iHP or iPOD
Oct 21, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by raynman
well said SS...LMAO
very_evil_smiley.gif

Couldn't have explained it any better.

Edited Note: iTunes has a reported 400,000 songs currently.

Napster has reported it will open with 500,000 songs.

When I stated I'd been using iTunes for just over a day...you responded with

Quote:

LOL...I find this statement rather funny. Sure you can operate it, but you've only used it for a day and in just a couple of mintues. Getting to know a piece of software takes much more than that my friend.

Because SS's and your opinions run in parallel I guess he's exempt from this, and he must have a good grasp of iTunes feature set. I obviously didn't understand iTunes because I wasn't on here dumping on it and agreeing with what you were saying?

Oct 21, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #62 of 91
This Itunes discussion is somewhat interesting, but I am mostly interested in the best player for the money, not the best sync software. In my case, I update my music collection infrequently (several times a year), so syncing is not an issue.

I mostly care about sound quality, battery life, ease of player use, and features (sleep timer, usb external drive, recorder, etc.). An LCD remote is a big plus in terms of ease of use and "safety". The player stays protected with no unnecessary handling. I get more than twelve hours of play time on my CW200 flash player. I don't want any less on a hard drive player.

This wish list leads me to only one player, the IHP-120 (on order now).

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Quote:

Not really the "same thing."

Actually Mac, it is. Because I said, I don't want all songs and playlists loaded, so that leaves that option out. The second option is closer, but how exactly are they selected playlists, unless YOU select them ? Or is there a mystical link between iTunes and its users ? And the third option, is EXACTLY the same.

The topic of discussion was option #2, auto-syncing selected playlists. As others have already pointed out, they aren't the same thing at all.

Quote:

But as I said up above, one of those methods are a big no no for alot of people, I being one of them. The second method is pretty much the same as choosing a playlist to drag and drop from Explorer, and the third, assuming we're still following the 3 methods you mentioned, is exactly like dragging and dropping, except it's just clicking a button instead. Same time consumption.

But again, you haven't used iTunes, so you really don't seem to understand that the above isn't accurate. The second method (syncing selected playlists) is quite different than dragging and dropping a playlist via Explorer because iTunes' playlists aren't just lists of songs -- they're intelligent, auto-updating "search results," basically. And the third option ("manually" managing songs) is much more powerful. Sure, you can just click and drag from a list of songs. But you can also use scripts and automated actions to select/deselect particular groups of songs, and you can use Smart Playlists to select them -- so you get the advantages of Smart Playlists combined with manual management. Also, iTunes' browse mode lets you select artists/albums/genres/etc., even when manually managing. It's much more convenient and powerful than the "drag and drop" management you get via Explorer.

Quote:

My fault there. I could use the excuse that it must've been tiny print cuz i didn't see that. But then, I wouldn't think it necessary to install QT in order for iTunes to work, which I'm sure it doesn't. Nice marketing by Apple.
rolleyes.gif

iTunes uses QuickTime for both AAC *and* MP3 decoding. iTunes requires QuickTime to function. It's not "marketing." Why should Apple have to recode a bunch of stuff when they can simply use what is arguably the best, and at least one of the better, media systems on the market?

Quote:

I do admit fault there though. Had I seen that, I wouldn't have even bothered to install iTUnes in the first place. I use Media player Classic (not a windows product) which has both the QT and Real player codecs.

It doesn't have the latest QT codecs.

Quote:

No. I dont' have a hate for all things Apple. But comparitively speaking, there are so many better choices/options presented to PC'rs. Even some of my friends who are MACr's agree after seeing some of my Video apps.

Such as? I find it hard to believe, having used both XP and OS X, that there are so many better options on the Windows side. What kind of "video apps" are you talking about? Perhaps your friends just don't know about the ones available for OS X?

Quote:

On top of that, they're insulted that they'd have to PAY for the QT pro, when it really should be freeware. I didn't say that...they did. Their reasoning.

