Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output - Contribute to a LIST of amps!
Nov 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #31 of 75
I had Dear MP-5, it is good amp for the price. But fall short compare to other amp like Mcintosh MA6900, or any Woo amp I tried and owned. As for MA6900, it is not the best for headphone, they sound flat compare to a tube amp, did not have the optimized 3D like sound compare to a good tube headphone amp, but defiantly a large step-up compare to Dear MP-5. The EQ on the MA6900 is very useful to adjust any headphone. When it compare to tubed-up WA22 I had, It has less 3D image of WA22, other quality like impact, speed, body and holographic image etc, not too far behind. MA6900 drive LCD-2 just fine, but less engaging than WA22. As used with speakers, MA6900 rocks, especially after I swapped stock fuse to synergy research fuse, which lift the sound a bit and more transparent, without loss other good quality of the amp. Sum up MA6900's speaker output blows away it's headphone output thought.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 75
The Parasound P/HP-850 preamp has an excellent headphone amp built-in, and the output of the Sumo Athena preamp is strong enough to drive many headphones directly without an amp.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 75
I've been using an older (Canadian) Woo WA-3 with Holland Amperex 6DJ8's and a Holland Amperex  6AS7 to great effect in a one-input system, driving a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W1000x and the amp section of an older Linn Majic driving a pair of Swedish Rauna "Tyr" speakers.  Great sound and quite dimensional through both phones and speakers.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #34 of 75
This one should be on the lookout, the Rogue audio Sphinx.

images

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #36 of 75
Quote:
Elaborate, please... What headphones - how does it sound etc. Comparisons. You know ,)

Rogues audio products have a wide dynamic range, if that's what you want. This one has a discreet headphone amp but probably in less caliber than a dedicated headamp for the same price of $1,300, but Rogue is intended principally as an 100 watt integrated amp  and can drive most speakers with low to moderate efficiency. Not a bad deal if that's what you need.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #37 of 75
I am all in on the Cary SLI 80 Signature.   I am very happy with it, especially after tube rolling.

The one I have is pretty old, so I am considering taking it in to a shop to be looked at, possibly recapped too.

The headphone out on it is nothing short of awe inducing and it is a beast with speakers, especially in triode mode.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #38 of 75
If you can find one, as they are possibly no longer made, the Luxman SQ-N100. It's a small, neat tube amp that is good with orthos. I demoed one for an hour some time back and was very tempted to buy it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #39 of 75
^^ They replaced this with the SQ-N10, which adds an iPod dock.   I believe Todd the Vinyl Junkie stocks them.

May 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #40 of 75
The Symphonic line Kraftwerk MK 2 Special Selection is the very best integrated/headphones amplifier to date !!! I have adopted it for my HP2is, better than two box dedicated amplifier i have built for them.

The Kraftwerk has the output headphones on the back and has two separated power supplay, one for each stage, so you have a two box headphone amplifier.

Best!
Nik

May 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #41 of 75
Hello!

In your opinion, which of the following integrated amplifiers has the best headphone output?

Denon PMA720
Marantz PM6004
Nad C326BEE
Rotel RA-10

My headphones are in sign... thank you! :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #44 of 75
Nad 3020 series. I have the 'i' model and it is stellar with the HD800's. Warm and organic yet detailed without any hardness. Loads of voltage swing and always sounds effortless. Always needs a good warm up period though. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #45 of 75
In my experience the best integrated headset are those (few) with rear headphone output ...

Greetings
Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back