If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3,231 of 19,256
It would be great if Etymotic manages to design a new ER4 made for over the ear wear and yet still allow deep insertion. Although the shirt clip does significantly reduce microphonics, it's sometime a kind of annoyance since you have to position it on your shirt such that the cables of the Etys don't get taut when you turn your head, move etc.

You can put them in, as if you are wearing them down, then loop the cable up and around your ear. Looks goofy but works.

Haha I don't really want to look goofy when I'm wearing my Etys on public transport. Having so many stares in the morning and in the evening won't be a good way to start and end thr day! XD

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3,233 of 19,256
Couple questions for anyone who is interested: 

1) If you have custom tips, would you recommend them? 

2) If you amp the ER4S, what amp do you recommend? 

3) I'm trying to remember what a ER4S sounds like, though I may have only heard the ER4P. Does anyone have the HD600 or RE400 to compare it to?

I've done some reading on this thread lately so don't feel bad if you feel like these questions have already been answered. I'm just looking for any further advice....

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,234 of 19,256

3) I'm trying to remember what a ER4S sounds like, though I may have only heard the ER4P. Does anyone have the HD600 or RE400 to compare it to?

I've done some reading on this thread lately so don't feel bad if you feel like these questions have already been answered. I'm just looking for any further advice....

1) I don't have custom tips, but all i see in regards to them is that it's a mixed bag. Half the time it doesn't fit quite as good, or they lose their seal after moving your jaw around. The ones that do have a good fit still don't compare in isolation to the tri-flange, nor is their an improvement in sound. This tells me the only reason you should go through all the trouble is if you want greater comfort, that's the only legit reason. Not worth the trouble for me, tri-flanges aren't too bad for me.

2) I like the C&C BH2, it was made with the Etymotic ER-4P/S in mind.

3) RE-400 is pretty similar, but the ety is a bit more linear and extended. RE-400 is killer for its price. I can't comment on the HD-600 comparison.

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,235 of 19,256

I have microsonics customs, and after my fourth set was made (fifth is being attempted now) I would pass unless comfort is absolutely a problem, but even then the sound could be far enough off from the stock ety sound, that you might be better off getting something else like the re272 or something to see if the fit is better.  It might actually be closer to the ety sound than the ety with the customs.  But as he said, you'll find mixed reviews.

For an amp, I'd say use it without one if you have an ipod or fuze or something reasonable.  If you find volume is an issue than the jds labs c5 is very excellent reference quality.  It won't add warmth of anything if that's what you're looking to do, but it does have a bass boost, although excessive.  Their new amp/dac (c5d) is only $50 more and have a two point bass boost (very nice).

I haven't heard the re400, but the er4s is better than the hd600 in my opinion.  The hd600 will give you a more speaker like bass, but the ety sounds smoother to me across the whole range.  The best way I would compare them is to say the hd600 is a bit more spacious like a speaker, with more bass like a speaker but overal "dry" sounding.  The er4s is more 3d and has more depth, but less room spaciousness and sounds whetter and smoother.  both are very flat and great, but the different types of presentation from the different style of phones is hard to describe sometimes.

The er4s will sound very similar to the er4p but brighter with more treble accuracy.  It almost sounds like someone took an er4p and removed the mud. :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,236 of 19,256

The er4s will sound very similar to the er4p but brighter with more treble accuracy.  It almost sounds like someone took an er4p and removed the mud. :)

You described it perfectly, mud is removed by going from P to S.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3,237 of 19,256
I started on ER4s years ago and loved how they isolated the sound. The only negative was the microphonic cable (I was an early adopter) and the fact that after 6 hours or so, I would experience ear fatigue (physical not sonic) due to fit. They set the benchmark for me and I still like them. I've tried Shure, Sennheiser, Klipsch and in the last year finally had custom IEMS made. Still, for what they offer the ER4 is a solid performer. They make a good earpiece/mic for plugged in use with phones, too.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,238 of 19,256
ER-4PT came in today and damn these things are clear and butter smooth.  Tonal balance problems are overblown to say the least.  I won't be using the S adapter but even it wasn't bright and I'm an Audeze guy :p  Comfort on the other hand... need work.  The smaller 3 flange is still a little big for the hole in my ear.  I can get it in with a lot of force but it feels like it's cutting in, that's too tight for me.  Shure foam are better but not great because the angle isn't quite right.  The included tear drop foam is working best so far.  Tomorrow I'll pull out the Comply which usually fit me best.  Showing promise for sure though a lot less efficient than I had imagined.  Pretty much using the same step on the GS-X for the LCD-3 and ER-4PT :O

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,239 of 19,256
  ER-4PT came in today and damn these things are clear and butter smooth.  Tonal balance problems are overblown to say the least.  I won't be using the S adapter but even it wasn't bright and I'm an Audeze guy :p  Comfort on the other hand... need work.  The smaller 3 flange is still a little big for the hole in my ear.  I can get it in with a lot of force but it feels like it's cutting in, that's too tight for me.  Shure foam are better but not great because the angle isn't quite right.  The included tear drop foam is working best so far.  Tomorrow I'll pull out the Comply which usually fit me best.  Showing promise for sure though a lot less efficient than I had imagined.  Pretty much using the same step on the GS-X for the LCD-3 and ER-4PT :O

The flanges are a little rough in the beginning. This might sound gross, but let the residual ear wax soften them up, or use some baby oil. Plus, your ear canals have to get accustomed to it as well since it is an unnatural object you're inserting into your body lol. Glad to see you enjoy them. It's hard to knock a sonic stalwart that's been in production for 20+ years. Don't fix what isn't broken right?
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3,240 of 19,256

Go for the Comply's for sure. If you soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide for a couple of seconds then squish that out and rinse with soap and water they get a little softer. By far my favourite tip for the ER4 and I've had over 20 years to experiment with em:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back