iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Dec 1, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #376 of 391

Can recall your useful posts.

About to make a year with the 5s as well and still impressed by the clarity of its headphone out. Sounds as pure as it gets.

Have listened a few times to the 6 but i find the 5s a bit better (tighter bass and bit more balanced). Out of my Westone UM3x and TDK BA200 at least.

If it was not for the 128Gb i would have not bothered in testing the 6.

I have read people claiming that the 4S has the best SQ. I have not heard of the 4S myself to be able to confirm that.

In any case, I am getting a 6+ for the 128GB storage and larger screen. Will see how it fare against the 5S for extended use.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #377 of 391
I enjoyed a 4s for 2 years. Great headphone out but i like the 5s a pinch better.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #378 of 391
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a 5S instead of another DAP. I tried it at my local Apple store with UERM and it sounded fine for my purposes (a couple of hours listening at work).

My concern is that I listen at pretty low volumes: is there a way to fine-tune the volume range or would I be stuck with the large jumps that the buttons/slider make?

Thanks much.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #379 of 391
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a 5S instead of another DAP. I tried it at my local Apple store with UERM and it sounded fine for my purposes (a couple of hours listening at work).

My concern is that I listen at pretty low volumes: is there a way to fine-tune the volume range or would I be stuck with the large jumps that the buttons/slider make?

Thanks much.

You can set volume limit on the iPhone to both limit the max output level and to lower the jump in each volume steps.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #380 of 391
You can set volume limit on the iPhone to both limit the max output level and to lower the jump in each volume steps.

Thanks. That's what I do with my old iPod 5.5, so I'll go back to the store and mess around with the 5S to see if that works.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #381 of 391

I have read people claiming that the 4S has the best SQ. I have not heard of the 4S myself to be able to confirm that.

In any case, I am getting a 6+ for the 128GB storage and larger screen. Will see how it fare against the 5S for extended use.

IMHO, 4s is louder than both 5 and 5s but the SQ is way better on 5s !

The iphone 6 sounds different from previous releases, it's SQ is quite similar to an HTC One M7, compared to the 5s it has more bass with a little '' hello'' from Beats Audio !

Since Apple own Beats Audio, we should hear more Beats effect in future releases and I really dislike it
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #382 of 391

IMHO, 4s is louder than both 5 and 5s but the SQ is way better on 5s !

The iphone 6 sounds different from previous releases, it's SQ is quite similar to an HTC One M7, compared to the 5s it has more bass with a little '' hello'' from Beats Audio !

Since Apple own Beats Audio, we should hear more Beats effect in future releases and I really dislike it
frown.gif

iPhone 4s is not louder than iPhone 5s (unless you have an European 5s).

Note: at time of release iPhone 4s was not capped as the nasty EU cap began with iPhone 5 (applying though to replacement iPhone 4s assembled from 2013 on)

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #383 of 391
Mine is not from the EU and still, I just recheck whether I'm wrong, the 4s is a "bit" louder than 5s ! I remember that my first iphone 4 wasn't that loud neither but when I rebought it about 9mths later I got one which was 75% louder than the first one, I think it's within batches, everybody knows that that hardware issues are solved within next batches, such as the rattling power button on the gray 5s and the loose home buttons on some early units as well

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #384 of 391
Mine is not from the EU and still, I just recheck whether I'm wrong, the 4s is a "bit" louder than 5s ! I remember that my first iphone 4 wasn't that loud neither but when I rebought it about 9mths later I got one which was 75% louder than the first one, I think it's within batches, everybody knows that that hardware issues are solved within next batches, such as the rattling power button on the gray 5s and the loose home buttons on some early units as well

I don't buy that idea. I have had 3 European iPhone 5s and all had the same output power. I have had 2 US iPhone 5s and both had the same output power.

At the same time i had a 2011 iPhone 4s and theUS 5s and outpu power was the same 1 volt (open load)

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #385 of 391

I don't buy that idea. I have had 3 European iPhone 5s and all had the same output power. I have had 2 US iPhone 5s and both had the same output power.

At the same time i had a 2011 iPhone 4s and theUS 5s and outpu power was the same 1 volt (open load)

Believe it or not, things got very different from one device to another of the same model, I used all iphone releases from 2007 to 2014 and rebought some of them just a couple of months after release coz I broke ,lost or got the first unit replaced, they all weren't the same !

