iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #241 of 1,216
I was upset with the rumors.  When they confirmed the headphone jack was going to be removed I was furious and decided then I was jumping ship from apple.  

I then calmed down and started talking myself into a "jackless" life.  I have a pair of Sine headphones, although I don't have the cipher cable, but I'm sure that will be available soonish.  I can use the dongle in the meantime and life will be ok.  

Then I read more and more and thought about really not having the option to plug headphones into my phone, or having to carry a dongle with everywhere, or having to buy headphones with lightening cables and the anger rose again.  

I really wouldn't mind this move if Apple had presented us an option that was better than what we currently have.   Instead they have announced a wireless headphone that will only work with their phones that is going to run on Bluetooth.  If this was the plan, I don't understand why they didn't release the 7 with a 3.5mm jack and these new headphones.  Let people realize how much better it is and then slowly fade out the 3.5mm jack.  

As difficult as it is to leave the apple ecosystem after purchasing the original iphone and waiting in line for subsequent releases, I think it's time for me to part ways.  At least for now.  I'll see how this all plays out and in a year or so if this really did revolutionize audio then I can come back. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #242 of 1,216
  I understand all companies need to make money. Clearly Apple do a superb job of marketing - many people genuinely seem to have been convinced that the 3.5 mm socket was dumped for their benefit, not Apple's. The problem is, use of all these BT/Lightning Beats headphones and W1 AirPods did not require the removal of the 3.5 mm jack. Apple simply removed the users' choice. It's a deeply cynical ploy which leaves me questioning whether I would buy any Apple product ever again. I still have many Apple products at home, but frankly Apple is no longer the kind of company I want to give my money to.

I agree with most of this.

Apple dumped the 3.5 HP jack for their benefit, not the consumers. If the dongle gives equal performance to the current crop of iPhones, I suppose their work around will suffice, but still...I'm not thrilled it was dropped to begin with.

I had been an Android user for many years, but I was never 100% percent happy with any of the phones I had. All of them had various quirks, or issues that irritated the poo put of me. Then the iPhone 6 came out and I figured I would give the dark side a try.

I can say without hesitation that the iP6 is hands down the best, most reliable, bug and quirk free phone that I have had the pleasure of using. I had become a new convert. I even went so far as to go buy an Apple iPad to compliment my Windows tablet. Sadly, the iPad did not net me the same joy as the phone, and I found its performance to be lacking, so I returned it. My Windows tablet still works just fine and does anything I would expect a tablet to be able to do, with the speed I would expect from a portable and lightweight device.

My point is, I LOVE my iP6. No issues or complaints there. I thought ok, I have had the best luck with Apple phones, perhaps I will stick with them. I had heard the rumors of Apple removing the hp jack, but I didn't want to believe them. Then yesterdays Apple event  happened (I watched the entire thing for the first time ever) and I was saddened to see the rumors were true. However, the inclusion of the dongle assuaged some of my negative feelings, I must admit. The thing that irks me (but shouldn't come as a surprise) is that Apple removed the jack only to replace it with a proprietary bluetooth standard. But hey, you can get in on this now by buying our Beats or earpods with this amazing new tech built in!!!

Color me not impressed.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #243 of 1,216
Who else in the audiophile community besides Audeze has products that utilize a lightning cable? Anybody yet?

P.S: All of this heated bickering isn't going to accomplish anything but getting this thread locked.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #245 of 1,216
dude, how many times do we have to tell you that ITS STILL USING BLUETOOTH. So long as bluetooth is the median for wireless audio transmission, it is NEVER going to be at the level of quality as a 3.5mm headphone jack. Wires exist for a reason, they are they best and always will be the most consistent method and transferring data between devices 

LDAC (granted, a Sony proprietary solution) is lossless audio compression over Bluetooth; that addresses at least one issue with quality.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #246 of 1,216
Anyone know when Audeze is going to start selling the cipher cable separate from the headphones? It was originally
reported it would be shortly after launch, but then heard that Apple is not allowing them to release them yet.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #247 of 1,216
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/7/12839722/apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack-lightning-cable

I didn't see the new NuForce iem on their list.

Much obliged.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #249 of 1,216
I have read the positive and the negative takes on this highly controversial move from Apple that have been expressed within this thread, and I still must say: I don't view this as a bad thing. I would like to make the move to lightning headphones. However, I am going to wait until next year to upgrade my iPhone. Next year should contain greater changes for the iPhone since it will be the tenth year of the product line. I am excited to see what Apple has planned.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #250 of 1,216
Who else in the audiophile community besides Audeze has products that utilize a lightning cable? Anybody yet?

P.S: All of this heated bickering isn't going to accomplish anything but getting this thread locked.

Philips has had the Fidelio M2L for a couple years now.
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/M2L_27/fidelio-fidelio-headphones-with-lightning-connector

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #252 of 1,216
The only thing I hope coming out of this debacle is audio manufacturer won't suddenly overprice crappy SQ stuffed with gimmicks into wireless listening devices just because a wireless earpod with probably same "meh" sound quality cost $160. I'm all for change but I don't feel the usual "we'll include it when it's ready" from Apple this time, I can only feel greed and deception to normal people who don't really pay attention to technologies in general.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #254 of 1,216
LDAC is NOT lossless, its bit rate doesnt even allow for 96/24 with any modern compression, there simply isnt enough bandwidth. People are seriously grasping in this thread

Lossless 24-bit, no; lossless 16-bit/44 KHz, yes, is quite possible with 990 Kbps using lossless compression, and 990 Kbps is what LDAC uses in its highest quality mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back