Nov 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 343
  Pics please.
popcorn.gif

Just bad phone pics, but here you go:

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 343
That's hot!
Thanks!

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 343
Looks like you have some lovely equipment in the background. I spy a Kef LS50. What are you driving those with?

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 343
  Looks like you have some lovely equipment in the background. I spy a Kef LS50. What are you driving those with?

Those are currently wired to a Bryston 4BSST2. Upstream is a HeadAmp GS-X as pre and basically the equipment mentioned in my IHA-1 review, only in balanced mode (the unbalanced chain feeds into the IHA-1).

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #20 of 343
Nice system composition. How does the GS-X fare as a pre?

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 343
  Nice system composition. How does the GS-X fare as a pre?

I've been pretty happy with it, though admittedly have not done any real A/B comparisons with the LS50 or the Bryston to this point. In general I prefer simple and there's enough line voltage, short enough runs, and enough gain on the amp that I would probably just run a passive attenuator if I didn't also want a headamp in the chain (really like Goldpoint's stepped balanced attenuators/switches). But, since the loudspeaker system is second priority to the cans, it's certainly met my needs.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 343
So, I swapped in my NOS brown base Brimar U52 rectifier tube (also sometimes labeled as GEC, Osram, Marconi, etc.) in place of the stock rectifier that comes with the Dragon IHA-1.  

In combination with the NOS Sylvania 6BX7's I am getting absolutely magical sound.   Never say never, but I don't see myself doing any further tube rolling with this amp.

Now I am free to focus solely on musical enjoyment.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #26 of 343
I have an extra Sophia if anyone with a U52 would like to trade.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #27 of 343
Noticed that most of you are using the Sylvania 6SX7.  I switched to the Tung Sol and found them an interesting change of pace.  They have a slightly different physical structure. Plate hole pattern and rod clips. I like their vocal presentation.  Their sound reminds me of the Tung Sol 6SN7.  Has anyone seen a Ken Rad 6BX7?

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #28 of 343
Very interested in reading reviews from the other guys. BlakeT, especially.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 343
  Very interested in reading reviews from the other guys. BlakeT, especially.

I will definitely be posting a review in the future.  My first task before doing the review was to finalize my tube selection.  Mission accomplished on that front.

The only remaining item is I am debating whether to hold off on my review until I receive my Geek Pulse Xfi (I already received the Geek LPS, and the Pulse should arrive in December-fingers crossed, I should be among the first of the units shipped).  That way, I can compare the IHA-1 against the Pulse and against my Crack+Speedball (even though all 3 are divergent technologies).  

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #30 of 343

I will definitely be posting a review in the future.  My first task before doing the review was to finalize my tube selection.  Mission accomplished on that front.

The only remaining item is I am debating whether to hold off on my review until I receive my Geek Pulse Xfi (I already received the Geek LPS, and the Pulse should arrive in December-fingers crossed, I should be among the first of the units shipped).  That way, I can compare the IHA-1 against the Pulse and against my Crack+Speedball (even though all 3 are divergent technologies).  

Hi Blake...we meet again :).  I'd be very interested in your views on the Crack (+Speedball) and how it compares to the IHA-1.  As you already know, I'm interested in the latter, but actually also keen to have a go at DIY and the Crack is top of my list at the moment.  Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back