iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #181 of 1,973
I recently purchased an IBasso DX50 and will be upgrading to an iPhone 6. It's not to late to return the DX50 back to Amazon. Is the iPhone 6 either as good or close enough to the DX50 get rid of the need to carry an extra device to listen to music?? I am aware I will be capped at 64 or 128GB of storage. 

HELP
Keep or Return

Thanks

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #182 of 1,973

Surprisingly I found that my iPhone 6 64G sound much better than iPhone 5S 64G when connect to my Vamp Verza, headphones is XS, I think it is a very strange thing, this is the first day I am doing this and tried a few songs at 16/44.1 ALAC and 16/48 ALAC.  All ALAC files shows the improvement and it is very easy to tell.

Without Vamp Verza, the iPhone 6 still sounds okay, but it lack of the warmth and rich details, not as sweet.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #183 of 1,973

...Ry Cooder's A Meeting By The River has an RMS of -28 dBFS so i bet it's the lower volume album you have ever listened to...

I just got done testing out Ry Cooder's A Meeting By the River (with the Shure SE846 and iPhone 6 128GB) and all I have to say is that was the longest ten minutes of my life!  I am just kidding. 
normal_smile .gif
  But seriously though, I thought the music was going to be able to put me to sleep, and then after a few minutes it thankfully ramped up in tempo and the use of additional instruments helped as well.  Very interesting, but a nice track to listen to, so I thank you for that, even if it was for testing purposes.

My conclusion from my listening observation is that with full volume, and use of the elevated perceived FR custom sleeves compared to sizes-fit-all tips (SCS) as well as the HL Silver Litz yielded absolutely zero clipping, just glouriously luxuorious-sounding music flowing through my ear canals and into my auditory cortex.

Since the tested song sounded great at full volume, once the song ended and went to the next song (gapless playback), I was in for a rude awakening, as the very next song was not recorded in the same manner as the "A Meeting By The River" song, so it went from loud and proud to instantly head blasting and upsetted flustering  Listening to the next Ry Cooder song that played in the search results kinda pissed me off further, but not because the volume was too loud in relation to the previous "A Meeting By The River" song.  Makes me not like Ry anymore. 
triportsad.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #184 of 1,973

...Ry Cooder's A Meeting By The River has an RMS of -28 dBFS so i bet it's the lower volume album you have ever listened to...

I just got done testing out Ry Cooder's A Meeting By the River (with the Shure SE846 and iPhone 6 128GB) and all I have to say is that was the longest ten minutes of my life!  I am just kidding. 
normal_smile .gif
  But seriously though, I thought the music was going to be able to put me to sleep, and then after a few minutes it thankfully ramped up in tempo and the use of additional instruments helped as well.  Very interesting, but a nice track to listen to, so I thank you for that, even if it was for testing purposes.

My conclusion from my listening observation is that with full volume, and use of the elevated perceived FR custom sleeves compared to sizes-fit-all tips (SCS) as well as the HL Silver Litz yielded absolutely zero clipping, just glouriously luxuorious-sounding music flowing through my ear canals and into my auditory cortex.

Since the tested song sounded great at full volume, once the song ended and went to the next song (gapless playback), I was in for a rude awakening, as the very next song was not recorded in the same manner as the "A Meeting By The River" song, so it went from loud and proud to instantly head blasting and upsetted flustering  Listening to the next Ry Cooder song that played in the search results kinda pissed me off further, but not because the volume was too loud in relation to the previous "A Meeting By The River" song.  Makes me not like Ry anymore. 
triportsad.gif

Thanks a lot for testing! If that tune sounds great at full throttle then clipping is a non issue with the SE846. I will keep on testing every iPhone 6 i come by so when i have in range a non gold non eu iPhone 6 i have already made up my mind about decommisioning my US iPhone 5s.

As for Ry...being a rock n roller that album at first made me think...i'm not making it through. But at some point its beauty, purity and pristine sound got to me and i have ended up loving that album. Ry Cooder's Paris-Texas soundtrack has some of the arresting beauty as well.

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #185 of 1,973
Thanks a lot for testing! If that tune sounds great at full throttle then clipping is a non issue with the SE846. I will keep on testing every iPhone 6 i come by so when i have in range a non gold non eu iPhone 6 i have already made up my mind about decommisioning my US iPhone 5s.

