Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Nov 16, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #226 of 323
Anyone using Intona with a Schiit Modi2 MB by chance?

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #227 of 323
I have a modi multibit and will be getting  an intona stnd very soon. By the way do you know of the best way to connect one dac to two amps without sacrificing any sound quality. thanks. also if you use two intonas from two usb ports to feed two dacs does the fact that one intona is in standby while the other is on cause any issues? i was thinking power drain from computer or negative effect on intona that is active ie on. thanks

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #228 of 323
 To check on the effect of each piece of gear, I then removed the Regen and LanRover (individually and together). To my great surprise I preferred the sound without either of these units. They both added an overly weighty and bloomy bass and an artificial "hi-fiish" quality to the music. Without them the sound is very revealing, neutral and balanced

This is from a closed thread XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! - Page 231

I found the industrial Intona has similar effect and have now removed it from my setup. Computer-Benchmark DAC2-Amplifier.

This after upgrading XXhighend software to latest Windows 10 version. I have not replaced it with anything else at this point. 

People considering this device should borrow one and listen for an extended time if possible. It does give the impression at first its an improvement but underneath its also removing something from the sound.

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #229 of 323
Robert,
The audible changes you hear are 100% from analog noise making it through to the DAC along the USB power rail...the data for the audio is intact.
So no matter what you add: Regen, intona, Landover, etc. if the DAC is poorly designed it allows the aforementioned noise into the USB interface and even into the innards of the DAC.
I had a revelation on the importance of keeping any noise ripples away from my DAC and had perfect fidelity (stunning clarity transparent to a high end CD transport via AES) when I inserted clean 5v power on the USB (less than 5uV noise) with a musical paradise MP-U1.
YMMV ... But I sold all my USB thingys and expensive USB cables afterwards. Clean +5V on the USB made all the difference.
Hence...when you changed to Windows 10 .. the noise profile from your motherboard changed...and changed on the USB. This is the difference you were hearing.
Dan

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #230 of 323
Thanks Dan, I'm currently looking at a Holo Spring NOS DAC and Torq suggests using IS2 is better than USB, mind you that's using the Singxer SU-1 USB digital interface, more money and boxes. USB has been problematic. Benchmark say their DAC2 usb input doesn't need any boxes before it. But the Intona did improve some aspects of the sound.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #231 of 323
I had an Intona. It's exclusive audio benefit is to regulate the +5v coming fro the PC...brings noise down to 60uV. Alas, even this miniscule ripple is audible.
USB done right is starting to happen (finally)...but don't accept the mktg talk. Try it out.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #232 of 323
I just checked out the MP-U1 USB Power Isolator 5V, the price is good, better than the Intona. I also thought the Intona galvanically isolates both the digital audio and power supply to the USB. Interesting as the Intona was developed solely for industrial purposes. Now even JCAT have adopted it to sell in a flash case to HiFi users.

Is the MP-UI inserted the same as the Intona? Computer - MP-UI - DAC2 - Amplifier.

Some guys on CA have been running separate power feeds to USB by splitting cable. I'm not keen to tweak things that much.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #233 of 323
The MP-U1 uses high quality Panasonic batteries LDO regulated to get noise under 5uV. I have run everything on this: my DAC, Chromecast Audio, Dragonfly Red. Makes a huge difference...and seems to last forever on battery. No concern there.
Yes..PC-MPU1-DAC...the box splits out the power... leaves data lines as is. you just need a short USB bridge cable.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #234 of 323
I had an Intona. It's exclusive audio benefit is to regulate the +5v coming fro the PC...brings noise down to 60uV. Alas, even this miniscule ripple is audible.
USB done right is starting to happen (finally)...but don't accept the mktg talk. Try it out.

Actually even with cut 5v usb cable, ground crap from the laptop/computer can ride through the ground wire into the dac digital/analog stages. Especially if you have ground loops coming from the usb cable.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #235 of 323
how can you tell if you're dac is consuming the right power to work with the intona or mpu1. for eg mpu1 states your device doesn't use more than 2.1A. also what happens say if your dac is mains powered but has a usb input. where would the mpu1 fit in here. surely the dac doesn't need external power here if only for the handshake. for eg if i used the oppo ha1 with the intona how do i know the intona will supply enough current to work with ha1. i read intona max current out is 500mA.

however if you have a mains powered dac with a usb input then the output current of the intona is not relevant here. it is only relevant then for usb powered dacs?? im still learning!! can someone check this.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #236 of 323
Music,
Even powered DACs need some basic power on the DAC for handshake. My exaSound driver did not see the dAC when the power line was cut.
USB spec is 2A...that's what the mpu1 gives. Intona consumes some amps and I guess let's through just 500mA after filtering....enuf for a powered DAC

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #238 of 323
Would love to try the Musical Paradise thing but the manual charge/on switch behind the unit is a pain in the ass. I wish it would work automatically and charge over night when not listening. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #240 of 323
I just checked out the MP-U1 USB Power Isolator 5V, the price is good, better than the Intona. I also thought the Intona galvanically isolates both the digital audio and power supply to the USB. Interesting as the Intona was developed solely for industrial purposes. Now even JCAT have adopted it to sell in a flash case to HiFi users.

Is the MP-UI inserted the same as the Intona? Computer - MP-UI - DAC2 - Amplifier.

Some guys on CA have been running separate power feeds to USB by splitting cable. I'm not keen to tweak things that much.

The Idefender does all the hard work if you don't like fiddling with wires....
Use what ever 5v feed you want... I use a 20000mah power bank. and you get a safe ground lift after handshake. But I run transport from my phone and the ifi Ipurifier 2+ intona kills the phone battery...
Just a note..I splashed out on a Airlink balanced isolation transformer....
Very nice boost. better bass... staging.. detail...but sound is on my B+W P7'S They woke up but I am waiting for the MS Ether flow upgrade to judge system additions and removals....

Sending me mad this hobby.... Scared to offer the wrong advice...Most kit you can't try before buying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back