Indetify possibly ancient headphones
Jul 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

zeron

100+ Head-Fier
Okay so i was clean ing out this ladys home and "bought" her husbands room for $500. i paid her 500 bucks for the contents of the room and i cleaned it out for her. her husband died and in the room i got 2 rifles a pistol some ancient computer hardware and these seemingly ancient cans. The side of it says KOSS k/145 but i cant find anything on the internet about them. one post on head-fi mentions them but has nothinbg about them. can someone identify these for me tell me there specs and if they are worth anything? i dont have a 1/4inch plug to test em. :/

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 48
They are just older Koss

What is there to quesiton?

What are you thinking of doing? Selling them here?

I can already tell you what a lot of people know, Koss are a budget company and they are worth $10 at the most.

Dynamic driver, probably 40mm and are to be amp from the receiver that possible came with back in the 80's

Can you even hear them? Do they sound good? Good? Or Bad? That's how you tell if they are goodededd

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 48
like i said i dont have an adaptor for 1/4 plug. so i couldnt hear them. i just wanted to know if it was junk or something. but u said its practicly junk okay. if theres not goina be anyone to ant them ill just toss em i suppose.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 48
I'd keep em and see if you can borrow an adaptor to listen to them. Koss wasn't always a strictly budget-only line, and even now they still produce a high end electrostatic headphone. I found an advertisement for them, the headphones are from around 1976, and were the top of the 125/135/145 line. They may surprise you. but then again they might not

ps. If you decide to donate them to mr trashcan, I'll take them off your hands :wink:

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 48

Quote:

I can already tell you what a lot of people know, Koss are a budget company and they are worth $10 at the most.

Erm, that wasn't true back then, well as much as it may be now. They were pretty innovative in the 70's, making one of the first closed electrostats, one of the first mechanically equalizable headphones, and one of the first stereo headphones. In the early 90's, they made the A/250's which are pretty good apparently, and the ESP950, which people still like. (I'm a Koss nerd. The HQ is an hour away from me and I know a tiny bit about their history.) I'd give them a try. An adapter only costs like $5, and they'll certainly sound better than anything else you can get for $5. They might end up being decent. At worst, one of us would gladly pay shipping for them. I'd certainly love to use the headband for some woodies, and well, get the most out of the drivers. These old Kosses respond well to modding ime.

What's with the veneer on them though? Here's the an ad for them

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 48
Definitely try them out first. Never know. At least then you can post back impressions so the next person that finds a pair can know. Then you can lose them in here to someone.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 48
lol well i might play around with them first. ill be an adaptor and judge performance. after i do ill post here.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 48
They were made on 1976
Why not buy an old receiver for them? (they can be found for cheap)...test how they sound and let us know. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 48
i will need a specific reciever? i ordered an 1/4inch adaptor for them will it work with my amp then?

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 48

Quote:
i will need a specific reciever? i ordered an 1/4inch adaptor for them will it work with my amp then?

Oh, nevermind. Once you get the adaptor plug them to your amp 
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 48
lol okay thanx :)

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 48
If they are old enough to have the paper cone drivers, they will probably sound pretty awful.  With the conditions of those pads, you also won't be able to get a decent seal, either, which means no bass.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 48

Quote:

Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Sansui, Realistic, and Harman/Kardon made excellent receivers. As far as specific models, the Marantz 2230, the Pioneer SX680 or SX650, the Sony V3 or 7025, the Sansui G3000 or 2000x, Realistic STA-2000 or STA-2200, and HK 430/730 are nice cheap ones.

Yeah, the adapter will work.

Oh, they're probably not paper cones seeing as even their first headphones are dynamics. But yeah, the pads are in pretty sorry shape.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 48
ya I know they look terrible but it fits snug around my head and feels airy and comfortable actually.. i took off the pads and put them backs on and it fluffed em up abit. its a air filled cushion pad.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 48
You could always find some sort of cotton, wool, or something of the sort to stuff in them. or make some new earpads if you decide you dont like them in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back