Maybe firmware updates ??? I clearly doubt it
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #386 of 391
Hi, I have a Iphone 5, IOS 8.1.2, non Apple earphones.

Has anyone successfully removed the EU volume caps?

Here's what I've tried so far.

As others have said it's quiet, especially with high ohm non apple headphones.

I used TaiG to jailbreak.
I use Ifunbox to copy files to and from PC
I use plist editor pro under Windows to edit the files.

I have a SPL/RTA audio prog on the laptop and a jack lead from iphone headphone to laptop.

Freashly restored IOS 8.1.2:
Playing white noise mp3 EU volume limit ON and calibrate the RTA software to 85db.

original:
//system/library/frameworks/mediatoolbox/framework

/N42/EUVolumeLimits.plist
<key>HighVolumeLimit</key>
<real>0.0</real>
<key>LowVolumeLimit</key>
<real>0.63</real>

/N42/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
<real>0.90000000000000002</real>

/default/EUVolumeLimits.plist
<real>0.83999999999999997</real>
<real>0.59999999999999998</real>

/default/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
<real>0.83999999999999997</real>

Full volume RTA=96db
EU volume limit on RTA=85db

editing:

/N42/EUVolumeLimits.plist
<real>0.63</real>

/N42/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist

/default/EUVolumeLimits.plist
<real>0.63</real>

/default/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist

Full volume RTA=97.5db
(same files in both locations, default and N42)

deleting:
Both files in /default
Full volume RTA=97.5db

Changing:
Values to 1, in all or either files in both or either locations:
Full volume RTA=97.5db

Deleting and restoring:
restore original files to /default
delete both files from /N42
Full volume RTA=99db !
BUT, switching EU Volume Limit toggle crashes/restarts IOS
Stopping and starting a track causes volume to go to zero, manually turn back up.
Turn volume of to full gives high volume warning and orange bar, has to be turned up again.

I did not install Openssh or change any file permissions during this, it didn't seem to matter.

Anyone know how to get:
Full Volume to 99db and the EU Toggle switch still work?
That seems to be the max from the phone, unless anyone knows different?
Which if any of these files are in place on a US/Non EU phone?
If they are in place on US phone, contents?
I have read to restore via VPN from itunes with a US IP, does this work? Does it have any regional impact on cellular etc?

*the db values are examples, just a reference on laptop.

I also tried the instruction from Post 302 of this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682937/iphone-5c-and-5s-audio-output/300#post_10413365

The Full volume limit is now RTA=99db
With the EU volume limit toggle on the RTA=73db

Cool, I thought, maybe the EUVolumeLimit.plst number is a percentage of the slider and the top of the slider is now 1.2 as opposed to 1. When toggling the EU Limit the volume slider does indeed jump to about halfway rather then 3/4.

But, exiting settings and music apps and running them again the limits reverted to as I had them set in the previous post.
Full=97.5db
EU=85db

I'm going around in circles and getting nowhere certain.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #387 of 391
Does anyone know how to increase the storage for the 5s externally? I have a 16gb 5s, I wasn't expecting to use it for listening to my flac files on the go so I got the cheapest version. Also, the lightning port card reader sold by Apple hasn't been compatible since the 4s. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #388 of 391
Does anyone know how to increase the storage for the 5s externally? I have a 16gb 5s, I wasn't expecting to use it for listening to my flac files on the go so I got the cheapest version. Also, the lightning port card reader sold by Apple hasn't been compatible since the 4s. 

That would be quite a challenge ! As long as we speak about android there's always a solution with OTG but too many restrictions with Apple devices, maybe with jailbreak and some tweaks things might got better, try to google around :blush:

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #389 of 391
5S paired really good with my Grado SR125e.  Itunes an half power volume is perfect. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #390 of 391
According to the new audio metrics – statistical difference testing - iPhone 5C has better audio quality than all iPhones (3G ... 6) - http://soundexpert.org/portable-players. The results of 5C measurements are identical with 8 and 9 iOS, so iOS is not a reason. Audio performance of 5C is very similar to iPod shuffle 4G, probably they have the same audio circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back