Introducing the Aurisonics Auris
Nov 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #31 of 113
Here's another thought:  People claim bluetooth is more convenient but I don't see it that way.  I already have a phone, tablets and music players that regularly need recharging.  I don't want to add my earphones to that pile.  Especially considering the battery life of bluetooth IEMs is unlikely to be good.

Plug in an extra peripheral at night or fumble around with a cable in a crowded train, I choose the former. Everyone has their own preferences though.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 113
  It's not about the driver, it's the fact that Bluetooth uses heavy compression.  Here's a link that explains Bluetooth has improved but isn't at the same level as wired audio: http://lifehacker.com/does-bluetooth-audio-still-suck-1505063323

If getting rid of the cord is more important to you than sound quality, then no, it won't be an issue.

Here's another thought:  People claim bluetooth is more convenient but I don't see it that way.  I already have a phone, tablets and music players that regularly need recharging.  I don't want to add my earphones to that pile.  Especially considering the battery life of bluetooth IEMs is unlikely to be good.

Let me ask you a question: have you tried a state-of-the-art bluetooth-based mobile rig in practice for at least a few days?

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 113

Let me ask you a question: have you tried a state-of-the-art bluetooth-based mobile rig in practice for at least a few days?

I own a Definitive Technology Cube bluetooth speaker I paid too much for.  I've also heard a lot of other expensive Bluetooth speakers all of which sound better with a wired connection.

Head-fi is often about people chasing the best sound quality for their dollars.  I don't believe Bluetooth can offer that yet and the science backs me up.  If you prefer the convenience of a wireless connection (but the inconvenience of repeated charging) then that's your choice but we shouldn't pretend Bluetooth can match wired for sound quality.  In time it doubtless will but now it's a big fat compromise.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #36 of 113

I own a Definitive Technology Cube bluetooth speaker I paid too much for.  I've also heard a lot of other expensive Bluetooth speakers all of which sound better with a wired connection.

Head-fi is often about people chasing the best sound quality for their dollars.  I don't believe Bluetooth can offer that yet and the science backs me up.  If you prefer the convenience of a wireless connection (but the inconvenience of repeated charging) then that's your choice but we shouldn't pretend Bluetooth can match wired for sound quality.  In time it doubtless will but now it's a big fat compromise.

So, for the record, the short answer to my question is no. You haven't tried a state-of-the-art bluetooth-based mobile rig in practice. You're simply making assumptions based on beliefs.

And sorry to say, science doesn't back you up either. Good old SBC codec was already capable of very good audio quality at high bitrates, with artifacts below human hearing threshold. And aptX is even better.

I've been using BT-based portable rigs in practice for years, and I made this post back in 2012. Since then, the wireless headphone market has been exploding. Whenever you leave your quiet room and step out into a noisy environment, you're making a compromise. In my (and many other's) experience, the compromise you're making with a state-of-the-art portable bluetooth rig vs. wired is negligible compared to the former one.

I'm very much looking forward to the Auris, as well as to the Earin. These are exciting times!
smile_phones.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #37 of 113

So, for the record, the short answer to my question is no. You haven't tried a state-of-the-art bluetooth-based mobile rig in practice. You're simply making assumptions based on beliefs.

And sorry to say, science doesn't back you up either. Good old SBC codec was already capable of very good audio quality at high bitrates, with artifacts below human hearing threshold. And aptX is even better.

I've been using BT-based portable rigs in practice for years, and I made this post back in 2012. Since then, the wireless headphone market has been exploding. Whenever you leave your quiet room and step out into a noisy environment, you're making a compromise. In my (and many other's) experience, the compromise you're making with a state-of-the-art portable bluetooth rig vs. wired is negligible compared to the former one.

I'm very much looking forward to the Auris, as well as to the Earin. These are exciting times!
smile_phones.gif

Thanks for the links. I've bookmarked that updated aptx device list. I'm quite looking forward to the Earin and Auris. I think the Earin wireless charging pod is a great idea and a nice step forward in convenience.
I wonder what the rumored "TRIBE" functionality is, on the Auris. Just tell us already @AxelCloris 
biggrin.gif

Although I do not have very high hopes for the sound quality on the DASH, it is a testament to how much technology can be crammed into a tiny wireless earpiece.

PS: In your experience, which is the best(all round) and/or handiest receiver you've come across? 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #38 of 113

Thanks for the links. I've bookmarked that updated aptx device list. I'm quite looking forward to the Earin and Auris. I think the Earin wireless charging pod is a great idea and a nice step forward in convenience.
I wonder what the rumored "TRIBE" functionality is, on the Auris. Just tell us already @AxelCloris 
biggrin.gif

Although I do not have very high hopes for the sound quality on the DASH, it is a testament to how much technology can be crammed into a tiny wireless earpiece.

PS: In your experience, which is the best(all round) and/or handiest receiver you've come across? 

I've never heard of the Earin. Interesting . . . They're a tad small for my tastes though. I'd be deathly afraid of loosing them.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #39 of 113

biggrin.gif

Hmm, as best I know I'm not really supposed to talk about the Tribe functionality yet so I think I'll play it safe and not reveal much about it yet. I will say that the Tribe name was specifically chosen because of its association with communities and that it is an actual feature of the headphones, not some social networking site or anything like that.

