Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 107

I only have the + version, the one that came before the II+ and it is fantastic.  Paired in your set up, it should be wonderful.  And your right about the simplicity of the device.  Plug and play.  Plus theres no power cable to worry about.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 107
Not sure it will be as good as the Duet. I think you will have to spend a lot more than $500 to equal/improve on it. The cables are a pain but all of the Apogees have very musical sounding converters. They are sometimes accused of being a little too euphonic by the pro crowd. If you try the Streamer, let us know what you think.  

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 107
I too am planning to buy this DAC (it's in my Amazon cart as we speak) - will have to use it with my lowly E9 for now, but will eventually upgrade to the Schiit Lyr.

Then the E7/E9 combo goes to a bedroom setup.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 107
There's cheapgamestuff on ebay, offer them 310$ and they will accept it 
wink_face.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 107
Pulled the trigger on the HRT Music Streamer II+.  It gets rave reviews.

Sorta sucks that it'll be outputting to my E9...but that'll get an upgrade in due time.

Yes....due time...*rubs hands together maniacally*

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 107
I am very happy with the MSII  (the base model), but I havent heard the other Streamer models. Surprised by the number of people here who still turn their noses up at USB DACs - they really need to read some of Gordon Rankin's posts over at Computer Audiophile before coming out with pronouncements re. USB vs coax vs Firewire etc. Implementation is everything, and the lollygaggers who get caught up in reciting outdated 'wisdom' will inevitably get left behind in the coming decade.  

Not sure that the dual-RCA-into-mini-plug arrangement that you need for most portable amps will make everyone happy, but I like what it has done for my music. If I had to describe the sound signature in a single word, it would be 'smooth' : those looking for extreme clarity/resolution etc would be happier with another DAC. Comparing the Streamer to the Benchmark/QB-9 etc is farcical, but its surprising how many people want to engage in this type of madness. Those who want a Ferrari need to be prepared to pay for one :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 107
I'll be taking delivery of my Streamer II+ later this week. I'd be glad to hook it up to my Purity Audio Caliente and compare it to my current DAC, the Audinst HUD-MX1, and post my impressions here.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 107

I'll be taking delivery of my Streamer II+ later this week. I'd be glad to hook it up to my Purity Audio Caliente and compare it to my current DAC, the Audinst HUD-MX1, and post my impressions here.

I get mine Wednesday! Can't wait. After this paycheck, I'll put down a preorder for a Schiit Lyr...then April is an 'extra paycheck month', so I'll probably spring for some LCD-2!

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 107

Quote:

Splendid timing - the Caliente is on my shortlist :)

I'd like to add to the kudos Oriel has received for his prompt and helpful replies in relation to the amp. You dont have to read too many threads to find someone bitching about certain amp makers and their patchy lines of communication (no names, Ray  :) ). Personally, I can sympathise with those guys, and I wonder how it doesn't get old after the 500th email from a prospective customer, but I guess that is one of the things that separates a professional operation from the rest. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 107
Got my Streamer II+ today and I have to say it's quite the improvement over my Audinst MX1, which is obvious (although the MX1 is a great and affordable product in its own right). Better soundstaging and detail retrieval are the most obvious improvements. I don't really believe in burning in circuits, but I'll post again after I've let the Streamer II+ run in for a while. So far, though, I'm definitely satisfied - no, impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back