IFA2008: new headphones! audio-technica, AKG, Sony! Infos on beyer etc.
Sep 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the ESW10 is a limited edition of 1500 units? Or is that 50 out of every 1500?

It's a limited edition of 1500, 50 of these will hit the European market.

I am editing the photos right now, think I'll have them uploaded soon.

[size=xx-small]@Mods: I just realized there is a forum for trade show reports. Maybe you can move the thread there? Because a lot of things that follow will be offtopic here in the fullsize headphones forum as well as in the portable headphones forum. And since I don't want to split the thread...you get the point. Thanks.[/size]

m00h

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #32 of 74
Photos!!
biggrin.gif

Pleazzzze...

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, that may be questionable as there are only 50 of 1500 units are going to be sold in Europe. I wasn't able to get to know anything about the US/North American market as there simply was no one there that would have been responsible.

50 units in Europe?

Through one shop I presume or is it a free-for-all?

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 74
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to sell my ESW9 and buy these if possible, before they turn into some uber rare like W11JPN or L3000.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #35 of 74
OK, pics are edited (not much, on most just the size and a bit of lighting correction).

Let's start with the new portables from AKG:
K420: meant to replace the K412 P:

K4201.jpg

K4202.jpg

K430: meant to replace the K414 P:
K4301.jpg

K4302.jpg

K450: meant to replace the K416 P:
K4501.jpg

K4502.jpg

K4503.jpg

K4504.jpg

I actually listened to them with my own MP3 player. Isolation is not bad. The sound reminded me of the K518/K81. No details though because it was noisy and to short.

K480 NC: meant to replace the K440 NC:
K480NC1.jpg

K480NC2.jpg

K480NC3.jpg

K480NC4.jpg

I tried out the noise canceling...not very good. Soundwise a bit lush and bright, lacking bass. Maybe it would be enough bass in a not so noisy environement (Harman hall was really loud, with JBL and Infinity speaker demos, a moderated live show and car-hifi systems with overdimensioned subwoofers). The (in Germany!) equally priced ANC7s do a much better job AND sound nicer in direct comparison.

They will also release the K514 in a second color, a (IMHO appealing) brownish-golden color.
K5141.jpg

K5142.jpg

I wish I could show you what was behind this door:
blackbox.jpg

But unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me when I was allowed to enter (together with the AKG guy I am in contact with). So You'll have to stick with my description: A limited edition series of the AKG K518 DJ in all colors of the rainbow! Red, yellow, blue, purple...they looked amazing.
I do not know if they will hit the US market. However, I will definitely get one in red!
biggrin.gif

I also listened to these infamous Sonys:
interesting.jpg

It was way too loud in the Sony hall for a sound impression (although it didn't sound bad at all) but at least it's much more comfortable then it looks.

To be continued in next post due to limitation of picture amount.

m00h

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #36 of 74
So then let's come to some impressions of the new colors available for Manufaktur beyers.
manu1.jpg

manu2.jpg

manu3.jpg

manu4.jpg

manu5.jpg

manu6.jpg

manu7.jpg

manu8.jpg

manu9.jpg

manu10.jpg

manu11.jpg

I think they speak for themselves.

Oh, there is also this very weird new Sony:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/tschnutschi/rest/IFA2008/OMG.jpg
O_O

A new "hiend" Philips (behind glas):
philips1.jpg

philips2.jpg

Oh and did I tell you that I really like trade shows?
biggrin.gif

akgpolo.jpg

That's it. Not much new this year compared to the others - we'll see what's up next year.

m00h

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #38 of 74
Where are the D7000's?

The news colors for Beyer Hadphones are a bit too much for me. I prefer my poor sony R10.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50 units in Europe?

Through one shop I presume or is it a free-for-all?

AT has a dual system in Europe. They sell headphones themselves (atheadphones.com) and via shops. So if a shop is interested in one or two it will get them.

Argh, I forgot the AH-D7000:
denon1.jpg

denon2.jpg

denon3.jpg

denon4.jpg

My first impressions are based on a 20 minute listening session in the dealer area of Denon, it was really quite there.
And I must say: this headphone really blew my mind. I don't like it's strong and powerful bass but everything else was just impressive. Very nice tonal ballance, extremly clear but never annoying highs and very spacey, 3D like sound. The price tag is hefty and without direct comparison these impressions must be handled with care...but if I will be able to hear it again (at home) I will definitely do that!

Oh and there was this digital Sony noise canceling headphone. By far the best noise canceling phone I've ever heard!
But you have to live with quite a lot of downsides: integrated LiIon battery that lasts 16 Hours. No battery - no sound.
I directly compared them to my ANC7s on my MP3 player and I was shocked how far I hat to turn the volume up. With the ANC7s I listen at 9/25. With the Sonys I had to turn up to 18!
I forgot to take a photo of it but the design, comfort and finish are really nice.
But with 399€ MSRP the ANC7s (199€ MSRP) are the much better choice for the money.

I think that's it. If I remember anything else I will add it, of course. I'll also try to answer your questions.

[size=xx-small]And another thanks to the mod who moved the thread!
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

m00h

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #41 of 74
Yeah, I figured you meant limited edition. I was just hoping it wasn't.... Better come up with some funds quickly. Do you have the release date for Japan?

Is there a any kind of reasoning behind the design of those Sony cans? Or maybe they just thought it was a good idea...

I'd really like to listen to some Denons. I haven't had the opportunity yet.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AT has a dual system in Europe. They sell headphones themselves (atheadphones.com) and via shops. So if a shop is interested in one or two it will get them.

Did not know that, thank you

I do not know the forum rules on this, so apologies and moderate if needs be, but as a recent Bluetin customer (see sig
biggrin.gif
), I would most definitely be interested in grabbing one of the elusive 50 (crazy price tag notwithstanding
popcorn.gif
)

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #43 of 74
sorry what? Are they only making 50 ESW10s?
edit: I read it's just 50 for Europe

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 74
Thanks a lot for telling us about the headphones at IFA 2008. I've been looking at some of the other tech sites and it seems nobody is interested in headphones
frown.gif

I really appreciate all the information and the pictures.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #45 of 74
Thanks for telling us everything about everyones new wares. The ESW10s look really nice but being LE are probably going to be massively expensive. The AKG look nice but wish there was some innovation there rather than just different colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back