Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering
Apr 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #391 of 4,830
Dun prefer the idea of mic and volume button as well.

I will be be using them on my dac or dap anyway and having more functionality of a cable may lead to higher chances of sending the cable back for replacement due to failure of mic and button. Btw if I am not wrong the duration for replacement back and fore may take up to 3 to 4 week using normal tracking mail service.

I personally think that if you are going to add something to a cable, add something that is not so functional.

Like a simple decorative wooden or plastic bead with or without the word "kickstarter" engrave on it after the y connect to act as a cable guide/slide will be enough for me

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #392 of 4,830
  I use IEMs that are both over the ear and worn straight down.  In the gym I prefer the latter as I find myself often removing them to speak with people who want to share equipment or simply to be social for a few moments.  I've also found that memory wire is often unnecessary for over ear IEMs, though that might not be the case with the Hyperions which are very small and light.

I do favour the option of a shorter cable, another reason I like my AKG 323xs.  If a connector is too complex it might be an option to simply offer two separate cable lengths for Hyperion buyers,

On a related note I just received a kickstarter e-mail about stretch goals and I'd like to chime in with my vote vis-a-vis microphones: No, please.  I never use them.  I'd prefer a more varied selection of tips or simple doubling up the foams.

i'm almost the opposite - i want over-the ear because it's more secure, and because i don't just do weights.  if i'm hitting a heavy bag, or on the rower, or on a waveboard, or rollerblading, on doing capoeira, then the over-ear fit is the *only* one that stays put.  and, with that, the memory wire is the only one that stays put in the long term, too. admittedly, i'm not exclusively using mine in the gym (although i still massively prefer the memory wire for that), but i do believe that the memory wire is the reason that both the shure se215 and meelec m6p/s6p are the most often recommended gym headphones.

short cable - no brainer for gym/exercise use, for me, as most of the time i arm-mount my mp3 player/phone.  the only time it isn't, it's usually in a breast pocket or i use a different set of headphones or an extension cable.  for people who waist mount, the longer cable is a requirement.  different cabling for different needs; you either need an extendable cable, or a swappable cable, or various cable options.  either way, someone's unhappy.

as to the mic... depends on my usage.  i often find myself plugged into my phone, and the convenience of being able to pick up a call is useful. in the gym, the controller button is actually what i want rather than the mic (i'm working out - why would i take a call?  but skipping/pausing a track is a very useful function).  extra tips/foams, i go the other way - don't see the point.  you'll settle on one that you like, and most of the time it won't even be what it shipped with in my experience.  foams plus silicon tips is plenty, and keep the costs down for both the manufacturer and the buyer.  after all, buy the headphones for £30, and you can have another £20 to spend on the tips of your choice for the same £50 budget as a set that come with a myriad array of tips of which you'll use one set at best.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #393 of 4,830

@bruxinho, the cable itself is very nice at the moment. This is at least from what I see and Bob said. Adding an extension cable might make the sound worse as adding joints or jacks to any cables can cause some noticeable loss in overall sound.

I had ATH CKM50 in the past and it has a short cable and extension cable as you mentioned. It was good with its short cable but when I plugged the extention cable I was hearing some loss in overall sound. Even though it might look as a good idea to add a plug for extension cable, the results might be worser than what you think. So I don't prefer any extentsions or jacks on any Trinity models since I don't like the idea of loosing the overall sound quality. Of course, except the short right angled jack adapter. 
wink.gif

it's a fair point, but it does depend on your usage.  for general listening, the longer cable wins.  for gym use, the short cable + extension will be fine for the majority of cases; if you're working out you don't need *perfect* quality as if you're working out right it's only background.  the difference in one joint will be minimal - you're already happy with the adapter, so it's no different to that. certainly, the meelec s6p i'm using now has no appreciable difference between having the extension cable in use.  it's like a car radio - how hi-fi can it really be with background noise and vibration?  in the gym, the background noise is added to your internal noise and the effort you're putting it and the heartbeat pounding in your ears...  there's a limit to how much difference an extension cable will make in that scenario.

like i said, though, i'm in the process of discussing the gym usage separately to the kickstarter offering; the only thing i would like to see added for the release on kickstarter is memory wire as personally i find that more comfortable and secure, and it would allow gym use with them if i wanted to chance it (even though they're not sweat-proofed).  the techne's over-ear fit look ideal for that, but the lightness and sealed nature of the hyperion suggest that would probably work too.

