If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 26, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #19,096 of 19,256
This is correct. We used to test at 200mV, but when we transitioned to a new test system that tested at 100mV, we missed the printing on the certificate. So 98dB is correct with 100mV drive, 104dB is correct with 200mV drive.

The 98dB @1mW is just wrong and I have no idea how that got on the website.
The 98dB @ 1mW on the website created more confusion for me, because if you convert sensitivity at 1mW (98db) to sensitivity at 200mV, then – according to ChatGPT – you also get 97.5dB, the exact same value as on my certificate.

So the actual values for ER4SR sensitivity are:
98dB @ 100mV
104dB @ 200 mV
104.5dB @ 1mW
118dB @ 1.0V

Right?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #19,099 of 19,256
Here Etymotic Er2xr combined with Shure Tw2 with lunashop 6cm mmcx adapter. Perfect combination for me.

IMG_2518.jpeg

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #19,100 of 19,256
To all my friends on Head-Fi,

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic. It's been an amazing ride. I've worked on so many designs over the years that I hold dear (HF series, MC series, ER2, ER3, ER4, EVO, etc). I've met a lot of you at CanJams and the shared enthusiasm of people that love audio has always been special to me. I truly value each and every one of you have that supported the products that I've helped design and the companies that I've worked for.

As you may have been able to tell, I really enjoy this stuff, so I will still participate in threads and offer technical advice (feel free to tag me with questions), I just won't be able to help sort out things like orders and customer service. I am sure that there are other that will take on that role.

My hope/plan is to stay in the industry, so you may see me in another role. At the very least, you will see me on Head-Fi as a fellow enthusiast.

Happy holidays and best regards. I'll see you on the other side.

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #19,102 of 19,256

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic. It's been an amazing ride. I've worked on so many designs over the years that I hold dear (HF series, MC series, ER2, ER3, ER4, EVO, etc). I've met a lot of you at CanJams and the shared enthusiasm of people that love audio has always been special to me. I truly value each and every one of you have that supported the products that I've helped design and the companies that I've worked for.

As you may have been able to tell, I really enjoy this stuff, so I will still participate in threads and offer technical advice (feel free to tag me with questions), I just won't be able to help sort out things like orders and customer service. I am sure that there are other that will take on that role.

My hope/plan is to stay in the industry, so you may see me in another role. At the very least, you will see me on Head-Fi as a fellow enthusiast.

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave
Dave-Thank you for all your support over the years...your expertise was very much appreciated. Best of luck in your future endeavors! Charlie

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #19,103 of 19,256
What?! Nooo….. Happy new journey @EtyDave! Thank you for all the guidance and help you’ve giving us all this time. And make sure you keep in touch.

And I really hope the new Etymotic representative that gets here eventually is as helpful and amicable as you.

Thanks @Oscarilbo. It's been my pleasure to help. I'll continue to do my best as I still love the brand.

I'm not going anywhere, I just won't be an official rep anymore. So keeping in touch will be fairly easy. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #19,104 of 19,256
Dave-Thank you for all your support over the years...your expertise was very much appreciated. Best of luck in your future endeavors! Charlie

Thanks @Chaz1952. I truly appreciate it.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #19,105 of 19,256

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave
ER4SR be with you, amen.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #19,106 of 19,256

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic.

Two weeks before Christmas? That's... rough, to say the least. I do hope you quickly find another job in the industry. You've been very helpful; Ety owns a lot of its good rep here to you. Whomever you work for next will be very lucky.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #19,107 of 19,256
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #19,108 of 19,256
Two weeks before Christmas? That's... rough, to say the least. I do hope you quickly find another job in the industry. You've been very helpful; Ety owns a lot of its good rep here to you. Whomever you work for next will be very lucky.

Yeah, perhaps not the ideal timing, but that's how these things sometimes work out.

I'm in talks with somebody in the industry already, so I may land somewhere soon. Nothing solid yet, but I've made a number of friends and colleagues over the years, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I also have a higher paying lead outside of the industry, but I'd rather design hi-fi gear, so that's what I hope to do.

The toughest thing is leaving behind a brand that I've internalized and grown with over the years. Designing for (and eventually running) the Etymotic division has been a true honor and I will miss it. I hope that it thrives in my absence as I care deeply about it.

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #19,109 of 19,256
The toughest thing is leaving behind a brand that I've internalized and grown with over the years. Designing for (and eventually running) the Etymotic division has been a true honor and I will miss it. I hope that it thrives in my absence as I care deeply about it.

I'd ask, "What was Lucid Audio even thinking?," but I doubt you could answer. We talked about the T2 connector for the ER4SR, as well as about sharp-angled connectors for over-ear wear, etc. So much potential still, so much going through the window. Lucid Audio also acquired Westone Audio; I guess Etymotic is no longer valued as an individual entity, just as a brand with a certain image. Let's consolidate, that's more efficient! So many good brands died a slow death that way....

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #19,110 of 19,256
I'd ask, "What was Lucid Audio even thinking?," but I doubt you could answer. We talked about the T2 connector for the ER4SR, as well as about sharp-angled connectors for over-ear wear, etc. So much potential still, so much going through the window. Lucid Audio also acquired Westone Audio; I guess Etymotic is no longer valued as an individual entity, just as a brand with a certain image. Let's consolidate, that's more efficient! So many good brands died a slow death that way....

Yeah, I was in charge of Westone Audio as well. It agree that there’s still a lot of potential and I truly hope to see that potential fulfilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back