Bad reasoning; better known as "whining"
very_evil_smiley.gif
(Seriously, Apple users are some of the biggest whiners I've seen. They always want stuff for free and forget that it costs money to produce products.) Why should QuickTime Pro be freeware? That doesn't make any sense. The basic QuickTime package lets you do playback, etc. QuickTime Pro is an actual editing/encoding system. In addition, it lets you produce products using commercial codecs, which requires a license. How can it be free?

Quote:

I think (note I said I ok ?) it's silly to have to sit and rate every damned song for the sake of future use. Playlists are the easiest thing in the world to create, takes a couple minutes. So what if the song you rated as a 5, becomes boring to you in a couple of weeks ? Isn't it true that it will play those tunes that you rated highly more often ? Wouldn't you tire of those songs pretty quick ? Human nature I'd think. Like a song you keep hearing on the radio.

I still think that the above is a case of not having used it enough to realize what you might use it for, but fine, you don't like it.

Quote:

Believe me. I used it long enough to know what I did and didnt' like. It doesn't take me very long to figure things like that out. (what I like and dont' like that is) I mean, is there a pre-requisite to how much time one must spend with a product in order to deduce whether or not they like it ?

You have to at least use it. Not liking one initial setup step is not grounds for judging an entire product. According to your post:

Quote:

Upon initial install of iT, it asked if it was to scan my HD for music folders, which I thought was cool...but when I opened it, there was no music to be found. Ok...no prob, I just assumed there'd be a button to scan my HD. No dice..just the standard "add file/folder" button. Looked for a folder, hit the button, and boy...was that the longest load time I've seen ever. I didn't bother to really go any further because really, I have no use for iTunes.

I'd say the above is nowhere near enough of an experience to "know" if you don't like a product or not, regardless of how quickly you form opinions.

Quote:

Funny how when someone has an opinion about a Apple product that Apple users don't like to hear, they're automatically branded a basher, and a bad example to follow.

It has to do with the fact that, as bangraman and blessingx have pointed out, you seem to always criticize Apple products without even having used them -- and I consider your experience with iTunes to be "not having used it" -- and you tend to criticize/dismiss anything that you personally don't immediately see a use for.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #65 of 91
I responded to this thread SpoonMan, particularly you because you seem to give all of us non iTunes users the feeling that iTunes is a one click process. THE TOPIC WE WERE TRYING TO FREAKING PROVE WAS THIS WAS NOT THE CASE! It certainly, would be nice to let the player sync everything, but this does not always equate to a fail proof design, nor does it satifsfy what we prefer. The syncing with selected playlists involves the user having to MANUALY rate each song they wanted. Some may actually like this while others prefer not to. Again it is a matter of choice.

Both of you seem to argue that iTunes just kicks the arse out of drag n drop. That's fine with me. It's your preference. NOT MINE. I may have never used iTunes, but I am satisfied with the way my iHP does things. That's all I really care about.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #66 of 91
I'll just say one more thing about the iTunes thing and that's it. No, I don't use it. I only used it for a very short period of time. This amount of time does not include all the time spent on many friends Macs that utilize iTunes though. I've messed around with iTunes many times, and see friends use it all the time, so technically, I'm no stranger to it. I compare it to the program(s) I use for a kick, and never regret not having it. It really really does boil down to preference.

I'm able to tell you very honestly that I have no use for it ONLY because the program I use, does everything iTunes does, (all but the syncing) and with a nicer, more compact GUI (not to mention being a tiny program unlike iTunes.) Oh, and yes...the idea that the GUI is nicer is of course my opinion. I just don't like full screen interfaces.)

About the Apple marketing strategy. Every company has to have a strategy, or they wouldn't be in business. I don't fault Jobbs for doing what he should be. It's natural. The AAC format is used on the iMusic site in order to push people to buy an iPod. Furthermore, all of these things tie in to each other: iTunes; iPod; iMusic store and AAC. This is a brilliant strategy IMO. APPL stock has risen drastically in the past few quarters because of such moves. There's no need to deny such knowledge, no one here is stupid.

Can we just kill this subject and all get along now please ? If I'm being mis-understood, then fine...I can deal with that. I'd like to have mature conversations rather than argue about trivial matters. And I really don't like my name being lumped in with someone elses matters just because our opinions may SEEM similar.