utterly perfect for me would be delta + memory wire, techne/hyperion + memory wire and a short cable + extension and a control button so i could use them in the gym.  ideally, the techne would come with a fixed filter, too, for that use to make them more secure/sealed.  but that's for me, and for my use case only.  even with the long cable, i'd likely chance techne/hyperion as gym headphones if they had memory wire as a) i reckon they'll sound better than my meelec s6p if my alfa genus are anything to go by and b) the secure fit is a higher priority than the cable length and controller for that usage.  just as headphones?  well, i pledged for the delta for that.

but that's perfect *for me* and for my *use cases*.  i doubt every other person would agree. in fact, one of the more interesting discussions (to me!) i had was with another user who preferred a long, fixed cable for his exercise use as it involved stretching, which meant a short cable + extension was more likely to come loose.  he also taped his at the back of his neck, which doesn't work for me as i have long hair, but meant he didn't see the need for memory wire.  two very similar usages, but two different preferences.

ultimately, you can't make everyone happy.  the option is to make multiple variations, or to make something customisable.  but it's bob's choice as to where he wants to take it, as it's his company and his design.  if he wants more input from me, or testing of prototypes, he's got it for the asking.  otherwise, all i can do is see what other people want and let bob see whether there's any sort of consensus, or whether there's room for innovation.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #395 of 4,830
Gulp - hope they live up to everyone's expectations then .......

No - really, they Hyperion is a steal for the money, and the Delta still remains one of my top 3 (if not top - haven't decided yet) IEMs at the moment.  There is something about the signature .....

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #396 of 4,830
Gulp - hope they live up to everyone's expectations then .......

No - really, they Hyperion is a steal for the money, and the Delta still remains one of my top 3 (if not top - haven't decided yet) IEMs at the moment.  There is something about the signature .....

You haven't led me too astray yet, Brooko :)

I haven't read over all of this thread (too much KS "rewards" talk to sift through) but I did read the reviews. Something that struck me was that you (Brooko) said the Hyperion were v-shaped with an Altone-esque sound sig, whereas Mark thought they sounded lean (and Mark's not a big fan of the boom-boom, iirc). Any thoughts on that?

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #397 of 4,830
Yeah - Mark and I often hear things differently.  He's used to (prefers) richer, fuller sounding earphones.  I have always preferred headphones that are a little cooler, and have a lot more detail. So in comparison with my normal earphones - I hear something which is mildly V shaped.  Mark hears something leaner.  Will also depend on the source you use too.  I notice he used the Studio Anniversary 3 - I also used to own that (wonderful DAP).  It is quite bright, and headphones tend to sound little lean and bright out of it.  I also used to own the E7 and E9 combo he has.  Both of those can also sound a little thin and lean compared to my NFB-12, or even X3ii or X5.

When I did my comparison and wrote the review though, I did actually A/B against the Altone quite a bit - and I do stand by my assessment that they have a similar type of sound - V shape.  Hyperion has a little less brightness, and a little more balance.

I noticed above that you said "it's like the Altones but better".  It's not better, but I think it'll give you a measure of Altone like sound, with a bit more balance (less top end), for a lot less money.

BTW - I added the Hyperion graph to my review.  You can see the mild V/U quite clearly.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #399 of 4,830
redface.gif

I'm just aware that it might seem as though I've over-hyped the Hyperion and Delta - and I know a lot of people have backed the project because of my review.  But I do absolutely believe in both IEMs, and to me they both represent incredible value.  I just hope they are to everyone's tastes.

You'll note I haven't included the Techne in above comemnts.  I can't really say too much on that yet - as I'm still to receive the tweaked filters (hopefully next week).

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #400 of 4,830
  Yeah - Mark and I often hear things differently.  He's used to (prefers) richer, fuller sounding earphones.  I have always preferred headphones that are a little cooler, and have a lot more detail. So in comparison with my normal earphones - I hear something which is mildly V shaped.  Mark hears something leaner.  Will also depend on the source you use too.  I notice he used the Studio Anniversary 3 - I also used to own that (wonderful DAP).  It is quite bright, and headphones tend to sound little lean and bright out of it.  I also used to own the E7 and E9 combo he has.  Both of those can also sound a little thin and lean compared to my NFB-12, or even X3ii or X5.

