iHP or iPOD
Oct 17, 2003 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

jpburton5150

100+ Head-Fier
okay heres the situation... I can basically get an iHP-100 or a 15gb iPod. I have about 6gb of music and yeah is the iHP really as good as an iPOD? I have been leaning towards an iHP for a while but with the release of iTunes theyre getting more and more attractive. I alreadt have an iFP-390T so i have voice recording and an FM radio. So now the main advantages are basically the lcd remote and the line in/outs. Im kinda leaning towards an iPod for a few minutes. HELP! someone persuade me one way or the other! Thanks a lot guys!
~jpburton5150

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 91
Yeah, they're both nice players. I'm tempted to say if you state something in your sig, you've got the answer. The iRiver has lots of advanced features. And that remote is cool. The iPod has lots of third party gadgets (see some here), 5 more gigs, and the iTunes integration. Are there any price differences in the deal? Keep in mind the iPod is likely to have a higher resale value.

Also if you drink lots of Pepsi, consider the iPod (for its AAC support).

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 91
I would go with the iPod. With the release of iTunes Windows and Firmware 2.1 today, it's working better than ever! The battery issue has never beena problem for me. I always keep it in the dock connected to a power outlet, so I always have a fully charged pod when I leave. When I travel, I just bring the charger with me, and charge it at night. The 2.1 firmware also has an increase in sound quality.

Here's a list of the new features:
# Voice notes (requires 3rd party microphone, sold separately)
# Digital photo storage (requires 3rd party photo card reader, sold separately)
# Enhanced On-The-Go playlist
# Improved playback performance
# Added Music Quiz game
# Improved backlight
# Improved battery meter
# New for Windows: support for AAC audio files, including songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 91
Does the iHP have an EQ?
confused.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 91
yes...a very good one

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 91
The only thing that I'd be attracted to is the on the fly playlist feature on the iPod. (which I'm sure can be achieved on the IHP with a firmware update) Other than that. I don't see any competition for the IHP. And still, I think you should try and gather another $50 for the IHP 120. It would be a waste and shame not to.

I can't see caring about AAC when Ogg is around. And the likely hood that the iPod will ever support Ogg is real slim, while the opposite is probably true for the IHP, which in the future may support AAC with a firmware upgrade. Not to say that the iPod couldn't, it's not a matter of hardware...Prolly a company choice though.

Battery life. Even with the newest firmware the iPod still isn't up to par with the IHP.

Price. I don't think I have to go there. Extras, (accessory wise) costs a small fortune, so if you want those add ons, you're paying through the nose.

Extra Apple iPod Power Adapter
$49.00

Belkin iPod Media Reader
$99.00

The innovative Belkin Media Reader for iPod lets you store more than tunes. It gives you a great way to back up digital images to your iPod. Supports iPod with Dock connector.

Belkin iPod Voice Recorder
$49.95

The Belkin iPod Voice Recorder allows you to record memos, lectures, interviews, or conversations into your iPod. Supports iPod with Dock connector.

Belkin Battery Pack for iPod
$59.00

There's alot more, but listing would be redundant. Just look at the iStore if you want. To me, the iPod could turn into an expensive "thing".

Aaanyway...The big thing now is iTunes for PC. I say...big freegin' whoop. And yes, for those of you who will ask... "have you even seen/tried it ?" Yes. I have. It's cool, but I don't think it's worth messing my shorts over.

Just my 12 cents.

s.s.

I edited the content. I thought I read you'd be getting the 10 gig and not 15. I still stand by what I said though. The rest holds true.

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 91
dont forget that the iPod mic and media card reader are still gonna cost a pretty penny. it is really cool that people adopted the idea of using the HD players as a photo album from Archos, though.

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 91
also another complication... i have an iFP-390T so i have a line in, fm radio, and voice recorder so these extra features arent really of all that much importance. oh yeah im swayin towards the iHP now... you guys are really persuasive and im really easy to persuade haha

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

dont forget that the iPod mic and media card reader are still gonna cost a pretty penny.

Err...Ahh...Um.... Huh. That sounds really familiar. Hey wait ! Didnt' I just say that ? O well, guess there's no accounting for relevance/agreeance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 91
Um, Jp...understandable that you don't care for the features in general (fm, voice recording etc) but surely you won't be carrying both units at the same time right ? Given your unit of choice (pod or IHP) wouldn't you want the option of having those things while carrying/using it ?

If not, then your choice lays within a few simple question/answers:

What's important to you ? What feature holds presedence ?

If it's :

Battery life - Winner = IHP

AAC format - iPod for now possible on IHP with firmware update

Ogg format - IHP and doubtfully the pod

Sound Quality - This discussion has been done, and I won't give my personal opinion, cuz I haven't heard the IHP. I have however heard one of the first gen pods, and thought the quality was damned fine. I was pretty impressed listening through Porta Pros.

Customer support: Can't say who wins there. I've heard good things from both parties.

A biggie for me, believe it or not, is the remote. A couple years ago, I was all set to get the iPod, but didn't because I couldn't understand the flimsy design of the remote. Why bother storing so many music files, and playlists, when you can't see what it is you're playing/changing with the remote ?? In my eyes, the purpose of a remote is to illiminate the middle man. I love my iMP 350's remote cuz the player stays either in my backpack, or on my body, while i hold this little thing that has all the information and functionality I need. The IHP will never leave my belt clip, and hence will never be dropped (not while I'm traveling anyway), stolen or banged up. I see people holding iPods everyday, and I'm pretty much just waiting for someone to drop one on the train tracks. (I'd be utterly amused for sure
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

More of my cents for ya. 13 of em' that time.

Oct 17, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 91
Jeez. I'm almost tempted to just give you the $50 so you can get the 20 gig. It'd be a damned shame if you didn't get that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back