iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3,211 of 9,047
Hi guys, I need ur advice. I'm planning to get idsd along dx 90. Does that make sense? Or should I only get the ak 100 ii? Which is sonically the better option? currently own the hd 650 but I intend to get something like th900.

I am very happy with the combo. you reference. I run digital cozx. from DX90 --> iDSD with my HD600 or Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm) and the DX90 solo when I want maximum portability or with very low-impedance IEM's. Lot's of great options with this gear. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #3,212 of 9,047
I am very happy with the combo. you reference. I run digital cozx. from DX90 --> iDSD with my HD600 or Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm) and the DX90 solo when I want maximum portability or with very low-impedance IEM's. Lot's of great options with this gear. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Thx for ur reply. Can anyone compare idsd and dx90 combo with the ak100II sonically???

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,213 of 9,047

Brilliant combo and I can imagine it to be perfect for many ears. It was a little too energetic for me and lacking in body (I prefer a warmer neutral sound).

If you're considering the HD600 and the HE-400i, get the Philips Fidelio X2 which a lot consider to be a direct upgrade (to the HD600) in almost every aspect except usability with high output impedance OTL tube amps. If you're considering the T90, maybe HE-560? Do note that I haven't heard the X2 and T90 myself. Personally, if your friend says the T90, and judging from your description, the HE-560 will be a great choice. 

Please don't do this. You're giving advice and making recommendations to choose the x2 and then go on to say that you haven't even heard the x2. 
blink.gif
 At least let the guy read reviews and impressions by someone who has heard these headphones before making a blanket recommendation on something you haven't even listened to. 

I've owned all these headphones. In truth, the advice you have is mostly inaccurate. The x2 is not a direct upgrade to the hd600 but more of a direct flavor. The x2 has more treble and sub bass extension but the hd600 is better balanced and has some of the best mids out there period. So, for someone looking for better mids and vocals the hd600 makes a better choice than the x2. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #3,214 of 9,047
ΥΓΗΗ

Please don't do this. You're giving advice and making recommendations to choose the x2 and then go on to say that you haven't even heard the x2. 
blink.gif
 At least let the guy read reviews and impressions by someone who has heard these headphones before making a blanket recommendation on something you haven't even listened to. 

I've owned all these headphones. In truth, the advice you have is mostly inaccurate. The x2 is not a direct upgrade to the hd600 but more of a direct flavor. The x2 has more treble and sub bass extension but the hd600 is better balanced and has some of the best mids out there period. So, for someone looking for better mids and vocals the hd600 makes a better choice than the x2. 

First I,d like to  thank you all for taking the time to help me.

MattTCG As an owner of all  three could you comment about 400i and T90
coz you have already gave your impressions 
about hd 600 so far.
It would be really helpful for me to make my decision .
Thanks once again.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,215 of 9,047
For the HQPlayers out there:

I was finally able to successfully convert PCM to DSD and make it sound better than unconverted PCM upsampled to 352 or 384!

Here are my settings:
Oversampling filter - poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s
Modulator - ASDM7
Bit Rate - 11289600 (Quad)

With these settings in HQPlayer I am now converting all of my different PCM files to 4xDSD in playback and it definitely is the best sound quality for PCM I've experienced yet.......this player is awesome....even if the gui is lame :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,216 of 9,047

blink.gif

Thanks for noticing. I'm rather off today. It should have been "consider the" instead of "get the." 

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,217 of 9,047
  ΥΓΗΗ
First I,d like to  thank you all for taking the time to help me.

MattTCG As an owner of all  three could you comment about 400i and T90
coz you have already gave your impressions 
about hd 600 so far.
It would be really helpful for me to make my decision .
Thanks once again.
bigsmile_face.gif

The 400i has a similar presentation to the hd600. They are similarly voiced. The he400i sounds "quicker" with faster decay of notes. 

400i:

*great entry into planar magnetic headphones, sound much more expensive than it's sticker price

*imagining and separation of vocalist and instruments is impressive

*good balance without much if any emphasis on any part of the frequency

*this hp is NOT an update to the original he400, it's actually voiced to sound similar to the he500 so if you are looking for the bass response from the he400 it's not here

*not picky about amplification, sounds great from magni 2 and even less

*possibly most comfortable full sized open planar mag out there

hd600:

*one of the best balanced neutral dynamic driver even made and still a helluva bargain

*more picky about amplification, works best with a decent OTL amp (wa3, BHC...)

