Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Feb 18, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,458 of 1,644
Here’s a summary of the correspondence I’ve received from Mitch. He’s finished the filter now so we should see it on his site soon!

The LCD-R’s tonal response reminds me of the LCD-4 that you can see the frequency response on my website. Except the LCD-R has that “ribbon” sound with that ultra-smooth top end.

The headphones measure quite flat but do benefit from a filter. The filter can bring back the deep bottom to be -3 dB at 20 Hz. The measured “bump” in the 600 Hz to 1.2 kHz pushes the lead vocals a bit forward and sounds just a bit dark or muddy. Also, that broad dip in the 3.5 kHz range dampens the lead vocals and instruments upper midrange which contributes to the slightly darker presentation.

These sure are special headphones! They sound warm, yet highly detailed at the same time. I don’t hear that in any of the planars…
I am finished the tuning and I think it sounds incredible! The bass has been extended and the midrange now has the correct timbre for lead vocals and instruments. The top end is something special. I was able to “open up” the sound as the signature without the filter is just a tad on the dark side. With the filter, both the high frequencies and sound stage opens nicely to even finer HF details and wider soundstage.
48AC18A1-D5F8-4775-90EB-5E304DE8E005.jpeg

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,460 of 1,644
Filter is up on Mitch’s site! I’m away for a month so haven’t had a chance to try yet:

https://accuratesound.ca/product/audeze-lcd-r-filterset/
Anyone bit on this yet? I'll need to read more into it for J.River integration (vst) - With Audeze headphones blossoming with EQ - I'd think there would be a resource on their website to get the headphone to their optimal tuning without needing Reveal. I know there are a bunch of EQ settings spread throughout the entire forum, but it would be nice to have a consolidated list.

Did anyone have the "Squig Link" for the LCD-R ?

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,461 of 1,644
I'm confused by what these are. An EQ set for $175?

It looks like you can do a trial offer and check it out. Seems oddly expensive for just the data points ($175) given the number of free options now available for EQ. It's also deceiving how stretched out their frequency response graph is. It looks like the biggest difference in FR is only like 2db?

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,462 of 1,644
Those filters are very exciting and almost tempt me enough to revisit the LCD-R.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,463 of 1,644
I'm confused by what these are. An EQ set for $175?

It looks like you can do a trial offer and check it out. Seems oddly expensive for just the data points ($175) given the number of free options now available for EQ. It's also deceiving how stretched out their frequency response graph is. It looks like the biggest difference in FR is only like 2db?
You are paying for the time Mitch spent measuring the headphone and then creating the EQ. I doubt he will make much money from this considering how few LCD-R were produced. If you can create a better one yourself, there is of course no reason to buy it. I don't personally think that I can, but I'm waiting for a review or two before I buy.

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,464 of 1,644
yes, the upside financially for a filter that will work with a grand total of 75 units isnt very high

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,466 of 1,644
Using the graph, I kludged a parametric EQ set-up (except the bass, as I'm not using the original amp) and they definitely sound more even that way.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #1,467 of 1,644
I use a slightly modified version of Resolve's EQ. The Reveal plugin for the LCD-X 2021 is not a good match at all in my opinion. It would be nice if Audeze posted a reveal plugin for the LCD-R, or if they did what @M3NTAL suggested and posted various versions on their site. If EQ is how Audeze intends their headphones to be used, they should make it easy for everyone to get the proper EQ settings.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,468 of 1,644
I use a slightly modified version of Resolve's EQ. The Reveal plugin for the LCD-X 2021 is not a good match at all in my opinion. It would be nice if Audeze posted a reveal plugin for the LCD-R, or if they did what @M3NTAL suggested and posted various versions on their site. If EQ is how Audeze intends their headphones to be used, they should make it easy for everyone to get the proper EQ settings.
Oh Yeah! I updated my J.River and it didn't import the EQ profiles. Your profile IS the one I use.

I 100% agree with you. All the Pre '21 products would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME to have Audeze's idea of final tuning. Their new wireless products are much cheaper and have DSP with multiple tuning options. Some of us paid decent money for Reveal - I know it's apples and oranges, but it lacks options that those cheaper non-reference products offer. I'll be bold and say - all the way back to first round production 2.1 Slats to "A" grill transitional phase.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,470 of 1,644
Oh Yeah! I updated my J.River and it didn't import the EQ profiles. Your profile IS the one I use.

I 100% agree with you. All the Pre '21 products would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME to have Audeze's idea of final tuning. Their new wireless products are much cheaper and have DSP with multiple tuning options. Some of us paid decent money for Reveal - I know it's apples and oranges, but it lacks options that those cheaper non-reference products offer. I'll be bold and say - all the way back to first round production 2.1 Slats to "A" grill transitional phase.
I use Roon, which is nice, since Reveal is included, but I tend to prefer some of the "bespoke" offerings that other users have posted for EQ over Reveal. I think Reveal is a decent option, and allows for "Wet vs Dry" EQ tunings and some other configurations, but the fact that non-Roon users need to purchase Reveal is kind of silly.

The only option given for the LCD-R from Audeze is to use the LCD-X 2021 Reveal plugin which is not even close. They are not at all the same headphone, and the EQ profile is not good at all. I know it's a small select group that owns this headphone, but Audeze takes all this time to measure it while building it, at least just make a profile for it in Reveal.

The fact that Audeze understands that their headphones have some misgivings due to getting the proper hardware and mechanical tuning of the headphone that they need to recommend/use DSP, they should offer some EQ profiles that people can use for free when purchasing an $800 to $4500 headphone so that it sounds its best. Listeners are usually shocked at how well EQ really awakens Audeze headphones. They are great out of the box for the most part, but EQ really pushes them to sound their best, and how Audeze has intended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back