In search for a new digital coaxial cable
Dec 26, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

.Sup

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everybody,

I recently ordered the Onkyo ND-S1 and will be connecting it to my DacMagic so I need a new cable to connect these two devices.
The only two requirements are that it is of decent quality (75ohm ofc) and isn't too expensive.

Thank you

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 23
Blue Jeans Cable

And as much as I will get flamed, Monster will also do the job well in a low budget price range if you don't feel like waiting for shipping. Personally I use an $80 Monster cable, and even though it's probably only worth $40-$50, it's gets the job done very well and I'm happy with it.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 23
I'm currently using an analog interconnect for sending digital signal to the DAC and I think its doing a poor job.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think its doing a poor job.

Why do you think that? Quote:

the Onkyo ND-S1 and will be connecting it to my DacMagic so I need a new cable to connect these two devices.

Why not consider an optical cable instead?

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 23
Coaxial tends to be higher quality than optical, especially over longer runs.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think that?Why not consider an optical cable instead?

Volume is very low when using coaxial vs usb. I just heard that DacMagic only supports one optical cable to be connected to it and since I already have PS3 connected I can only use coaxial.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coaxial tends to be higher quality than optical, especially over longer runs.

I thought when it comes to cable length optical is better?

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Hi everybody,

I recently ordered the Onkyo ND-S1 and will be connecting it to my DacMagic so I need a new cable to connect these two devices.
The only two requirements are that it is of decent quality (75ohm ofc) and isn't too expensive.

Thank you

Get 2 gold plated RCA plugs,get some TV coax cable and make it up.
It will be as good as anything out there.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

I thought when it comes to cable length optical is better?

Nope, it's much easier for optical to lose it's signal over a long stretch as it's carrying light.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Jeans Cable

And as much as I will get flamed, Monster will also do the job well in a low budget price range if you don't feel like waiting for shipping. Personally I use an $80 Monster cable, and even though it's probably only worth $40-$50, it's gets the job done very well and I'm happy with it.

X2 on both ideas. I use Blue Jeans digital cables (coax), and in a pinch, Monster video cables (75 ohms). Never heard an audible difference. I have also used a number of custom cable builders who use the same materials as BJC.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 23
Any specific reason why you use the Monster video cables rather than the audio digital coax interconnects?

This is what I'm using. Would I see any improvement getting one of their M Series cables or something similar?

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 23
necrolic, if the cable is $35 how did you pay $80 and then say it's worth $40 lol.

for $80 you can get the m1000. that is worth $80 imo. it's a nice cable. remember many companies don't even offer a cable that inexpensive!

oh wait i see, canada. sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif
your money might go further with a canadian made cable then. i know there are some nice ones but i don't remember.

music_man

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 23
What's the difference between the digital video and digital audio coaxial cables (if there is)?

BJC will send you the same digital coaxial cable if you order a regular "audio" one or a regular "video" one (Belden 1964A in both cases). Seems to be more or less the same with other mnufacturers, where the video/audio coax cables are interchangeable/the same. Yes, I know little about this, just my observations, so I assume they are more or less the same.

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 23
QED is not bad if you want something for around 50
it has good reviews but i had the SR75 and it was ok...couldnt handle complex music

if you search around, cardas lighting 15 can be found for under 100 at times. thats what i'm using right now in my system. quite happy with it.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between the digital video and digital audio coaxial cables (if there is)?

BJC will send you the same coaxial cable if you order a regular "audio" one or a regular "video" one (Belden 1964A in both cases). Seems to be more or less the same with other mnufacturers, where the video/audio coax cables are interchangeable/the same. Yes, I know little about this, just my observations, so I assume they are more or less the same.

Video and digital audio cables should be the same as they're both 75Ω. Analog audio cables on the other hand are different since they're not 75Ω.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back