Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Apr 28, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #301 of 323
Hello,

Can anyone provide me some assistance with my new Intona Industrial Edition (Black) please? My setup is as follows:

Desktop PC --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Intona Industrial --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Schiit Gungnir USB

The problem I am experiencing is that I cannot establish any sort of connection with the Intona. When connected to the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports of my desktop or laptop, Windows 10 immediately reports the device as "unrecognized." Both machines are running the latest Windows 10 "creators" update.

The USB 3.1 ports on my desktop seem like they are going to work, because I can hear the Gungnir's relay switching on and off, but then a solid connection is never established and the Intona goes into "suspend" mode. Are my USB cables the problem? 2.0M is the shortest amount of cable I can have between my PC and the Gungnir. Is 2.0M of cable just too much? Or is there something else at play here?

EDIT: I grabbed a completely random printer cable from storage and discovered something interesting. I will illustrate:

Desktop PC --- Random Printer Cable ---> Intona Industrial --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Schiit Gungnir USB [THIS DID NOT WORK]

Desktop PC --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Intona Industrial --- Random Printer Cable ---> Schiit Gungnir USB [THIS DID WORK]

I confirmed that neither of the LH Labs cables are faulty as well, so it must be something weird about the LH labs cables that prevents them from working properly between the Intona and the DAC. In that case, does anyone have any quality USB cables that they recommend for using along with the Intona?

Thanks!

- InsanityOne
confused.gif

I also find that USB cables make a difference -experiment. Also - you might have to look into getting the firmware upgrade. (I'm currently on the list to get mine updated).

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #302 of 323
I also find that USB cables make a difference -experiment. Also - you might have to look into getting the firmware upgrade. (I'm currently on the list to get mine updated).

I am glad that I am not the only one who experiences this. As for getting the firmware upgraded, am I still allowed to do that even if I bought my Intona secondhand? I don't have the receipt but I do have the original packaging.

- InsanityOne :k701smile:

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #305 of 323
I also bought mine 2nd hand - they still allow it. Contact Daniel via their website.

Nice! I will do that for sure!

What exactly does the firmware update do in regards to SQ?

It shouldn't do anything for SQ, it should only improve the functionality / reliability of the device. (AFAIK)

- InsanityOne :darthsmile:

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #307 of 323
Hello,
I really concern about the Intona. Is it worth the money up till now ??
My set up right now : Laptop -> Audioquest Coffee usb -> Chord Hugo ( can Hugo get any benefits from this isolator ?! )

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #308 of 323
Hi to know whether its worth it you need to try one out for yourself. I personally went and bought one as others raved about its ability to improve without listening two years ago. It did change the sound and I thought for the better but after listening for some three months and removing it I found it had a slight glazing effect on the sound not dissimilar to what I have heard trying many power supply devices/filters. These devices do some good things but underlying also take something away. My Intona has been back in a year later and removed straight away. It now lies in a cupboard with other devices I have tried over the years. All these devices are band aids and can improve sound depending on your current system hence try it. Find a second hand one. You have an excellent DAC I suggest you replace your laptop with a dedicated fanless PC would give you much greater improvement. I have yet to hear any laptop that beats a standalone dedicated audio PC. The source is always the most critical to sound. You would not believe the sound you are missing by running a laptop. I started with a laptop many years ago and will never go back.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #309 of 323
Hi to know whether its worth it you need to try one out for yourself. I personally went and bought one as others raved about its ability to improve without listening two years ago. It did change the sound and I thought for the better but after listening for some three months and removing it I found it had a slight glazing effect on the sound not dissimilar to what I have heard trying many power supply devices/filters. These devices do some good things but underlying also take something away. My Intona has been back in a year later and removed straight away. It now lies in a cupboard with other devices I have tried over the years. All these devices are band aids and can improve sound depending on your current system hence try it. Find a second hand one. You have an excellent DAC I suggest you replace your laptop with a dedicated fanless PC would give you much greater improvement. I have yet to hear any laptop that beats a standalone dedicated audio PC. The source is always the most critical to sound. You would not believe the sound you are missing by running a laptop. I started with a laptop many years ago and will never go back.

Appreciated your advice. I plan to finish my chain systems first then the final step is the laptop (source). Because at first, I think if I invest money to good cable so it can deal with the distortion on usb port. I will give it a try on Intona :D

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #310 of 323
I have a couple of Jitterbugs that work to improve the sound a bit. I tried one of the most popular noise de-crapifiers called The Regen. It did not do a thing in any of my ‘setups’. But the Intona! I bought the more expensive of the two. Worth every penny. Better clarity. Separation of instruments. And buzzword blah blah on and on. Can’t do without it. But TONS of Head-fiers love The Regen. I haven’t tried the Regen with my new Audeze Mobius headphones yet!

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #311 of 323
After listening in few hours, It seems like Intona put a thin layer on the sound that doesn't mean the sound is dull or not clear. Normally, I will get tired after listening around 1 hour but with Intona it feel like more relax.
There are few thoughts after i listen a Intona Standard version.

Edit: Its not like a thin layer, it feel like the sound a little bit recess.
My setup : laptop - supra usb cable - Intona - Audioquest coffee cable - Hugo - Rs2e

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #312 of 323
I have been using the Intone 3.0 in my system for a while and since y'day it stopped working, meaning, the computer won't detect the dac if it goes through the Intona. When the dac is directly connected to the laptop, it works like a charm. I tried to test all my usb cables, and it was always the same result, so I ruled out the cables as the source of the problem. anyone could help me out on this with a good advice? This little thing makes a nice difference in my system and I intend to keep using it. Thank you

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #313 of 323
I have been using the Intone 3.0 in my system for a while and since y'day it stopped working, meaning, the computer won't detect the dac if it goes through the Intona. When the dac is directly connected to the laptop, it works like a charm. I tried to test all my usb cables, and it was always the same result, so I ruled out the cables as the source of the problem. anyone could help me out on this with a good advice? This little thing makes a nice difference in my system and I intend to keep using it. Thank you
it sounds like maybe a power problem - I would try another USB port...

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #314 of 323
Just ordered a 2019 version Intona 7055-B (not the USB 3.0 version). It will be here in a few days. I have 30 days to demo. Found a page on another forum where users of the €23,000 Taiko Extreme server said it actually made a difference (!?!? :thinking:). Looking forward to trying it. Anyone have one and use it with a power supply? That was the main reason I wanted to try the newer version vs the older version. I have a couple 5v LPSUs to try.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #315 of 323
Intona in the house. I knew it was small, but didn't realize how small! It's about the size of your outstretched hand. Very light as well. So far it's been 16 hours or so of playing. I hear potential -- layering is more distinct; more definition, cleaner sounding overall. I may be hearing a bit more recessed soundstage and tighter (but not as deep bass), maybe a bit more congested. They seem like things that may get sorted with burn in so will continue to play and see.

Have not tried using an external PSU yet, want to give it more time without first.

IMG_20200730_123911.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back