Intimate vocals a must, textured and extended subbass desired
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Gilly87

Member of the Trade: ApeSonic
I've been poring over reviews for weeks on end, trying to find a top-tier earphone that fits my taste. I just bought the W3, and even though I love the way they sound and would keep them if I had the money, they lack the forward midrange and deep, textured bass that I want. I loved the impact on the W3s, it's just right and sounds perfect for my tastes in terms of impact level, it's so tactile, but the amount of upper bass is too much and when combined with the fact that the midrange is not forward like my Shures and MS400, they just can't satisfy me. If the midrange was forward, I would probably keep them and be done with it.

I have considered the SE530/535, and I think they would be perfect if they didn't suffer from bass roll-off and had a little more impact...but they don't. I like what I hear about the GR07 and I imagine I could EQ it to my preferences, but I've avoided buying it once now because I'm really afraid it will sound boring coming from Phiaton MS400, Shure SE215, and Klipsch X10, all of which are colored and definitely not as neutral as the GR07.

Should I grow up and just get the GR07? Is the real audiophile in me going to be let down and feel shallow if I go the MTPG route, and will they give me the vocals I'm looking for? I know the SE535 won't be bassy enough for my liking. I want to believe I would love the SM2 or SM3, but my experience with the Klipsch X10 and W3 has me hesitant to go the BA route again. I've received a very strong recommendation for the FX700, but I'm afraid the midrange won't be forward enough for my liking. In reality, I want the MS400 in IEM form, but with punchier bass that goes all the way down, and more prominent/extended treble. This is probably absurd but I want to come as close as possible.

Can anyone who has heard any combination of these give some input?

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 27
I am really enjoying the MDR7550, they have quite nice bass with decent sub-bass and a very mild mid-bass presence (I don't like a big mid-bass hump). The mids are more forward than the GR07 which brings vocals nice and forward. The treble is slightly less bright than the GR07 (this is the area the GR07 absolutely nails epecially cymbals) but the 7550 is still very nice in this area.

Comfort wise I think the 7550 is actually a bit better but over all ergonomic wise I think the GR07 gets he nod since they hide in the ear. Gr07 suffers less wind noise. 7550 has pretty much zero cable noise and microphonics whereas the GR07 while being low in these areas is ever so slightly more prone.

If isolation is extremely important I neither of these are great but the nod would go to the GR07.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 27
Is there any substance at all to my fear that the GR07 will bore me? Every headphone I have owned has been fairly colored, and the W3 felt a bit "empty" to me at times because it was the least so; the phones I've spent the most time with are the SE215 (as I believe you already know), Phiaton MS400, and Klipsch X10. I'm also worried that the bass impact won't amount to what I want.

How does the GR07 feel coming from the SE215?

Also how would you compare the basic characteristics of the GR07 and SM3? Which has more bass impact, and which is more lush and emotional for vocals? Which has a "fuller," more ear-filling sound? What about subbass extension/texture?

You very well may be able to solve this dilemma for me here and now :D If you had heard MTPGs I would kiss you 
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 27
I'm considering the Golds, and possibly the tributes, but I had a bad experience overall with the turbines so I'm hesitant.

I really wish Shure made a higher end dynamic...maybe a multi driver micro dynamic...that would be delicious. I love the Shure sound but the SE215s just don't cut it any more; the rolled off treble is a constant letdown, the bass is beginning to feel a tad muddy, and its just not as exciting as it used to be. I want more texture, better separation, bigger soundstage...I love the fullness of the sound and it has just the right amount of punch and rumblebin the bass, it just lacks definition. I really hope they release a higher end one that uses an upgraded version of that driver, the balance between mids and bass would be ideal if the upper bass was cut a touch.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 27
Gilly the GR07 sounds like a breath of fresh air coming from the SE215. The GR07 solved all of the deficiencies you just mentioned for me. I have the MDR7550 right now but they are only a side grade of the GR07 especially when you mention wanting more treble and no muddiness in the bass both areas which are superb in the GR07.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 27
Have you tried the 535s or are you going off of what you have heard and know of the Shure sound sig? I was totally in the same mindset that Shure is no where bassy enough based on past experiences, but when I got the 535s man was I surprised. Also, the HiFiMan RE252-272s may be good. THey have some awesome vocals. Bass is there., its just overshadowed by mids.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 27
oh and +1 for the Miles Davis tributes. They are exceptional in the bass department. Not as detailed as the 535s or the Westone 4s, though.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 27
I have read a few reviews on the UM2 and heard a few things that made me take them off the list; the SM2 is my contender for that, erm, subtype of IEM.

