Introducing the Denon MD5000 Deluxe Edition & MD2000 Deluxe Edition
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kostalex,
I haven't heard any of the Darths, but I'm not all that curious.

The best endorsement I can make for the mod-ed D5000 is that I owned the Sony MDR-R10 for years and years and just loved them. I tried everything that came out in the meantime, but nothing came close. Stock D5000 was seriously flawed, but it had potential.

"Seriously flawed"? Come on, Markl. I've been reading this thread with curiosity since I am a D5000 owner, but you're being just a bit dramatic with that statement. A stock D5000 is an incredible set of cans.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #48 of 65
woof07,
FWIW that's my genuine opinion. I wouldn't want to spend any real time with them stock. They just aren't listenable for me.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woof07,
FWIW that's my genuine opinion. I wouldn't want to spend any real time with them stock. They just aren't listenable for me.

Noted. I can't find anything in them that I'd call glaring or unlistenable. I find the K701s unlistenable, though, so it's all relative I guess.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #50 of 65
OK, this thread may be retiring, but markl Mods is NOT.
smile.gif

Please continue to use the menu of services here for all your modified D5000 needs, and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions about having your phones mod-ed.

A new sponsored thread will be started soon, once the new Denon D7000 is released. We'll have mod options for that phone plus a few surprises that have been a long time in the works. Cheers.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #51 of 65
disheartening....

i havent even gotten my D5k's yet and the 7K modded are coming.

any ideas as to when D7K markld may appear on the horizon? 3,6,9mths
confused.gif

you may want to think about a trade in policy?
wink_face.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #52 of 65
Hi Quaddy,
I'm waiting for them just like everyone else. I wish I had an in with Denon so I could get an advanced pair to experiment with.
smily_headphones1.gif
So, I'm waiting for whenever they come out (October? No one seems to have a definitive date yet that I've seen). Then I need to tinker with it, see what works best. It may be a simple matter of transferring the same mods over to it, maybe not. May also require looking at different wires, too. There's other factors I can't talk about that could push it out a bit further still, it all depends on what Denon has done with it. All we have now are some inconclusive pictures and speculation. So I have no idea what an ETA will look like, I want to get it right rather than get it out fast, if you know what I mean.

Also, for all we know, it could be a real stinker of a headphone and not worth upgrading.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #54 of 65
Well, they wouldn't be surprises, then.
biggrin.gif

All these moons and planets have to line up some time before December, to be in time for the holidays, that's for sure. My elves and I will be very busy...

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #55 of 65
Can anybody who has used the D5000s with Jena cable (and/or markl himself) comment on the durability of it? My stock cable seems to be wearing out (cotton is puffing out) and I'm considering a recable since it's supposed to improve the sound anyway... but the Jena cable doesn't have Kevlar or anything in it, and it looks rather flimsy, so I'm afraid it would get worse wear on it. Also any ideas for really heavy-duty cables that sound nice on the D5000s?

Finally, I was wondering on the pricing for getting the recable only on my Denon D5000s. It says it is $439 for 5.5 feet for "phones other than Denon", would it be cheaper for Denons?

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #56 of 65
Hunted Charlie,
The Jena wire is actually very hardy, durable stuff. The outer plastic sheath is very strong; you can step on this cable over and over with your full weight and it will not cause harm. The wire is also knotted at the bottom of the inside of the ear cup assembly, so there's no way that the cable can be pulled out or disconnected from the headphone itself.

If you like, however, we do offer some additional black nylon sheathing or tech flex for a small extra fee. Cheers.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #57 of 65
just received my modded recabled D5K's the other day, i will post on my thoughts down the line, after running them in more, but aesthetically the phones are very nice indeed, the recabling is high quality too, specially with my furutech XLRS and laquered cups
cool.gif

thanks mark for getting them to me as specified, nice dealing with you, great experience.

heres a few shots i took if anyones interested

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful work! Mark, did you re-spray the D5000 that Quaddy received? They sure a lot shynier than I remember the stock ones.

I was wondering the same thing...if they'd been sprayed or waxed, that is. They sure look nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back