Impressions of Ultrasone Proline 2500 by a Neutral Observer
Mar 5, 2007 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pageman99

500+ Head-Fier
I posted these impressions of my Ultrasone Proline 2500's 7-8 weeks ago. I'm hoping this will start a more serious discussion of the equipment. Hopefully, folks can keep personal comments to a minimum, please.
blink.gif

After all most folks here are trying to gather information in a friendly manner, with emphasis on information.

The following is my original post with a few small changes for clarity plus an addendum I added about a month later:

Well, mostly because of this thread (the big Ultrasone thread) I bought a pair of Proline 2500's hoping they would complement my Senn 650's.

************Updated impressions-see near bottom of this post******************

Interesting phones.

I've got the 200 hours break in so I think my impressions will be valid.

Basically these phones are very, very dependent on recording quality and production values. Maybe even the mood you're in, not to mention the style of music you're listening to. :xf_cool:

I've used these with my Mapletree Ear+HD Purist with good results. Also with the headphone output of an old (but recapped) Kenwood 7300 amp (one of the best of the late 70's classic era), again w/good results. With the headphone outs of a Musiland MD10 DAC, results weren't so good (though the headphone outs here are definitely designed for low impedance phones). With the headphone outs of a Behringer SRC2496 (what I would call an upper mid-fi quality headamp) the results were ok.

All were run through the SRC2496 upsampled to 24 bit, 96khz, then through a Musiland MD10 DAC. Also run through DACs of a DEQ2496 and the SRC2496 (both Behringer's FYI) with similar (though perhaps a bit different sounding) results. Perhaps a high end DAC would make a difference, I dunno, I'll leave that judgement to others.

[added 3/5/07, I've since taken all equipment other than source, dac and amp out of the chain as the 2500's like the cleanest signal possible for the best results, at least in my experience]

Basically, I've found these phones... different!

And contradictory.

The highs are very resolving (I've been able to make out lyrics never heard before). But that doesn't mean the highs are sweet; yet I wouldn't call them grainy.

The mids are pleasing, yet don't have that shimmery sweetness of the Sennheiser 650's.

Plus on some guitar solos, for example, Eric Johnson doing 'Desert Rose' on the Clapton Crossroads Guitar DVD, which in my mind is one of the finest guitar solos of all time, the 2500's just can't compare to the 650 in sound quality. The 2500's just sound weaker and not as sweetly strong as the 650's do. Yet on the same DVD (highly recommended BTW, EXCELLENT sound quality and production values) Johnny Lang and Robert Cray sound just fine indeed.

On the other hand, on Vladimir Horowitz's 'A Reminiscence' album which is a compilation of some of his best performances, the 2500 blows the 650's away. The 2500's make Horowitz's piano just reverberate, enough so, that that recording brings goosebumps. Hopefully, you have all experienced this and know exactly what I mean. For powerful sounding piano work (even on quiet passages), the 2500's excel; the 650 is simply too polite, IMHO.

Yet on other piano recordings this effect isn't quite there. Go figure.

Lets try a metaphor, the 650's are a Steinway in a heavily draped room, the 2500's a barrelhouse piano with everyone 3 sheets to the wind and singing along. Yet, the piano would still sound perfect if the little Irish tenor sang a sentimental 'Oh, Danny Boy'. :xf_cool:

Low's. Not muddy, yet not refined. On the right recording, very powerful and moving, especially at low volumes. The 2500's go very low indeed. On other recordings, simply a little bit wooly, almost like SR60's, but not that bad, of course.

In presentation, cymbals and high hats of the 2500 are upfront yet not obtrusive, and the same with the bass. The 650's are, again IMO, smoother overall and more balanced overall, yet at the expense of being too layed back for my tastes, but, again, not on every recording.

Vocals are good on both. Van Morrison is terrific on the 2500's, not quite as good on the 650's. OTOH, Diana Krall is better on the 650's.

To me the most accurate way to portay the 2500's is that they make most recordings sound like live recordings. The 650's are definitely more studio sounding if that makes sense. Probably because the S-Logic makes the phones more open, yet not quite reverberent, sounding.

BTW the 2500's distort at exceptionally loud levels, the 650's take almost anything without a whimper. But don't let this bother you, it's at ear damaging levels.