Quote:
Westone UM2

Better midrange and vocals than SE535 IMHO and still has a big bassy sound like W3.  Just more midrange oriented.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 27
Thing is, I don't really want a sound that's too much different from the 215s, and when you say "breath of fresh air" it makes me think there is a more dramatic change than I would care for...I've tried a few brighter headphones like the W3 and they're not much to my liking; the overall sound of the SE215 definitely is, and I'm looking for something that won't be a huge departure from it; from what I hear, the GR07s will be too neutral, possibly even too bright for me. I do have a number of bones to pick with the SE215, but...they are very small bones :p I'm looking for tweaks, rather than an overhaul.
Quote:
Gilly the GR07 sounds like a breath of fresh air coming from the SE215. The GR07 solved all of the deficiencies you just mentioned for me. I have the MDR7550 right now but they are only a side grade of the GR07 especially when you mention wanting more treble and no muddiness in the bass both areas which are superb in the GR07.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 27
Well from what I've read they are definitely less bassy than the SE215, and are rolled off on both ends, which fails to fix one of my biggest beefs with the 215s and creates a new problem. I'm sure I would enjoy them but I doubt I would really want to rock out with them. If everything else fails, my backup plan is the 535s + Z02.

Quote:
Have you tried the 535s or are you going off of what you have heard and know of the Shure sound sig? I was totally in the same mindset that Shure is no where bassy enough based on past experiences, but when I got the 535s man was I surprised. Also, the HiFiMan RE252-272s may be good. THey have some awesome vocals. Bass is there., its just overshadowed by mids.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Thing is, I don't really want a sound that's too much different from the 215s, and when you say "breath of fresh air" it makes me think there is a more dramatic change than I would care for...I've tried a few brighter headphones like the W3 and they're not much to my liking; the overall sound of the SE215 definitely is, and I'm looking for something that won't be a huge departure from it; from what I hear, the GR07s will be too neutral, possibly even too bright for me. I do have a number of bones to pick with the SE215, but...they are very small bones :p I'm looking for tweaks, rather than an overhaul.

Then I do suggest the MDR7550, they are a side grade to the GR07 but a definite upgrade to the SE215 having a similar but less muddy bass, a warm rich detailed midrange similar to but improved over the Se215 and treble that is brighter but not so much as to be to much. The only thing the SE215 is better at is isolation but that issue might be resolvable with comply tips (something I have not bothered to try as I like the hybrids personally). In any case I do think the SE215 will always have better isolation.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
I've been poring over reviews for weeks on end, trying to find a top-tier earphone that fits my taste. I just bought the W3, and even though I love the way they sound and would keep them if I had the money, they lack the forward midrange and deep, textured bass that I want. I loved the impact on the W3s, it's just right and sounds perfect for my tastes in terms of impact level, it's so tactile, but the amount of upper bass is too much and when combined with the fact that the midrange is not forward like my Shures and MS400, they just can't satisfy me. If the midrange was forward, I would probably keep them and be done with it.

I have considered the SE530/535, and I think they would be perfect if they didn't suffer from bass roll-off and had a little more impact...but they don't. I like what I hear about the GR07 and I imagine I could EQ it to my preferences, but I've avoided buying it once now because I'm really afraid it will sound boring coming from Phiaton MS400, Shure SE215, and Klipsch X10, all of which are colored and definitely not as neutral as the GR07.

Should I grow up and just get the GR07? Is the real audiophile in me going to be let down and feel shallow if I go the MTPG route, and will they give me the vocals I'm looking for? I know the SE535 won't be bassy enough for my liking. I want to believe I would love the SM2 or SM3, but my experience with the Klipsch X10 and W3 has me hesitant to go the BA route again. I've received a very strong recommendation for the FX700, but I'm afraid the midrange won't be forward enough for my liking. In reality, I want the MS400 in IEM form, but with punchier bass that goes all the way down, and more prominent/extended treble. This is probably absurd but I want to come as close as possible.

Can anyone who has heard any combination of these give some input?

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

Miles Davis Tribute, forward mids and textured bass, perfect for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back