IMPRESSIONS: Montréal August 25th 2012 Head-Fi Meet
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 82
My only problem with doing meets like this more often is that it's not as special.
It obviously depends on the spacing but if I have to travel 2 hours there and 2 hours back on public transit with a suitcase and backpack full of equipment I'll probably end up leaving a good portion behind.
Once a year is a special occasion and I definitely don't mind. Even 2-3 times a year would be great to all get together like this.

Anyway, I found out I don't have the necessary plugs to get the video on my computer. I'll get it tomorrow at school then upload it after.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 82
Oh I totally agree with you. I never said I wanted them to be more frequent, but that they last longer. My opinion on the subject is that every 6 months is great, but once a year is good enough. There's no way we can get as many people present if we did it on a regular basis. They'll just get boring after a while. Keeping them far apart indeed makes them special occasions, and people will go to greater lengths to make them memorable.

I actually got back home at 23h last night. That means I've been out for 13 hours, for a meet that lasted 5 hours. For 8 hours, I've been in public transits with 20 pounds of equipment on my shoulders. My body hurts so much today that I can barely walk. But it was all worth it, and I will do it again in a few months. Just not every month.

Can't wait for what you can salvage out of the camera. 
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 82
Oh I totally agree with you. I never said I wanted them to be more frequent, but that they last longer. My opinion on the subject is that every 6 months is great, but once a year is good enough. There's no way we can get as many people present if we did it on a regular basis. They'll just get boring after a while. Keeping them far apart indeed makes them special occasions, and people will go to greater lengths to make them memorable.

I actually got back home at 23h last night. That means I've been out for 13 hours, for a meet that lasted 5 hours. For 8 hours, I've been in public transits with 20 pounds of equipment on my shoulders. My body hurts so much today that I can barely walk. But it was all worth it, and I will do it again in a few months. Just not every month.

Can't wait for what you can salvage out of the camera. :wink:

Looking through it there are some nice shots (at least in my opinion) not to mention the group pic (which I was almost cut out of)

And along with the 20+ lbs of stuff on my shoulders I had the 25lbs suitcase >.<
Though 8 hours is a lot more than what I had to go through >.<
I ended up getting home past 12:30 am

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 82
This was a great meet. Though I am more of an IEM person,the chance to hear some of the higher end phones was amazing. It puts it in perspective.I thought the HD 800 from the Hi-Fi Man and HE-6 from the Bryston were the the best,not better than one another but different. If I had to choose,I would go with the HD 800. DIre Straits sounded so good. I was impressed too with the E17. I thought the bass treble controls were not much to speak of but it sounded impressive with my ES5. Great group of people. Thanks to Lappy27 for making it happen with the room and his Bryston and yes,the cake was delicious.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 82
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #21 of 82
Aug 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #22 of 82
Quote:
The bitching about the looks of the HD800 is mind-boggling in that thread.
Anyway, seems interesting.
On a positive note I imported all the video files today.
On a negative note they had to be imported on a MAC using the .mov format which doesn't seem compatible with anything (including quicktime which is even made by apple).

Eh, you know audiophiles and the looks.... I couldn't care less either

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #23 of 82
Quote:
The bitching about the looks of the HD800 is mind-boggling in that thread.
Anyway, seems interesting.
On a positive note I imported all the video files today.
On a negative note they had to be imported on a MAC using the .mov format which doesn't seem compatible with anything (including quicktime which is even made by apple).

Try VLC player, or MPCHC with Klite codec.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 82
Awesome meet. Thanks so much to Lappy for making it happen and being an awesome host!

It was pretty crazy hearing the HE-6, HD800 and everything Audeze's ever made all at once. It's strange but I think I liked the LCD2 the most, and would have probably enjoyed it even more on the EF6 amp. At first I was sure that would be my next upgrade, but I think I'm going to hold off til I hear some more Audio-Technica woodies first.

The Starving Student and modded Koss were very pleasant surprises for me. The Starving Student paired exceptionally well with the ESW9, I'm going to have to make my own! Here's hoping mine will look nicer that my last DIY amp.
tongue.gif

Thanks for coming, everyone! Looking forward to next time.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 82
Quote:
Awesome meet. Thanks so much to Lappy for making it happen and being an awesome host!

It was pretty crazy hearing the HE-6, HD800 and everything Audeze's ever made all at once. It's strange but I think I liked the LCD2 the most, and would have probably enjoyed it even more on the EF6 amp. At first I was sure that would be my next upgrade, but I think I'm going to hold off til I hear some more Audio-Technica woodies first.

The Starving Student and modded Koss were very pleasant surprises for me. The Starving Student paired exceptionally well with the ESW9, I'm going to have to make my own! Here's hoping mine will look nicer that my last DIY amp.
tongue.gif

Thanks for coming, everyone! Looking forward to next time.

Not sure of an LCD2 pairing with the EF6 
confused_face.gif

The Bryston (or from current impressions, the mjolnir) seem the way to go

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 82
Well I came away so impressed, I decided I will upgrade from my HE500 to HE6. If the bryston can drive the he6 decently, that should mean the mjolnir will give it some extra little juice. Crossing my fingers it will be a nice pairing.

Also Gabriel, let me know about the interview, my friend from the meet tried calling you today but apparently there was some weird misunderstanding lol; his english isn't the best.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 82
Well I came away so impressed, I decided I will upgrade from my HE500 to HE6. If the bryston can drive the he6 decently, that should mean the mjolnir will give it some extra little juice. Crossing my fingers it will be a nice pairing.

Also Gabriel, let me know about the interview, my friend from the meet tried calling you today but apparently there was some weird misunderstanding lol; his english isn't the best.

Hmm?
I didn't talk to anyone today..
I did wonder why I was getting calls during class ;P
I didn't pick up any of them. I tried calling one of them back with no answer and the other was a blocked number so I couldn't call back.
I'll be free to pick up in the afternoon tomorrow.

Bad news everyone.
I derped.

I went to the mac lab today and exported the footage to my microsd card.
Everything seems to have gone well.
Except now I can't seem to open or convert any of the footage to anything usable on my computer (or youtube).

I'll go take out the camera tomorrow and hopefully the footage will still be there and they'll give me some other cable I can use for transferring it over that will actually work. Kinda sucks >.>

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 82
What kind of a weird camera causes this much trouble while uploading one video??

Some annoying Canon camcorder that will only export the video on the mini-dv (which is what it was recording onto) through a firewire which pretty much only macs have nowadays so I had to import the clip using the school mac-lab which saved it as some ******** up .mov which doesn't even function like a .mov (quicktime won't work with it and neither will any converters)
I'll go back tomorow and get the technician to help me out assuming that the video hasn't been written over already (highly unlikely since it would only have been 24 hours since I brought it back)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back