If I were to again use a metaphor, I would say the 2500's are like Vince Young, all the tools are there, but with a lack of seasoned judgement and control, yet with good results. The 2500's get it done in a very entertaining way. Yet I can't wait for the next generation in the Ultrasone line, much as I can't wait for the next generation of Sennheiser 650's.

The 650's are Peyton Manning, very knowledgeable, surgical precision, again with excellent results, perhaps a little too cerebral.

Neither have won the super bowl, yet I'd take them both given the opportunity.

BUT, and it's a pretty big but, I'm still looking for Tom Brady.

UPDATE:********Well after 400 hours I've found the highs have smoothed out completely, the bass is extremely tight and extended, voices are very realistic. And most amazing of all, I find myself now reaching for the 2500's 90% of the time. The Senn 650's are still very, very good, but I no longer find them to be "real" sounding. The 2500's, now that I've become more attuned to them, throw a much higher, wider and deeper soundstage. The only other phones I've found close (though I certainly don't claim to have heard them all) are the L3000's which are now nigh impossible to find, or afford for that matter.

I think a lot of my feelings are due to a certain synergy with my equipment (see sig) plus my preference for listening to real, live music, be it at a friends house, club or symphony/opera hall (no stadiums, please!). The 2500's are simply unbeatable when it comes to reproducing ambiance IMO.*****END UPDATE

To sum up, I'd say the 650 and 2500 complement each other. Every time I think wow, this is great, I can sell the 650/2500 (take your pick), I come across a recording that doesn't sound quite right, and the other phone does that recording justice. I've almost begun to mark my cd's 2500 or 650.

I would also say for you sound professionals out there that the 2500's work very well for sound work. And that's a pretty good endorsement, though it has more to do with presentation than refinement. In contrast, I wouldn't use the 650's to do a mix, but that says more about presentation than refinement. :xf_cool:

Hope this helps.

Buying/trying a new output tube is cheaper and easier than buying/trying a new amplifier!

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 15
I just posted this in another 2500 thread being taken over by arguments. I think I will post it here and hope that this thread stays on topic. Pageman99 that was an awesome write up and I am glad you started your own thread.

I really am still in love with my 2500's. They are definately the best sounding headphones I have ever heard. I am really in love with the S-logic. I was really worried about it being gimmicky but it really adds depth to my music. I have a pet hedgehog in a cage about 10 feet from where I listen to my music. Sometimes it sounds like horns and guitar are coming from his little nest box,"man can Prickles jam" . It is so crazy to have headphones on and the sound fills the room. It is definately something that most people take time to come to grips with. My brother in law came by the house yesterday. He owns a pair of Senn. HD600's. He plugged in my cans and started playing some Mapleshade tracks, and was blown away. He loved the fact he could tell exactly where each band member was coming from. It really amazed him. He said it felt like he was standing in the middle of the band with them surrounding him. He was absolutely floored.

I got my 2500's all ready burned in. The only thing I did was play 20 hours of pink noise through them. I never went through the harsh high period that alot of people seem to hear when they first plug these cans in. I got them and they were all ready as smooth as melted butter.

My SOHA with the buffer really seems to push these cans great. I have discovered that they sound extremely great when coming thru a RCA 5963 Tube. I have tried these 12AU7 tubes so far with the Ultrasones. An old CBS that sounds really really clean but does not have that spacial feeling. Sylvania 12AU7A preety good sounding but a little boomy and not as clean. RCA Cleartop great bass, very good for Reggae, dancehall and hip hop just does not sound as clean as the 5963. RCA 5814 almost as good as the 5963 great soundstage with lots of space between instruments just did not scale as well in the high range as the 5963. So far I really love the sound coming from the RCA 5963's. Great bass tight highs and really smooth sounding mids. I have yet to try any of the really big name tubes like the bugle boys and such. If they really sound better than the 5963 I will have to hunt some down.

So far I am super happy with my setup. With Ultrasone coming out with 5 new cans this year I am sure the upgrade sickness will come back again, but not for lack of anything with the 2500's my virus just demands that I keep buying audio equipment, I can't help myself.