Regards,
S.S.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

The AAC format is used on the iMusic site in order to push people to buy an iPod.

The AAC format is used by iTMS because it has DRM capability, and has decent sound at low bit rates. Apple really didn't have too many options in that regard.

--Chris

Oct 21, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #68 of 91
MP3's don't utilize DRM ? There's more to it than you stated. Like I said, it's a pretty brilliant move, no shame in the game. Don't deny its existance.

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

The AAC format is used on the iMusic site in order to push people to buy an iPod.

Apple could have used a number of formats to "push people to buy an iPod." I agree with you that it benefits them to use a format that can't be read by other MP3 players at this time. But the reason they used AAC instead of some other format that fits this criteria is exactly what hempcamp said: AAC is used because of its DRM capabilities and, to a lesser extent, because of its superior sound at lower bit rates.

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #70 of 91
K. If that's the gereral feeling I can't say squat about that since I dont' use AAC and can't comment on its sound quality. (First for everything ya know
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

How low of bitrates are we talking about here ? Saving space is a good thing if the sound quality is as good as you guys are saying. I'll have to investigate. Oh no..I might have to get iTunes again to encode some files to AAC !
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #71 of 91
Sweet Spot, you need to take a day or two to research something before you go spouting your mouth off. You have done that twice. iTunes is great, and you need to spend more than a couple of experiences with it to fairly judge it. AAC is great, and sounds in my opinion a billion times better than MP3. I use 160 AAC and it sounds just as good if not better than my LAME mp3s. thats my preference, but spend some time before you judge. You look much better with that shoe out of your mouth...
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Sweet Spot, you need to take a day or two to research something before you go spouting your mouth off. You have done that twice. iTunes is great, and you need to spend more than a couple of experiences with it to fairly judge it. AAC is great, and sounds in my opinion a billion times better than MP3. I use 160 AAC and it sounds just as good if not better than my LAME mp3s. thats my preference, but spend some time before you judge. You look much better with that shoe out of your mouth...

And you need to stop trolling. The things I've said I've not taken back. there's a difference between voicing an opinion about something you believe in, and just "spouting off at the mouth", which you in fact have just done. Must have been easier for you to just blurt that out since the heat went down. Thanks for kicking it back up a notch moron.

You need to back up the things you say...wasn't that part of the issue ? "iTunes is great" Yeah, well for some it is, for some it's not. Making a blanket statement such as that one is dumber than anything I've said. At least I had the sense to try and explain why I felt the way I did. Furthermore, I'm totally unimpressed with your LAME/AAC comparisons. They're just words with no meaning. Everyone must judge what's best for themselves, and I had just finished saying that I was going to check them out.

Now go back under that bridge.

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #73 of 91
and the plot thickens...
evil_smiley.gif

everyone needs to stop raggin on SweetSpot, he has his opinion and you have yours. if you dont agree with his, voice yours, and explain why. not everyone thinks the same way, you have to learn to accept and deal with it. if you dont like the fact that he "bashed" iTunes, then post WHY you think iTunes is good, not why he is wrong, because for him and probably others he is right. so stop flaming and get back on topic.
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #74 of 91
I didn't bash iTunes.(Though many prolly feel as if it came off that way) I said I didnt like the interface, and that's my perogative. I said I had no use for it cus I dont' use the syncing, and I already have a player that does everything else for me. Y'all need to lighten up. After all, it's not like You coded the thing is it ?

Anyway. Macdef, could you do me a favour please ? I need a command line argument for an external AAC encoder. I got a .dll and put it in my Audiograbber directory with the rest of the encoding .dll's, and I actually saw something that looked like a pre-defined argument, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. It went like this:

%s %d -b128 That to me, pretty much looks like an Mp3 command line argument. Though that's what pops up when I hit the pre defined arguments and the list shows "FAAC 128/kb's". I thought it was something like

aacenc -normal -if myfile.wav (or aac instead of .wav)

I tried that, and still no dice. I'll prolly need a front end encoder. Looking.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back