When I did my comparison and wrote the review though, I did actually A/B against the Altone quite a bit - and I do stand by my assessment that they have a similar type of sound - V shape.  Hyperion has a little less brightness, and a little more balance.

I noticed above that you said "it's like the Altones but better".  It's not better, but I think it'll give you a measure of Altone like sound, with a bit more balance (less top end), for a lot less money.

BTW - I added the Hyperion graph to my review.  You can see the mild V/U quite clearly.

ahh indeed.

no two people ever hear things exactly the same because identical twin aside no one has the same ears.  they are supposed to be as unique as fingerprints.

yeah i dont find the litte hyperion to be be super bassy.  the word lean sounds like its saying they are over thin sounding wich they arent really,  but i did find that whes you boost the bottom a little they make good use of it.

the Technie's though they pull more towards the big bottom.  there is talk of tweeking its filters more (which is why its reviews havent appeard as of yet) and i think that the Technie using that same driver as the hyperion shows off what it can do in the bottom end.  it makes it a bit bassy for me, not that it isnt an entertainer though.  i found myself always something back to the Technie with its new black filters (with treble taming foam inside) as the one id go with.  lol because im ever the one to stear away from treble.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #401 of 4,830

redface.gif

I'm just aware that it might seem as though I've over-hyped the Hyperion and Delta - and I know a lot of people have backed the project because of my review.  But I do absolutely believe in both IEMs, and to me they both represent incredible value.  I just hope they are to everyone's tastes.

You'll note I haven't included the Techne in above comemnts.  I can't really say too much on that yet - as I'm still to receive the tweaked filters (hopefully next week).

Hi Brooko,

I REALLY love your reviews, and your opinions are invaluable to me!
A quick question for you (my sincere apologies if I have missed it already being asked / answered):
I listen mostly to rock / alt. rock (Coldplay, Muse, etc), and going to receive my X3 2nd gen any day now. I do like bass that has some kick to it, but I am not a bass head. Just like it a little more bassy than 100% flat / neutral...
I am debating between the Hyperion and the Delta. Now, I know for a fact that even if I end up with the Delta - I will audition all 3 filters, choose 1 of the filters, and will never switch filters ever again. 
I do NOT consider myself an audiophile by any mean, and I have not been tested for many years, but I seriously doubt my hearing is perfect...

So, having said all that, and I know it is very subjective - is it worth the very high price premium of the Delta compared to the Hyperion?
Would the difference in sound, for mere mortals with imperfect hearing, be worth paying 3x the price?

Looking forward to your answer, so I can place my KickStarter pledge  :wink:

Keep up the excellent work of reviewing gear for us all :)

Zachi.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #402 of 4,830
Thanks for following-up Brooko and mark2410. I appreciate your continued thoughts on something besides whether or not we get an extra hoo-haw dongle in the package :wink_face:

Brooko: Techne's design puts me off, so I wasn't considering that anyway.

Mark: Things like this led me to believe the Hyperion was On the lean side:

First thoughts: "Gosh, very open and airy sounding. Vocals especially have a very airy take on them and quite some prominence, not particularly mid centric but they do like to jump out a bit at you. Treble seem likewise very open and airy."

On bass: "Still it’s pretty reticent to jump forward and show off, you have to goad it with some heavy bass tracks for it to come out and even then, upper mids and lower treble still like to command your attention."

To be clear, I'm not trying to be contradictory or anything. I enjoy your reviews, Mark. In fact you're another of my go-to reviewers because you don't make everything rosy and have a fun writing style. I'm just putting in a couple quotes that helped form my impression that the Hyperion were somewhat lean to your ears.

Looking forward to H20Fidelity's reviews! You're another of my go-to reviewers - and you introduced me (among others) to the Altones, which I adore. Put myself to sleep with Altones + DX90 with latest fw last night :l3000:

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #404 of 4,830
Looking forward to @H20Fidelity's reviews! You're another of my go-to reviewers - and you introduced me (among others) to the Altones, which I adore. Put myself to sleep with Altones + DX90 with latest fw last night :l3000:

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back