If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #10,411 of 19,256
Is anybody else having issues with the clear, large 3-flange ear tips? I find them to get excessively dirty and disgusting only after a month of usage whereas the old gray 3-flange that come with the 4Ps to be much nicer. 

Dave, any reason why the tips were switched? 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #10,412 of 19,256
  Is anybody else having issues with the clear, large 3-flange ear tips? I find them to get excessively dirty and disgusting only after a month of usage whereas the old gray 3-flange that come with the 4Ps to be much nicer. 

Dave, any reason why the tips were switched? 

Part of it was that the clear tip looks aesthetically nice, at least in the beginning.

But on a more important note, it is important for people to change their tips periodically.  Some folks have a tendency to use them so long that they start falling apart, and it's really a good idea to throw them away before they get to that point.

If they aren't very old, try washing them out in warm water (don't use alcohol).  That might clean them up a bit.  After a couple of months, I would throw them away.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #10,414 of 19,256

Part of it was that the clear tip looks aesthetically nice, at least in the beginning.

But on a more important note, it is important for people to change their tips periodically.  Some folks have a tendency to use them so long that they start falling apart, and it's really a good idea to throw them away before they get to that point.

If they aren't very old, try washing them out in warm water (don't use alcohol).  That might clean them up a bit.  After a couple of months, I would throw them away.

What about the different stiffness between the small tri flange and the large tri flange?
Any reason to make it different? 
Size wise, the small fits me better as it can go deeper into the ear canal, but it is harder than the large one, which makes me feel uncomfortable. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #10,415 of 19,256
  Ok. I'm nitpicking, but the perfect iem would be the ER4XR up to 500Hz and ER4SR after... I like the ER4XR but wish it had the mids of the ER4XR. 

Wonder if some filter changing might move it in that direction?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #10,416 of 19,256
EtyDave, I believe I read somewhere that you select drivers for a pair by measuring their parameters, at least for ER4 models. Could you please confirm or deny it, including the new SR/XR models?

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #10,417 of 19,256

What's the other part, cost?

They definitely feel different, although that could just be in my head. The clear ones feel more firm and aren't as comfortable in the ear. While I agree the clear tips are more aesthetically pleasing, for me, functionality > form and I've been using my old gray tips in place of the newer clear ones. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #10,418 of 19,256

What about the different stiffness between the small tri flange and the large tri flange?
Any reason to make it different? 
Size wise, the small fits me better as it can go deeper into the ear canal, but it is harder than the large one, which makes me feel uncomfortable. 

There actually isn't a specified difference in durometer, but there are a couple of reasons why it might feel a bit different:

1.)  It's a different mold and the flanges are smaller than the larger 3-flange.  That might contribute to a slightly stiffer feeling eartip.

2.)  Sometimes different color eartips have a slightly different feel (I suspect that this is due to the colorant added to the material, but don't quote me on that).

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #10,419 of 19,256
  EtyDave, I believe I read somewhere that you select drivers for a pair by measuring their parameters, at least for ER4 models. Could you please confirm or deny it, including the new SR/XR models?

The earpieces for the SR/XR models are assembled first.  Once they are built, they are tested and matched within 1dB from 100Hz to 10kHz.

Matching drivers prior to build isn't very efficient as it isn't the only factor in the final response of the earphones.  A pre-build match will likely not be as tightly matched after it's assembled.  Doing it after assembly yields an overall tighter matched earphone.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #10,420 of 19,256

What's the other part, cost?

They definitely feel different, although that could just be in my head. The clear ones feel more firm and aren't as comfortable in the ear. While I agree the clear tips are more aesthetically pleasing, for me, functionality > form and I've been using my old gray tips in place of the newer clear ones. 

Cost isn't a factor in this particular situation.  It really was just about aesthetics and the fact the eartips help serve as a bit of a reminder that they need to be changed periodically.

I agree that at first insertion the clear ones have a slightly different feel.  After a couple of insertions I don't really have a preference.

While we ship with the Clear tips, we do actually still stock the Gray ones, so they are available if that is what you prefer.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #10,421 of 19,256
Btw, thanks to everybody for all the comments and suggestions on the eartips.  I'm doing my best to answer your questions about what we are doing and why, but this is very good feedback and I like having it for discussions at Etymotic about things that people like and don't like about our products.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #10,423 of 19,256
  EtyDave, have your company ever considered that it's probably will be efficient to make M-size tips?

Hey Max,

It's actually not something we get a lot of requests for.  Based on fit studies we did, the small works for the majority of ears and the large size usually works for those who can't use the small size.  That said, I could see a size in between the two being slightly more comfortable for some users.

I did bring it up after getting a couple of requests for it here.  We talked about it a bit, but it isn't something we are pursuing at this time.  It's actually a significant expenditure to spool that up so I suspect there would have to be a bit more consumer demand for that to happen.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #10,425 of 19,256
Btw, thanks to everybody for all the comments and suggestions on the eartips.  I'm doing my best to answer your questions about what we are doing and why, but this is very good feedback and I like having it for discussions at Etymotic about things that people like and don't like about our products.

Since tips seem to be the hot topic today, whatever happened to the old white triple flanges?

Will we ever see them return?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back