Respect to ALL

MoBayRasta

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 15
I like reading both your reviews!! Pageman, it's funny reading how the proces went. When I read the first part before the edit I was like huh?? That doesn't sound like the 2500's. Don't get that sentence wrong I know that it is very personal and not everybody likes them. but I am happy for you that you time made it more than right for you.
Nice you compares it to the hd650. I compared mine (750's , though quite similar to the 2500's) to the hd600 (not quite the hd650 I know) and the soundsignature these cans have and differ in is amazing. I really thought the hd600 would blew the 750's away since the hd600 was the kind of sound I was after when finally decided I wanted to buy a new pair. For me it was the other way around. I found the 750's sounding more brighter and detailed wich I seem to prefer. My dad said ( we were listening to "division bell" from Pink floyd) that the 750's made him experience the concert again. (He had been there once, I am so jealous!!)
As for the new models, I believe the looks is the most part that's gonna change so they will keep their hands of the soundsig I hope. I really like them and just have a little itch in trying out the ed9's! Only my wallet will not like me then haha

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Still burning mine in and I listen to the process b/c I like to notice the small details.

In short, yes this is a very fine headphone in every respect. Nothing I've thrown at it has really come back as meh. The cds that I knew were badly recorded sounded that way. The benchmark songs have come through cleanly if not perfectly there is a sense of "hey we are just getting warmed up here be patient."

In other words, you will love this headphone if you give it time to work it's magic on you. Be patient. This is true for most all headphones but especially this one.

Also, STAY ON TARGET please people I'm begging you to keep it focused on the subject matter at hand.

Much love and rhythm.

Space

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for posting your impressions. pageman. The comparison with the HD650s is very helpful. I've been thinking about breaking down (curse you, headfi!) and ordering a pair of 2500s . . . but finding useful listening impressions in the other threads has been a tedious task. I think I'll probably cave and give NS&L a call this afternoon.
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 15
I would not hesitate to recommend people in this price range to try them. I have said before the only cans I prefer to these are Headphiled K340s which I have a nos pair of 340s coming in sometime soon. They just do so many things well. I can't wait for them to burn in and the treble to smooth out but I can tell they have "it" for me.

It's weird. You can literally hear the edges smooth off in the mids and highs and the bass tighten up. Coltraine sounds better today than just yesterday.

Not at all a fanboy btw. If I don't like something it is on the FS list right quick.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 15
If I am not mistaken Peyton Manning has won the SuperBowl (American football) this year.

Great set of reviews....I am really enjoying my 2500s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 650's are Peyton Manning, very knowledgeable, surgical precision, again with excellent results, perhaps a little too cerebral.

Neither have won the super bowl

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 15
I have a strong feeling that everything of interest that could be said about the 2500s has been said.

I think that the fact that one has supposedly cought a football in mid air, and is still holding on to it does not add a lot to that.

SQ wise.
cool.gif

Pics would be nice though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 15
A more neutral observer stopped by today...

A friend of mine who owns a video store (several thousand video tapes and dvd's) and has a collection of 45's and LP's to die for, not to mention about 300 tube radios dating back to the 1920's came over for a few brews and to have a listen to my system as it stands. (see my sig for details)

He has little experience of headphones other than what he has heard at my home previously. Yet his bona fides when it comes to speaker based systems goes back to Henry Kloss himself. 'nuff said.

To keep it simple he brought over a Lou Rawls LP, from the '70's and the self titled Winwood LP.

Headphone wise, I just let him listen to Senn 650's and the Ultrasone Proline 2500's. As a control his LP's were played through my GF's high mid-fi speaker system which basically is a 'rock on' Onkyo receiver/CD player, Sanyo (don't laugh) manual turntable, killer Cerwin-Vega speaker system. Not audiophile or even state of the art, but, believe me, a rock and roll will never die, party system that most college kids would die for.

To start I played him the Cream 2005 reunion DVD through my headphone system. His opinion: not even close Ultrasone 2500's. Comments were, great detail, to die for bass, the 650's are 'too colored', where's the excitement?

Next up he chose "The Best of Who" CD. His comments on the 2500's: Ouch, metallic, hurt my ears. Senn 650's: Oh yeah, great detail, smooth, very involving.

Hmm... sounds familiar to me, and to those following these threads as well, I'm sure.

Next, vinyl.

