Introducing VentureCraft SounDroid VALOQ [SDP-1]-Impression thread- Check second post for updates
Dec 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #136 of 659
  There are also dedicated low-pass IC, MAX291 for instance. To be honest my knowledge in this field is basically non-existent. It appears the entire purpose of LPF is to certain task however MUSES8820 is not designed to be LPF but it is more an operation amplifier taking up that job. 

Same here and I agree.  As long as the pin out and voltage/amp spec matches the Valoq, I say experiment away.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #137 of 659
I did a further reading, it appears AK4490 has integrated LPF for DSD however for PCM they left it up to designer to play around with it. Perhaps this is why DSD sounds different than PCM (to me better). 

I have ordered a set of BUF634P, in theory it is not needed however it should reduce impedance further and further improve current, lower consumption (if i am not mistaken) and improve performance for dynamic drivers.

I did a lot of reading and all the highly regarded OPA series are over-kill as LPF only cares about lower freq and BUF634 should do that fine. 

EDIT: BUF634 has different variation, the P variation is said Bigger sound, fuller bass and mids, U more neutral, drier mids and treble focused is more. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #138 of 659
I just placed some lossy files and used the upsample and I like, I like very much. While I didn't quiet like how PCM-PCM upsampling sounded I do like mp3-24/176.2 upconversion. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #139 of 659
Sad to report the white line problem happened on my unit................Anyone had actually come up with an answer as to why this is happening? If this is a software issue then possibly it could be cured by firmware upgrade or simply resetting the unit? I dare not do anything of that sort until I got an answer with authority

Not distracting enough to ditch the Valoq...........I like the sound very much and I have been living with the white line for 2 days now.........but it's still quite a pain to see that. I am not too keen on a swap under warranty as I picked a unit with a serial number I like a lot.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #140 of 659
My guess is firmware, the lines appear after a period of usage. From what I was told via the last email I got from the seller VC are working for a solution which means this is a firmware issue.

I also like the sound of valoq and I believe it has the ability to reach the level of portables like lotoo. At times I sense the player lacks resolution but I am waiting for other IC/opamps to arrives so I can play around. I had positives results with muses01.

I like its optical out, pairs nicely with Mojo, however as a stand alone I think for a first attempt they did an okay/very good job. I will report later as I age the unit more.

I am getting 9+ hours of battery life per usage, so that is a big plus. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #141 of 659
By the way, I put the OPA627BM on my Vantam yesterday- sounds perfectly now!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778234/new-venturecraft-soundroid-vantam-jazz-master-limited#post_12197471

Will definitely buy the OPA627AP for VALOQ

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #142 of 659
  By the way, I put the OPA627BM on my Vantam yesterday- sounds perfectly now!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778234/new-venturecraft-soundroid-vantam-jazz-master-limited#post_12197471

Will definitely buy the OPA627AP for VALOQ

Good to know.  Both my AP and Valoq should be here tomorrow.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #145 of 659
Unboxing:

1, Box Front

2, Box Back with Specs.

3, Inside.

4, Contents.

5, SDP-1 Up Close.

6, Player Side View.  From left to right: microSD slot, hold slider, back buttom, and scroll wheel with click button.

7, You turn on the DAP with the top volume control, and you will feel the click when turning the wheel from the far left for on/off.

8, To change from Japanese to English: 1, use the scroll wheel to go all the way to the bottom of the list; 2, click in the wheel to conform language options; 3, scroll up and click in for English (Simplified and Traditional Chinese are also supported).

9, the AKM4490 family.

10, Here is something I learn from the Practical Device XM6: you can bypass the OpAmp from the DIP 8 socket by bridging pin #3 and #6 as pictured.  This will be helpful to those who want to use an analog amp with the Valoq, but want to take the LPF Amp out of the chain.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #146 of 659
p.s. I ran into a minor issue with my stock SanDisk 200 Gb card: somehow the Valoq will not read anything from it without reformating.  My card is factory stock and was loaded with FLAC and DSD for my AK Jr., but now I have to reload everything again...  So far no firmware update yet but I hope VC read this and address this problem.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #148 of 659
One question re charging: Is it that once the light changes to constant green blinks the battery is fully charged?

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #150 of 659

10, Here is something I learn from the Practical Device XM6: you can bypass the OpAmp from the DIP 8 socket by bridging pin #3 and #7 as pictured.  This will be helpful to those who want to use an analog amp with the Valoq, but want to take the LPF Amp out of the chain.

Interesting! Is this self-made or you can buy those bridges?
Actually this is strange. Why they have not managed a normal line out? It is obvious that many people use portable amplifiers.

And how does VALOQ sound in comparison with others from AKM family?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back