IFA2008: new headphones! audio-technica, AKG, Sony! Infos on beyer etc.
Aug 30, 2008 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

m00hk00h

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

it's IFA* again and just like the years before I decided to let you guys know what will hit the markets soon, providing some photos and some first impressions.

*The IFA in Berlin is the world's largest Consumer Electronics trade fair which makes it a perfect opportunity to introduce new products.

First I will start with the brand new to come audio-technica ATH-ESW10 japan.

Overview:
overviewflash.jpg

Looks like an ESW9 on the first sight, but then you realize how glossy they look:
overview.jpg

Earcup details:

With flash, for the true color nature
color.jpg

Earcups and pads:
glossy.jpg

glossy2.jpg

(Yeah, that's me in the reflection...)

The first impression (not very long as I am beeing busy) is that it's a lot brighter sounding then what I remember from the ESW9 with a tight bass, audio-technica typical mids with slightly boosted heights.

I also came across the Harman International hall (they traditionally rent a whole hall (#18)) and saw that AKG has some new (portable? They looked small!) phones.

I also decided to provide some pics of beyers new Manufatur-colors. They look a LOT nicer in reality.

Sony introduces a new NC headphone and I have to admit: I have never before heard such a good NC. It works digitally, looks terrific, has an integrated battery and is supposed to be 400€ on the European market.
Didn't have a chance to check out the audio qualities of this comfortable beauty. I'll take pics and have a demo when I can spare some time...
I also heard they have a PFR-V1 there...

I also found Sennheisers booth by chance, it's really tiny compared to the last year - almost overlooked it. I'll definitely have a talk with the guys there...and ask about the "infamous" HD800, of course.

I didn't came around much, yet. But Wednesday is my day off and I promise to provide at least the info from above. If I find anything else worth mentioning, I will do so.

But now I'll take a shower and caress my feed!

Cheers!
m00h

PS: pic size OK?

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 74
Oh no... They aren't going to release a new portable woody every year are they? I want that... I can't afford it. Is that glossy finish even remotely practical for a portable phone? I'm going to huddle in a corner...

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no... They aren't going to release a new portable woody every year are they? I want that... I can't afford it. Is that glossy finish even remotely practical for a portable phone? I'm going to huddle in a corner...

..and what about the ES7? I am cleaning it every felt 5 minutes so it looks good all the time...

Oh, I just remember having heard someone talking about the Denon AH-D7000, seems they brought one. Their booth is not far away from the booth I work...

m00h

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 74
Haha, I guess you're right. This all sounds very interesting. Do you know if they plan on releasing the ESW10 in the States? They didn't for the 9, but it would probably make it more affordable.

Looking forward to hearing about everything there.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I guess you're right. This all sounds very interesting. Do you know if they plan on releasing the ESW10 in the States?

Good question...I know that there are already some on their way to the European at-headquarter in Britain which means it will be available in Europe soon. The ESW9 wasn't available here!

But I'll try to find out what the situation in the states will be. Probably won't be easy as we only have the guys responsible for the European distribution.
But I'll ask!

m00h

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 74
Thanks. It's cool if you can't find out, that's ok. The fact that they're going to be available in Europe is a good sign. Did you get to listen to them long enough to compare them to your ES7? I remember you preferred the ES7 to the ESW9 when you compared them. (Correct me if I'm wrong) I happen to like the ESW9, but I wish they would have improved the headband construction for this new model though.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 74
Oh man, another new AT?
Geez, why do they do this to me.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 74
Thanks for nice pics
smily_headphones1.gif

The ESW9 was also on the IFA last year and released in mid october after that. I guess we'll see a similar timeline here.

m00h do you have more infos about the release date and maybe the japanese retail price?

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 74
Gotta love the look of the glossy woody headphones the Japanese brands are bringing out.

Nice pics!

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang. The ATH-ESW10 looks like the ATH-W2002's little buddy.

Double dang! I bought my ESW9 bnew just 2 months ago, and I find them a tad too dark sounding (was planning to do a cable upgrade soon). If those ESW10 are indeed a bit brighter, perhaps they might better suit my listening taste. Aaargh!
mad.gif

WTS: ESW9 (like new)!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back