Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #451 of 4,830

smily_headphones1.gif
Brooko, now you have my interest piqued for the Altone 200, EXCELLENT review by the way. Has anyone including yourself, as yet had the opportunity to A/B compare them against the 250 and 350's? I'm sensing some kind of undercurrent about how good the 250 is and how the 350 is somehow lacking despite it's premium price.

Yes, there is a disturbance in the Force....

Sorry to sidetrack this thread.

Thanx,

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Not yet (for me) unfortunately - but I will get to hear the 350 as part of a tour (probably in May).  I'll do a full review on them - including comparison to the Altone200

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #453 of 4,830
You and me both, Brooko
beerchug.gif

Just had the 350s for a couple of days here. Very lush, rich SQ. Bit on the warm side. Found them a little bass-heavy for my tastes, but very pleasant to listen to, and totally non-fatiguing. From the sounds of things, the 200s will be right up my alley.

The housing cylinder of the 350 is on the big side (fairly wide and long). I had to fiddle with them a bit to get a comfortable fit as I tended to insert them too deep, which then caused vacuum issues in my ear canals. When I had them in a good listening position, I found the housing stuck out a bit, which made the cables flap about and not stay behind my ears, even with the provided ear wraps (there's no cable cinch).

Anyway, this is moving away from the Trinity topic, so I should probably stop there. I'm totally stoked about getting the Delta in a little while, along with the Hyperion. Great seeing the KS campaign winding down so successfully.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #454 of 4,830
hakushondaimao: Luckily, Hyperion and Delta look more like Altone200 shape. It's a very good shape for getting a good fit - for me anyway.

P.S. - If you've still got the 350's, try Sony Hybrids if you've got some. I find they help get a good, secure fit faster than the stock silicon tips and help tame the high end a bit if you find it a little hot.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #455 of 4,830
@hakushondaimao: Luckily, Hyperion and Delta look more like Altone200 shape. It's a very good shape for getting a good fit - for me anyway.

P.S. - If you've still got the 350's, try Sony Hybrids if you've got some. I find they help get a good, secure fit faster than the stock silicon tips and help tame the high end a bit if you find it a little hot.

Good to know about the Delta and Hyperion fits. Tried both Sony Hybrids and Spinfits with the 350s (sent on already), and they did help. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #456 of 4,830
smily_headphones1.gif

Einstein, Newton and Pascal are playing a rousing game of hide and seek. Einstein begins to count to ten. Pascal runs and hides. Newton draws a one meter by one meter square in the ground in front of Einstein then stands in the middle of it. Einstein reaches ten, uncovers his eyes, and exclaims “Newton! I found you! You’re it!” Newton replies “You didn’t find me. You found a Newton over a square meter. You found Pascal!”

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #457 of 4,830
smily_headphones1.gif
Okay. Just one more....

Helium walks into a bar and orders a beer. The bartender says, “Sorry, we don’t serve noble gases here.” Helium doesn’t react.

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #458 of 4,830
A Roman walks into a bar, holds up two fingers, and says “Five beers please!”

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #459 of 4,830

Techne Update

Those following the KS and also this thread will have noted that we've been a little quiet regarding the Techne, mainly because there had been some issues surrounding the filters.

I'm pleased to be able to advise that Bob has identified a small issue with the rear port (partially blocked in the preproduction samples) which we've now been able to clear, and hear the Techne as Bob originally tuned it.

Bob already has some new filters on the way to myself and Mark so that we can revisit our reviews, and although this may not get to me before the completion of the KS campaign, I can let you know what the changes will be.

Bob tells me that the final filter colours for the Techne will be:

1. Red = the old silver (nothing changes sonically).  There is a little more bass now that the rear venting is clear.
  2. Gunmetal = the new middle filter.  This is on it's way to me from the UK now, and I'll comment on it once it arrives. The major change with this one is the addition of a membrane, which basically allows Bob to slightly tone the highs, and slightly adjust the bass.  This will become the middle or smooth filter.
  3. Purple = the current gold filter.  This has remained the same, and this is the one I'm going to comment on, as the adjustment on the rear vent has given this filter a new sonic footprint, and it's one I absolutely love.  

