iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #7,471 of 9,047
  Hello. I recently purchased an iFi iDSD to include in my audio system: PC with Jriver, Audio Research preamp and power with Avalon speakers. I am replacing with it  an old Nuprime iDSD used as Dac with the  dsd files. My purpose was  use iFi dsd in direct mode connected with my audio system preamplifier. Did I make a mistake? That is what I think now after having read some of the post of this forum. Should have I bought an ifi dac2 to my project? Or idsd will be able to fulfill my expectations.
Thanks 

Quino05:

I just picked up an iFi iDSD Black.  I am using it as a Dac between my Marantz NA 7004 Music Server (running JRiver 24 bit 96kHz) and my Moon P3 Preamp.  Still breaking it in, but sounds great.  My other Dac is the Schiit Bifrost.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #7,473 of 9,047
I currently pair my hd650 with iFi Nano IDSD + Nano iCan, looking for upgrade. 
Confuse either sell all the Nanos and get Micro iDSD BL or use Nano iDSD as DAC then get a iCAN SE?

Do you need battery/portable operation?

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #7,475 of 9,047
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #7,478 of 9,047
  I currently pair my hd650 with iFi Nano IDSD + Nano iCan, looking for upgrade. 
Confuse either sell all the Nanos and get Micro iDSD BL or use Nano iDSD as DAC then get a iCAN SE?

I think you'll get a bigger improvement with your 650's if you get the iCAN SE first. They scale very well with better amps.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #7,480 of 9,047
I'm sorry if this is a repost. I tried reading a little bit but I still don't get it.

Filters:
Bit Perfect
Minimum Phase
Standard

Which one and why?

My set up is:
high res 96/24 music, pioneer xdp100r usb transport, ifi idsd black, fostex th900mkii

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #7,481 of 9,047
I'm sorry if this is a repost. I tried reading a little bit but I still don't get it.

Filters:
Bit Perfect
Minimum Phase
Standard

Which one and why?

My set up is:
high res 96/24 music, pioneer xdp100r usb transport, ifi idsd black, fostex th900mkii

Bit perfect will sound the most like real musicians playing real instruments as it has the most accurate transient response.

Standard is the filter which gave rise to the term 'digitalitis'.

Minimum Phase might give a slightly smoother sound with poorly mastered stuff.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7,483 of 9,047
So I finally got back from my trip to Asia and was able to return my faulty idsd micro (there was too much hiss and so on, it was unbearable). Haven't been able to listen to good music for almost a month (honestly the macbook headphone out is not very good to my ears). FINALLY got it exchanged (different seller on amazon for the second piece). And this one doesn't even start up. Rapidly blinking green/blue. I plug it in and about a 1/2 hour later it completely turns off, then i unplug and plug it back in again...rinse and repeat. (As per directions on the ifi site).

P.S, if @iFi audio  is reading this, your site says "In rare cases (actually so far only theoretical, we have not been able to provoke this in practice) the battery may be depleted so much that after the expiry of the 30 minutes for “flat battery provision” the battery can still not be charged normally.", you may want to check this out because I definitely proved that in practice.

Frankly at this point I'm thinking of cutting my losses and just buying a chord Mojo...only reason I bought the idsd over the mojo was price, but this isn't worth it.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #7,485 of 9,047
So I finally got back from my trip to Asia and was able to return my faulty idsd micro (there was too much hiss and so on, it was unbearable). Haven't been able to listen to good music for almost a month (honestly the macbook headphone out is not very good to my ears). FINALLY got it exchanged (different seller on amazon for the second piece). And this one doesn't even start up. Rapidly blinking green/blue. I plug it in and about a 1/2 hour later it completely turns off, then i unplug and plug it back in again...rinse and repeat. (As per directions on the ifi site).

P.S, if @iFi audio
  is reading this, your site says "[COLOR=656565]In rare cases (actually so far only theoretical, we have not been able to provoke this in practice) the battery may be depleted so much that after the expiry of the 30 minutes for “flat battery provision” the battery can still not be charged normally.", you may want to check this out because I definitely proved that in practice.[/COLOR]

Frankly at this point I'm thinking of cutting my losses and just buying a chord Mojo...only reason I bought the idsd over the mojo was price, but this isn't worth it.

when you first get it, it needs to be charged for quite a while until the blue light goes out. I also use a wall charger as it is faster than USB from computer. But you have to do this before listening. Once you get used to the color codes, they come in very useful. My favorite color is cyan lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back