alternative. I have 60+gb of music in flac, and would like to keep it in lossless (even though i have no use for it). As such, 32GB is not enough, and even with an SD card, of 32 GB, its just not enough for me.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #79 of 129
Quote:

well, you can get them from amazon etc as well. but i would only buy it if the price was severely reduced (near the 120 gb £179), and if it is from a reputable seller due to warranty issues. the extra 40 gb is not worth THAT much more to me.
It still bugs me that there is no alternative. I have 60+gb of music in flac, and would like to keep it in lossless (even though i have no use for it). As such, 32GB is not enough, and even with an SD card, of 32 GB, its just not enough for me.

I feel your pain. All my classical music are encoded in either FLAC or apple lossless and to carry it I need at least 80+ GB players but pretty much the only choices out there are ipod and zune. There may be some other players but they're bulky and ugly, nevermind poor UI. I bought the 160GB ipod hoping that someday I'll be able to rockbox it but it looks like it won't be happening anytime soon, if at all. I wonder if the industries other than Apple and Microsoft are ever going to release any solid high capacity players.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #80 of 129
Quote:

dvessel, I think you take my comments all too seriously.
redface.gif

Maybe so, but I always imagine you being serious all the time.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #81 of 129
Quote:

I feel your pain. All my classical music are encoded in either FLAC or apple lossless and to carry it I need at least 80+ GB players but pretty much the only choices out there are ipod and zune. There may be some other players but they're bulky and ugly, nevermind poor UI. I bought the 160GB ipod hoping that someday I'll be able to rockbox it but it looks like it won't be happening anytime soon, if at all. I wonder if the industries other than Apple and Microsoft are ever going to release any solid high capacity players.

yup, hoping for rockbox as well, just so that i dont have to convert my flac to alac when transferring. doesnt look like its going to happen.
frown.gif
At least in usa you have two options. stupid zune is still not here yet. would get it over the apple purely because of the FM, bigger screen, wifi and so much more.
one of the reasons i dont want an ipod is due to fm. i listen to it at night, and well, i dont want two devices.
Heck I am happy with my H10, but my mum wants a small mp3 player, and it seemed like a perfect oppurtunity to get an upgrade for me
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #82 of 129
Logistics make perfect sense from a business standpoint.

The regular iPod has probably suffered in sales compared to the Shuffle, Nano and Touch. So, why offer an expansive line with a ton of options on the least purchased product? It's perfect sense. Increase profit margins by only having to concentrate on one size HD by making more purchases at a lower cost.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #83 of 129
Quote:

yup, hoping for rockbox as well, just so that i dont have to convert my flac to alac when transferring. doesnt look like its going to happen.
frown.gif

If I am not mistaken, no rockbox for the previous gen so I do not see it happening for this gen

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #84 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The regular iPod has probably suffered in sales compared to the Shuffle, Nano and Touch. So, why offer an expansive line with a ton of options on the least purchased product? It's perfect sense. Increase profit margins by only having to concentrate on one size HD by making more purchases at a lower cost.

As sad as it is, that is pretty much the way the whole industry is going for. For regular folks, 16GB is more than enough for their downloaded tracks and 128kb/s ripped singles. Plus, it's as thin as a stack of papers and only as big as a matchbox. Honestly, who wouldn't like it? I think Apple's new nano is genius and will surely sell tens of millions this holiday season which 240GB, wi-fi, fm radio, bluetooth streaming ipod classic probably couldn't do. And all the other company's going to follow apple's strategy and continue to develop, mainly, small capacity players, which means, all of us audiophiles who have thousands of albums in our library are doomed for life.
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #85 of 129
^ On the bright side, when the 240GB drives come out. There should be nothing to prevent swapping it for the 160 but it will be expensive. I'd guess between $250-300 initially but that never stopped head-fiers.

I'll stick to smart playlists to stuff my 16GB nano for now.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #86 of 129
Quote:

frown.gif
At least in usa you have two options. stupid zune is still not here yet. would get it over the apple purely because of the FM, bigger screen, wifi and so much more.
one of the reasons i dont want an ipod is due to fm. i listen to it at night, and well, i dont want two devices.
Heck I am happy with my H10, but my mum wants a small mp3 player, and it seemed like a perfect oppurtunity to get an upgrade for me
evil_smiley.gif

I for one, really want FM radio feature in all ipods, or every other players for that matter. I have some favorite FM radio stations that I listen to almost daily but to do that, I have to either be at home or in my car. And it seems like the best programs are always on air when I'm not around any radios. Seriously, why am I still even carrying my ipod??
bigsmile_face.gif
Just can't help it.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #88 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Analog, the separate tuner Apple sells is not an option for you?

Yeah, I guess I can do that. Although, I'm not a big fan of anything dangling from my ipod let alone my 10 feet earphone cable. lol Right now I'm seriously thinking about selling my ipod and giving cowon a shot. The only issue is that they don't have any 80+ GB players in their line up.

IDK. I'm lost.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #89 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Analog, the separate tuner Apple sells is not an option for you?

Does the tuner adapter work w/the Classics? I thought it only was compatable w/the older gens.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #90 of 129
Quote:

Try this online store in the UK dedicated to Zune
Microsoft Zune Accessories - ZuneThings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back