Set-up: Techne with gold filter, Fiio X5 (no EQ), Comply foam "sport" tips, my usual test tracks.

The gold filter formerly was a very vivid filter, great articulation of mid-range, and an elevated upper-mid range and treble - but vivid without being peaky.  It was sadly a little light in the bass region though. With the port now being cleared, it has allowed the dynamic driver to vent properly, and given its bass impact back again.

So the gold filter now becomes the flat, but vivid / reference filter.  Bass is present and brilliantly articulate - there when called for, but quite linear (definitely no mid-bass hump). I'd imagine a lot may find them still a little bass light - and that is where the coming replacement gun-metal filter will help.  The golds however have already become my favourite filter with the Techne, and I'm really enjoying the adjustment. Female vocals now have a little weight in the lower registers (Norah is magic), and now bass guitar is coming through clear and clean.

Rock is a lot more enjoyable as well - especially acoustic. I'd probably like just a hint more bass with my rock tracks - but I can easily achieve this with EQ.  The nice thing now thought is the overall presentation just has a lot more balance.

So thumbs up on the gold Bob - and I look forward to getting the new filter soon.

PS - these are a real bargain at their price point - but still don't beat the Delta with middle filter for me.  That remains (for my tastes) the pinnacle of the Trinity line.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #460 of 4,830
smily_headphones1.gif
Just looked at the kickstarter website today. WOW, over $80K in pledges. Good work Guys.

I can't wait to hear those Deltas Bob.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #461 of 4,830
£80K is far more than we could have ever expected. My initial thought was that we may just hit funding target by the end. So we are quite blown away by the response.

We cant wait to ship them out, I am very proud of what we have managed to do with the tuning and style of these and hope you like what you hear.

Cheers
Bob

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #462 of 4,830
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanx Bob. They Look Fantastic and I highly trust the opinions of Our three members who have the review samples.

Assuming these take off, which I have no doubt they will, any plans for some future models Like perhaps a Dynamic + 2BA's?

Cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #463 of 4,830
  £80K is far more than we could have ever expected. My initial thought was that we may just hit funding target by the end. So we are quite blown away by the response.

We cant wait to ship them out, I am very proud of what we have managed to do with the tuning and style of these and hope you like what you hear.

Cheers
Bob

good job! hope to hear my Delta soon.
A full sized headphone soon?

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #464 of 4,830

smily_headphones1.gif
Thanx Bob. They Look Fantastic and I highly trust the opinions of Our three members who have the review samples.

Assuming these take off, which I have no doubt they will, any plans for some future models Like perhaps a Dynamic + 2BA's?

Cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Hi TwinACstacks,

I have some plans for at least 2/3 other models, 1 being a gym use model and a on-ear and over ear set of cans. The cans will be very different from most offerings from materials down to how they work. More to be revealed at a later stage.

I have a real love/hate relationship with dual BA's. Mostly when using them in a hybrid set up they are too bass heavy and a pain to get the tuning right, for me a single balanced BA works a treat combined with a Dynamic.

I do have some single BA IEM in the office that I made 5-6 months ago and they are almost spot on, just need a little tweaking for sub bass, but this is based on my own tuning. So you never know what may happen in the future, just have to crack that bass issue :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #465 of 4,830
  good job! hope to hear my Delta soon.
A full sized headphone soon?

Yes full size . They have been in my sketch book for quite some time and I have been finessing the design. All I am prepared to say publically at this stage is that they will be much like the Trinity range we have now and will be all polished and brushed Aluminium and steel with a feature not seen before. Most likely we will launch another KS campaign for this later this year once I have finished prototyping and testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back