Interesting read about headphones in general
May 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

germanturkey

500+ Head-Fier
So earlier today, I was out with my friend, and I bought this natural energy drink thing from Wegmans.  6 hours later, here I am.  I was browsing around the internets, and I found this interesting read about headphones, sources, amps, and everything in between.  Since I'm pretty new to this whole audiophile thing, reading the series of articles really filled in some holes in my knowledge.  He even references head-fi a couple of times!

So here's the link for the first of 5 articles he's written thus far.
http://zeroblade.dasaku.net/2010/04/headphones-behind-the-moe/

Also, the site is anime-centric, so he has a lot of related pictures.  I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

May 17, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 18

Moè enough?

That aside, it was a helpful guide and it's nice to see that on other parts of the internet people are being exposed to smaller names like Koss and Stax.

May 17, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 18
You know, anime girls aside, it actually seems like a remarkably good guide for beginers. Lots of information, mentions diminishing returns, etc. Not bad at all.

May 17, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for sharing!
Lots of useful information, especially for those new-to-the-game.

May 18, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 18
It's a pretty good getting started guide to headphones and would be as close to perfect (for beginners, as it's quite generalised) if it weren't for a couple of things:

First, having a go at Apple about what formats iPods support, a guide is not the place for it.
Second, his information on digital connections is somewhat out of date, now that quite a few devices support higher than 16/48 over USB. As well, optical and coax are not the same, so, for various electrical reasons, could "sound different".
Third, saying "tube amps are warm".  Solid state and tube amps can be made to sound any way the designer intends.  Roughly speaking though, cheap tube amps by their simplistic design tend to have a rolled-off treble.

Overall, it's an excellent effort to write a beginners' guide to Head-fi.

May 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Well, I never thought it'd make its way back to Head-Fi! I initially just wrote the articles on a whim after a conversation with someone who asked for help in getting a new pair of cans turned to a half-hour long lecture on audio LOL. I've also made a few edits to the articles that Currawong was referring to to clarify things.

With that said, I'm going to be wrapping it up with the 6th article about miscellaneous things like cables, power, etc. Is there anything I should talk about without going too far into audiophilia?

May 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 18
This is a great beginners guide, but what was up with the anime?

May 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 18
^^ everyone loves headphone musume..  (TL note: musume means girl in japanese)

anywho, well written Zero.

May 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 18
i love morning musume

redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back