When you talk about receivers, do you mean something like a BT dongle that you can connect to a headphone? If so I haven't had good luck with any, honestly. I've purchased several devices for BT pairing over the years and kickstarted a few as well. Most times there's terrible interference, choppy/inconsistent connections, and/or terrible execution that just makes the music unlistenable. The ones that weren't unlistenable didn't thrill me in any way, unfortunately. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread the Pendulumic Stance S1 has so far been the only BT implementation to really impress me. I got positive vibes from Dale and the prototype so I'm really hoping that he and his team can pull off the same feat with the Auris.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #40 of 113

Hmm, as best I know I'm not really supposed to talk about the Tribe functionality yet so I think I'll play it safe and not reveal much about it yet. I will say that the Tribe name was specifically chosen because of its association with communities and that it is an actual feature of the headphones, not some social networking site or anything like that.

When you talk about receivers, do you mean something like a BT dongle that you can connect to a headphone? If so I haven't had good luck with any, honestly. I've purchased several devices for BT pairing over the years and kickstarted a few as well. Most times there's terrible interference, choppy/inconsistent connections, and/or terrible execution that just makes the music unlistenable. The ones that weren't unlistenable didn't thrill me in any way, unfortunately. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread the Pendulumic Stance S1 has so far been the only BT implementation to really impress me. I got positive vibes from Dale and the prototype so I'm really hoping that he and his team can pull off the same feat with the Auris.

I know you can't reveal much. But, thanks for the tiny peek. :)

The receiver/dongle question was mainly directed James, because he's been following the technology and its implementations for a while now. Please do let me know if you come across a decent one.
The Stance S1 piqued my interest too. But a few reviews mentioned that there was quite a difference between the different modes. I hope I can audition them at some point.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #41 of 113
Maybe current Bluetooth IEMs may not have enough to power the likes of TOTL CIEMs due to their focus on mobility, but for microdynamic drivers, with the current aptX tech, it's doing quite well as reviewed by |joker|:

Quote:
ljokerl November 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm

"How’s the review on the bluetooth comparison coming along? I wanna ask my wife for BT IEM’s for Christmas. Any frontrunners?"

Deep at work on that but it’s mostly larger headphones and only a couple of IEMs.

Only two wireless IEMs I actually like are the SBH80 and the Plantronics BackBeat GO2. I like the form factor of the BackBeat better in theory but in practice the SBH80 is the better headphone – better sound, better battery life, more comfortable in the ear, and even better microphone. The only thing the Plantronics has going for it is slightly better range and the lack of the neck pod. 

Read the article at: http://theheadphonelist.com/sony-sbh80-review-mh1c-goes-wireless/

I agree with his assessment on the Sony SBH80 and MH1C comparisons, as I own both. The BT SBH80 sound very close to, if not at the same level/better than the wired MH1C.

With each new release of Aurisonics receiving overwhelmingly positive feedback from the Head-Fiers, and with the Auris utilizing the same microdynamic driver as the Rockets, I'm looking forward to what Aurisonics can bring to the Bluetooth IEMs.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #42 of 113

Read the article at: http://theheadphonelist.com/sony-sbh80-review-mh1c-goes-wireless/

I agree with his assessment on the Sony SBH80 and MH1C comparisons, as I own both. The BT SBH80 sound very close to, if not at the same level/better than the wired MH1C.

With each new release of Aurisonics receiving overwhelmingly positive feedback from the Head-Fiers, and with the Auris utilizing the same microdynamic driver as the Rockets, I'm looking forward to what Aurisonics can bring to the Bluetooth IEMs.

Agreed on the Sony SBH80 as the best all-in-one solution I've heard so far. I've tried it for a few days and it left me pretty impressed. Since then, I've recommended it to a few friends and colleagues, all if which have been very happy with their purchase. Even a professional nitpicker
wink.gif
 like Rin Choi had only good things to say about the SBH80:

CONCLUSION:  I've never been a fan of wireless audio in my life. Back in 2004, I purchased a wireless headphone made by Sennheiser at a local audio shop called Good Guys. The sound quality was extremely horrible, not to mention a gross static noise that always lingered in the background. I absolutely hated the quality, and never looked back at the wireless technology since then.

And 10 years later, in conjunction with the latest innovations, Sony finally brings a wearable device that fulfills the standard of the most demanding customers, such as Hi-Fidelity audiophiles. For me, this is a ground breaking moment, which shatters my 10-years-long preconception. From enhanced sound quality to a long lasting battery, there have been so much improvement with the technology, which can truly be described as "Hi-Fidelity".

As for receivers with 3.5mm HPO, the LG BTS1 has the best SQ I've heard so far. Though, like with all audio components, good/bad synergy is a factor with BT receivers too. I can say that my BTS1 sounds stellar from my Galaxy S3 with Neutron player, connected to a short-cabled RE600. A level of sound quality that doesn't fall very short of the best wired rigs I've heard. However, pairings with other sources and earphones may not yield quite the same results.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 113

smile_phones.gif

Let me start by saying I'm not out to attack wireless audio.  The truth is I like the technology and I've already spent over a thousand dollars on Bluetooth speakers and am likely to buy others as the category improves (and I can feel confident in more expensive purchases).  My experience is that Bluetooth just isn't there yet and the parade of equipment reviews I regularly read on both major and minor sites largely agrees.  There is usually an improvement with a wired connection and when there isn't it's often because the product in question is lo-fi to begin with.

I appreciate your link and it prompted me to search for more information about Bluetooth audio and specifically Apt-X.  The makers of Apt-X make a lot of claims for their method of compression but so far I haven't found much in the way of scientific corroboration.  Compression doesn't have to be a bad thing if it's handled well but often it hasn't been or isn't.  I'd still take a FLAC file over a an MP3 when I'm offered the option.  Similarly I've noticed that movie audio has improved tremendously since offering the option of lossless formats.

Over time wireless will get better, technology almost always does.  If Aurisonics creates an impressive entry in the field I may even jump in (who doesn't like new toys) but for now my Kickstarter contribution is going to a wired 1964/Adel universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back