As for Ry...being a rock n roller that album at first made me think...i'm not making it through. But at some point its beauty, purity and pristine sound got to me and i have ended up loving that album. Ry Cooder's Paris-Texas soundtrack has some of the arresting beauty as well.

No worries.  Even though I had a full day today as I was up at 6 am yesterday for grad school purposes (it is 1:30 am where I am now) I still made time to get the test done.  I said I was going to do it, so I made sure to follow through with my word.

Regarding Ry, it wasn't the actual sound at all that was the reason why I don't like Ry anymore as I thought the music is superb - yet, when listening to every facet - it became apparent that I had to bid adieu to Ry.  I'm glad there is a multitude of other great sounding albums from other artists that are pristine on all levels and facets.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #186 of 1,973
Sorry if this has been mentioned here before. A friend of mine has the 6 and was surprised to find that the volume was about half that of his 4S. He's using Sennheiser 600's. (Personally I would expect them to need an amp even with the 4s) Anyone else found volume to be low on the 6?

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #187 of 1,973
Sorry if this has been mentioned here before. A friend of mine has the 6 and was surprised to find that the volume was about half that of his 4S. He's using Sennheiser 600's. (Personally I would expect them to need an amp even with the 4s) Anyone else found volume to be low on the 6?

Your friend iPhone 6 is subject to the EU volume cap whereas his 4s is not cause it was manufactured prior to Q4 2012 that was when Apple began to stick to the CENELEC white paper (whose deadline was January 2013). From Q4 2012 every ihandheld sold in Europe is capped and has weaker output power than non European handhelds. These days iPads are the only Apple portables that are not capped in Europe (due to the fact that they are sold without bundled earphones).

I bet that his 4s does not feature red colored volume squares (visual sign of the capping)

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #191 of 1,973
My friend tells me that the volume limit is off.

Sure he has the EU toggle off. But that just bypasses the 1st european limit (85db) but not the second (100db).

Jailbreak is the only way to match the non european iPhones output power. Been there last year, jailbroke and then sold my european 5s and purchased an american one so tnat i don't need the jailbreak.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #192 of 1,973
Sure he has the EU toggle off. But that just bypasses the 1st european limit (85db) but not the second (100db).

Jailbreak is the only way to match the non european iPhones output power. Been there last year, jailbroke and then sold my european 5s and purchased an american one so tnat i don't need the jailbreak.

So...are you gonna get the 6?  If so, what color and file size?

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #193 of 1,973
What struck my the most was the slopiness in the bass when compared to the tightness and quickness of iPhone 5s. Some people might like it the current way though (but to me the 5s sounds tonally more accurate and faithful to the music than the 6).

Can't agree more. Not listening on the 6+ without EQ

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #194 of 1,973

So...are you gonna get the 6?  If so, what color and file size?

As my library is 200+Gb the 128gb iPhone is a really tempting proposition.

That said i have to try more the iPhone 6 to be sure that i am not gonna miss the 5s headphone out (which i find stunning on its own right), then i'd have to decide whether it's the 6 or the  6 Plus the model that would work best for me, next i'd have to find a non European iPhone 6/6 Plus (non gold) and then i might commit.

Furthermore I've always sticked the s generation bandwagon as i find the s iPhones more rounded devices than non s generations.

To cut a long story short i don't see it coming anytime soon. I feel really happy with the american 5s 64gb i do have.

But never say never

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #195 of 1,973

As my library is 200+Gb the 128gb iPhone is a really tempting proposition.

That said i have to try more the iPhone 6 to be sure that i am not gonna miss the 5s headphone out (which i find stunning on its own right), then i'd have to decide whether it's the 6 or the  6 Plus the model that would work best for me, next i'd have to find a non European iPhone 6/6 Plus (non gold) and then i might commit.

Furthermore I've always sticked the s generation bandwagon as i find the s iPhones more rounded devices than non s generations.

To cut a long story short i don't see it coming anytime soon. I feel really happy with the american 5s 64gb i do have.

But never say never

Alrighty, well, hope you are able to keep using or purchase and use the iDevice that's right for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back