*fit, finish and build quality is first rate...extremely comfortable

Either of these hp's work well directly out of the micro. I'd give the nod to the he400i as a slightly better pairing with the micro. I've since added the itube and ican to my stack which tends to favor the hd6x0. You won't go wrong with either of these hp and the micro will do them both justice for sure. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3,218 of 9,047
  For the HQPlayers out there:

I was finally able to successfully convert PCM to DSD and make it sound better than unconverted PCM upsampled to 352 or 384!

Here are my settings:
Oversampling filter - poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s
Modulator - ASDM7
Bit Rate - 11289600 (Quad)

With these settings in HQPlayer I am now converting all of my different PCM files to 4xDSD in playback and it definitely is the best sound quality for PCM I've experienced yet.......this player is awesome....even if the gui is lame :)

Hi, could you please advise what CPU processor you are using to perform the oversampling?  Thanks...

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3,219 of 9,047

Hi, could you please advise what CPU processor you are using to perform the oversampling?  Thanks...

This is a 2 pc streamer setup with WS2012/ Jplay/ Audiophile Optimizer. My Audio pc has an i7 processor. I have an i5 processor on my control pc. I believe the conversion takes place on my control pc with the i5 processor and the file is played on the audio pc by an i7 processor. Also with WS2012/Audiophile Optimizer, there is less stress placed on the processor due to many "normal" windows processes being shut down.

Anyway, this 2 pc streamer is amazing and HQPlayer is a significant upgrade to JRiver in its playback capabilities.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3,220 of 9,047

This is a 2 pc streamer setup with WS2012/ Jplay/ Audiophile Optimizer. My Audio pc has an i7 processor. I have an i5 processor on my control pc. I believe the conversion takes place on my control pc with the i5 processor and the file is played on the audio pc by an i7 processor. Also with WS2012/Audiophile Optimizer, there is less stress placed on the processor due to many "normal" windows processes being shut down.

Anyway, this 2 pc streamer is amazing and HQPlayer is a significant upgrade to JRiver in its playback capabilities.

Thanks.. I have similar software (using JPlay mini) but single PC and kind of wimpy I5-4670t with a NOFAN CR-95c cooling..
Sometime in the near future I will try HQPlayer, one of the iFi DSD DAC's are on my short list..
Thanks again for the very helpful info... much appreciated

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,221 of 9,047
Hi all, new member here and new owner of the Micro. Such a fantastic sound! This is my first proper DAC, and I'm loving it; the hours fly by!

Can someone please clarify one thing however (I did have a search, but couldn't find the answer): which of the standard/minimum-phase/bit-perfect filters correspond to which DSD filters? I assume it is to standard range/extended/extreme respectively? The manual isn't very clear on this point. Thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,222 of 9,047
Hi guys.
It's been three months since I have this wonderful DAC/Amp and I'm looving its sound
beyersmile.png
. But I'm having problems when attaching it to my HTC One M8... I hear some popping no matter what buffer size I use (I use USB Audio Player Pro). Can it be fixed with a new firmware?

Thanks in advance! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #3,223 of 9,047
  Hi all, new member here and new owner of the Micro. Such a fantastic sound! This is my first proper DAC, and I'm loving it; the hours fly by!

Can someone please clarify one thing however (I did have a search, but couldn't find the answer): which of the standard/minimum-phase/bit-perfect filters correspond to which DSD filters? I assume it is to standard range/extended/extreme respectively? The manual isn't very clear on this point. Thanks in advance.

ifi gave a bit more explanation here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-v0-16-beta-firmware-calling-iclub-members-page-135/1050

I tend to leave it in the mid position which gives you:
PCM - Minimum Phase
DSD - Extended

I find in this position both PCM and DSD have a fuller more natural presentation. Of course YRMV

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,224 of 9,047
After reading through most of this and the "vs. Hugo" thread, I had pretty much decided that the micro iDSD was my all-in-one-go-anywhere DAC/amp to power all HPs I will ever own. Was going to order from Music Direct and have my friend bring it back in June. But I just discovered a local seller on Taiwan's version of Amazon just discounted it by 40%
biggrin.gif

So I'm going to pull the trigger and have it delivered to my doorstep for US$315
beyersmile.png

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #3,225 of 9,047
After reading through most of this and the "vs. Hugo" thread, I had pretty much decided that the micro iDSD was my all-in-one-go-anywhere DAC/amp to power all HPs I will ever own. Was going to order from Music Direct and have my friend bring it back in June. But I just discovered a local seller on Taiwan's version of Amazon just discounted it by 40% :D

So I'm going to pull the trigger and have it delivered to my doorstep for US$315 :beyersmile:

Wow, you were super lucky with the price! I bought mine for 499 € because, I did not wanted to wait to be shipped somwhere far away :)

Still worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back