If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 8, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #18,842 of 19,257
my clear medium triple flange got weird recently, it will leak some liquid if it left in humid place like inside wardrobe. I place it along with silica gel, and already wash them, can anyone explain what happened?
Maybe oil from your skin absorbed by the silicone material?

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #18,843 of 19,257
my clear medium triple flange got weird recently, it will leak some liquid if it left in humid place like inside wardrobe. I place it along with silica gel, and already wash them, can anyone explain what happened?
It's kind of funny you mentioned this as just yesterday I opened the case of my ER4SRs (which admittedly haven't been used in probably over a year) to discover that the little rubber Left+Right mmcx connectors w/ the notch (that hook to the earpieces) appeared to be sticky & covered in some sort of clear-ish film. My first thought was that the rubber was starting to deteriorate/melt as some plastics/rubber materials tend do when they get old & set unused for an extended period of time (my er4sr set is quite old and were purchased immediately after the product was introduced years ago,) but I'm wondering if it might be something similar to what you're seeing. I use the larger gray triple flange tips and they appeared to be clean so not sure what the issue is. I cleaned the rubber connectors with some alcohol after seeing the issue and haven't re-cased them yet and so far they appear to be fine.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #18,846 of 19,257
It's kind of funny you mentioned this as just yesterday I opened the case of my ER4SRs (which admittedly haven't been used in probably over a year) to discover that the little rubber Left+Right mmcx connectors w/ the notch (that hook to the earpieces) appeared to be sticky & covered in some sort of clear-ish film. My first thought was that the rubber was starting to deteriorate/melt as some plastics/rubber materials tend do when they get old & set unused for an extended period of time (my er4sr set is quite old and were purchased immediately after the product was introduced years ago,) but I'm wondering if it might be something similar to what you're seeing. I use the larger gray triple flange tips and they appeared to be clean so not sure what the issue is. I cleaned the rubber connectors with some alcohol after seeing the issue and haven't re-cased them yet and so far they appear to be fine.

Typically, that's body oils, but it does vary from person to person. I've not seen any chemical breakdown of the rubber overmold material.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #18,847 of 19,257
Do the ER2 use the same notched-MMCX cable connector as the ER4?

Yes, they are the same, and all of the cables in the line (ER2, ER3, ER4) are all interchangeable.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #18,849 of 19,257
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Like I said, I cleaned them and they appear to be good as new a day or two later.

I'm glad that they appear to be OK. :)

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #18,850 of 19,257
Maybe oil from your skin absorbed by the silicone material?
I also have another triple flange from 3rd party manufacturers but didn't leak any liquid like ety does, probably different material also affecting it.
my er3se rubber on left - right connector also starting to melt a long time ago when I keep it with carrying pouch inside my wardrobe, now I place it inside mini jar seems better.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #18,852 of 19,257
I'll do that Dave. Thank you.
I can attest it happens with both ears. Sometimes it just one, other times in both at the same time.
Hi guys and @EtyDave

Hey Dave. Just to let you know I'm still having this issue with my ER4SR. It happens like 85% of the time I use them: A little while after connecting them and play something, these like quick "clicks" appear in one side or the other, sometimes they are three fast "clicks" other times they are more. Just as a reference, they sound like the clicks one can hear when plugging your IEMs as they enter into the input connection and you are wearing them. Also I should mention that when it happens it only happens once and no more in the current listening session, unless I unplug them and plug them again.

I mainly listen the ER4SR using my Schiit stack (Modi3+ and Heresy amp). I've tried them a couple of times directly into my DAP but the issue has not been reproduced there, although I don't feel I have tested them long enough this way. But even if it were just with the DAC/AMP stack, why it does not happen with any other of my headphones including the ER2SE?

Could it be some kind of issue with the BA drivers, or the cable?

What would you advice me? Thanks so much in advance

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #18,853 of 19,257
Hi guys and @EtyDave

Hey Dave. Just to let you know I'm still having this issue with my ER4SR. It happens like 85% of the time I use them: A little while after connecting them and play something, these like quick "clicks" appear in one side or the other, sometimes they are three fast "clicks" other times they are more. Just as a reference, they sound like the clicks one can hear when plugging your IEMs as they enter into the input connection and you are wearing them. Also I should mention that when it happens it only happens once and no more in the current listening session, unless I unplug them and plug them again.

I mainly listen the ER4SR using my Schiit stack (Modi3+ and Heresy amp). I've tried them a couple of times directly into my DAP but the issue has not been reproduced there, although I don't feel I have tested them long enough this way. But even if it were just with the DAC/AMP stack, why it does not happen with any other of my headphones including the ER2SE?

Could it be some kind of issue with the BA drivers, or the cable?

What would you advice me? Thanks so much in advance

Hey Oscarilbo,

My first recommendation would be to spend some more time with your DAP and see if you see the problem there. If it shows up there, then there is likely damage to the headphones. If I were to make an educated guess based on your description, I think the most likely source of the click would be a bent drive pin the balanced armature driver. The most common cause of this is mechanical shock (it got dropped, it hit the edge of the table hard, etc). But I'm not sure that's what's going on here if it only happens once and never again. That's odd.

If it only happens with the Schitt, then there may be something going on with the amplifier or DAC. It could be a digital artifact from the DAC or it could be an issue with the amplifier where there is a DC offset on the headphone output and it's pre-biasing the armature of the driver in one direction and the armature is banging into the coils. But again, if that was the case, I would expect it to happen repeatedly, not just at the beginning of the session.

So, I think spending DAP only time is the best starting point here. The fact that it never happens again in a listening session, but does if you unplug and replug makes me think it might not be the earphones, but we need more info.

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #18,854 of 19,257
Hey Oscarilbo,

My first recommendation would be to spend some more time with your DAP and see if you see the problem there. If it shows up there, then there is likely damage to the headphones. If I were to make an educated guess based on your description, I think the most likely source of the click would be a bent drive pin the balanced armature driver. The most common cause of this is mechanical shock (it got dropped, it hit the edge of the table hard, etc). But I'm not sure that's what's going on here if it only happens once and never again. That's odd.

If it only happens with the Schitt, then there may be something going on with the amplifier or DAC. It could be a digital artifact from the DAC or it could be an issue with the amplifier where there is a DC offset on the headphone output and it's pre-biasing the armature of the driver in one direction and the armature is banging into the coils. But again, if that was the case, I would expect it to happen repeatedly, not just at the beginning of the session.

So, I think spending DAP only time is the best starting point here. The fact that it never happens again in a listening session, but does if you unplug and replug makes me think it might not be the earphones, but we need more info.
Ok then. I will be doing this and will report back as soon as I feel is enough testing.
Thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back