Nowadays, I don't listen to much vinyl, though I've more than a couple hundred vintage albums. Don't ask, but basically because the turntable is in my GF's system and I can only listen when she ain't around or only through the Onkyo receivers HP out, which while not bad, ain't good IMO.

Nonetheless, the results:

My buddy: whoaa! the Senn's are well balanced and smooth. The 2500's, too much bass and treble. He went to work on the bass, treble and loudness controls and said the phones, bottom line, are about even but at the expense of a bit of loss of detail with the added circuitry.

Through the speakers, his comments: God, I love vinyl. God, let's party and crank up those C-V's. Well, it ain't opera.
wink.gif

I asked which he preferred bottom line. He said he never thought he'd see the day, but either of the headphones had WAY more detail and excitement than any speaker system he's heard other than concert setups.

Back to my headphone setup.

I put on Chris Botti's DVD 'To Love Again'. Specifically 'Flamenco Sketches', originally recorded by Miles Davis, but this updated version featuring Botti on trumpet and Sanborn on sax.

Conclusion from my buddy. Simply 'WOW'. I asked for more than that.
wink.gif

He said: Look these are both great headphones. On bad recordings the 650's are better on all but the best CD's. The Ultrasones shine on well recorded CD's and simply put the 650's to shame whenever DVD's or recordings of similar quality are played. He said the 2500's are almost too resolving, they put not only the recordings to the test, but also every part of the system.

Well which do you prefer? Answer, BOTH, BOTH, BOTH. Now can I have another beer?

I trust my buddy. He started collecting '45s at the age of 8 using funds from a 120 customer paper route. He retired at the age of 31 because of brilliant investments in energy stocks in the '70's. He then opened a video/stereo store to pass the time.

Again, simply put, he has no prejudices. He just likes the music.

Read his reactions. Use your own judgement.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 15
BTW, my girlfriend who is blind, has better ears than ALL of you.

When I pick her up from her work, she walks out her office building door, snaps her fingers until she hears the echos that identify my car, then walks straight to the back door and grabs the door handle, opens the door and shoos her guide dog into the back seat. Zero sight. She has 2 glass eyes.

Any of the fanatics here would die to be able to do what she does.

What's my point you ask?

I want her to listen to my headphone collection. She simply won't. They make her majorly claustrophobic, almost to the point of panic. Think of putting a perfectly black sack on your head, tightly tie it around your neck. Then walk out to do your days work. That's how she feels when she loses her sense of hearing.

But I'm working on her.

I expect in the next month or so she will be able to tell me what my collection of headphones really sounds like.

No prejudices. Just the opinion of the greatest human hearing machine a couple billion years of evolution could give us.

I can't wait.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Interesting impressions. Thanks for posting!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 15
very interesting. I agree that the 2500s can be too much for certain recordings. just gives people a reason to buy more cans!

seriously though, a blind person would own all of us in detecting exactly What(rankenberry) is going on sonically. I'm excited by the prospect.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, my girlfriend who is blind, has better ears than ALL of you.

When I pick her up from her work, she walks out her office building door, snaps her fingers until she hears the echos that identify my car, then walks straight to the back door and grabs the door handle, opens the door and shoos her guide dog into the back seat. Zero sight. She has 2 glass eyes.

Any of the fanatics here would die to be able to do what she does.

That's a great story. Reminded me of the boy who could use sonar.

http://www.people.com/people/article...212568,00.html

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 15
ok we're wandering here back to the subject matter.

Listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station "Lonely Runs Both Ways" I am floored by what I am hearing! My goodness people I can hear the difference in the moisture in her voice from song to song! weeeird but I swear I can hear if she just had a drink of water or had been singing awhile before recording.

Wow that's high resolution sound folks.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Pageman99 - I'm curious I have a similar vintage Onkyo Integrated amp and to be honest compared to my tube amp, that is a good 20 years older but of similar (Mid-fi) credentials, it sounds pretty weak. Is is possible the Onkyo is just not well suited to the power demands of the HD650?. I'm curious because the detail of the Ultrasones sound tempting and I may add it to my list of considerations, alongside those HD650's and some of it's brethren.

BTW - I happened to catch a Chris Botti performance on HDTV a few days back and even on really subpar HDTV speakers it was stunning SQ. I'd love to here it on a high detail setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back