iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #7,456 of 9,047
I apologize if this has been asked already (I did a search, and couldn't find the answer). How do I connect this to my Android phone via OTG and have it not drain the phone's battery? I never had this issue with my old Oppo HA-2 or Chord Mojo.

Thanks!

The iDSD will always drain the phone battery when the iDSD is turned OFF.

When the iDSD is turned ON, you have two options:

1) Firmware 5.2 with sleep mode - will drain the phone while sleeping

2) Firmware 5.2B without sleep mode - will not drain phone but iDSD will go flat sooner.

...and yes, you must turn on iDSD before connecting to phone so that iDSD uses battery mode.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #7,457 of 9,047
I apologize if this has been asked already (I did a search, and couldn't find the answer). How do I connect this to my Android phone via OTG and have it not drain the phone's battery? I never had this issue with my old Oppo HA-2 or Chord Mojo.

Thanks!

Turn on the ifi before connecting or install firmware 5,2B

Hope it helps
Bilson

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #7,458 of 9,047
  The transportable 'integrated' iDSD micro omits Class A operation to extend battery life and stuffing so much into a fairly small package limits component quality, though especially in the Back Label we have maxed it out as much as its enclosure and concept allows.

In the end, the two alternatives share more in common sonically than they don't. But differences exist, even if the objective measured performance between all options and combinations remains so close, one would be hard-pressed to accept that the measurable differences are enough to cause audibility.

Clearly we still have not figured out to measure the parameters that are responsible for "sound quality". 
wink_face.gif

I've just got the micro iDSD BL and feel a tangible improvement over the silver one.
I thought the silver one was a bit too dependent on the recording quality, and quite unforgiving of bad recordings, but the BL is more tolerant and a pleasurable listen. It doesn't feel like it's mellowed in any way, but just feels a lot more comfortable and easy to listen to anything.

I have one technical question. When I play a 44.1 kHz 16 bit file via USB from my Mac, Core Audio can be set up to send 16 bits natively to iDSD, but some software like JRiver says it is sending the data as 44.1kHz 32 bits by default (presumably by just filling it with zeros).

Does that make any difference in the way iDSD handles the data, such as the DAC and filter behaviour?

Also, I've noticed that the filter switch changes the perceived music volume when it is playing DSD files (Bit Perfect - i.e. Extreme Range mode sounds splashy and louder). Is this as expected?

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #7,459 of 9,047
Also, I've noticed that the filter switch changes the perceived music volume when it is playing DSD files (Bit Perfect - i.e. Extreme Range mode sounds splashy and louder). Is this as expected?

Yes.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #7,460 of 9,047
Hello. I recently purchased an iFi iDSD to include in my audio system: PC with Jriver, Audio Research preamp and power with Avalon speakers. I am replacing with it  an old Nuprime iDSD used as Dac with the  dsd files. My purpose was  use iFi dsd in direct mode connected with my audio system preamplifier. Did I make a mistake? That is what I think now after having read some of the post of this forum. Should have I bought an ifi dac2 to my project? Or idsd will be able to fulfill my expectations.
Thanks 

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #7,461 of 9,047
  Hello. I recently purchased an iFi iDSD to include in my audio system: PC with Jriver, Audio Research preamp and power with Avalon speakers. I am replacing with it  an old Nuprime iDSD used as Dac with the  dsd files. My purpose was  use iFi dsd in direct mode connected with my audio system preamplifier. Did I make a mistake? That is what I think now after having read some of the post of this forum. Should have I bought an ifi dac2 to my project? Or idsd will be able to fulfill my expectations.
Thanks 

I would love to hear these DACs on your Audio Research/Avalon combination. I am sure it would sound amazing. 

I've just been doing some thorough listening tests between my micro iDSD BL and iDAC2 via direct RCA output to my headphone amp (Violectric V281) via a Windows JRiver. In the end, the two are strong on different aspects, so it's not like the iDAC2 is far superior to iDSD BL.

I guess you are saving some money by buying the iDAC2 because it doesn't have the beefy headphone amp or the big battery, both unnecessary for your particular application. Also I like the fact that iDAC2 takes a standard USB B cable (e.g. iFi Gemini) while the iDSD needs an adapter of some sort.

My personal impression is that the iDSD BL has a bit more focus on the fundamental tone and the tangible details on the notes coming out of the musicians themselves, and gives a lot of air and space around it, so it feels like a cleaner presentation. In comparison the iDAC2 has more noticeable details around the overtones and the acoustic environment around the musicians, so it feels smoother and denser. The difference is very slight, particularly when compared with other brands of DACs. 

I ended up buying both the iDAC2 and iDSD because they serve different purposes and both sounds uniquely brilliant. You might end up doing the same...

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #7,462 of 9,047
Can the iDSD run without the battery? I've asked in the black label thread too, but there are more people here and better chance for an answer. I've seen that the battery is easily removable from the pcb, being plugged in a connector. So, can it work with the battery removed?

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #7,463 of 9,047
Can the iDSD run without the battery? I've asked in the black label thread too, but there are more people here and better chance for an answer. I've seen that the battery is easily removable from the pcb, being plugged in a connector. So, can it work with the battery removed?

We know for a fact that the iDSD cannot do Turbo mode without the battery.

Normal mode would be borderline and can call on the battery.

Eco mode should work in theory as it is within the envelope of USB power but in practice I strongly suspect that the hardware will not function without the battery.

Keep your iCAN SE and get an iDAC2 and an iPurifier2. Then you are all set.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7,465 of 9,047
How long is it necessary to fully charge idsd micro´s battery at  the first time,? Can I charge the idsd  battery   from a hub with a fast usb output ?  . 

You can charge it from anything that meets the USB spec.

24 hours is recommended just for the first time.

Edit: don't make the mistake many noobs make of trying to use the side USB port. That is for emergency charging of a phone only.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #7,467 of 9,047
I wonder to what extent is the idsd micro black worthy to pay $150 more than the idsd silver. If the idsd BL is the successor of the idsd silver then I'd be willing to buy one BL but if it's just an improved update, the real successor might appear sometime this year, therefore I'd rather wait and purchase a silver unit meanwhile.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #7,468 of 9,047
  I wonder to what extent is the idsd micro black worthy to pay $150 more than the idsd silver. If the idsd BL is the successor of the idsd silver then I'd be willing to buy one BL but if it's just an improved update, the real successor might appear sometime this year, therefore I'd rather wait and purchase a silver unit meanwhile.

The real successor will be the iDSD Pro which is overdue for release but may finally arrive by end of the year. However, it will likely cost around $2000.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #7,469 of 9,047

The real successor will be the iDSD Pro which is overdue for release but may finally arrive by end of the year. However, it will likely cost around $2000.

And it will be fully desktop just like the iCan Pro, I guess. Then can be said that the BL is the successor since that iDSD Pro will not be transportable. Then the answer is clear, I shall opt for an iDSD Micro BL.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #7,470 of 9,047
You can charge it from anything that meets the USB spec.

24 hours is recommended just for the first time.

Edit: don't make the mistake many noobs make of trying to use the side USB port. That is for emergency charging of a phone only.

It is hard to not use the side USB port when you travel with it thought :wink: it has become my power bank last year thought I rarely uses it.

Charging it back is a pain sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back