If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,936 of 19,257
  I'm not sure if anyone can advise but I have the ER4S and they do seem to sound nice. I have to turn down some of the high frequencies alll the way down on my mobile because i get horrible harshness and sibilance. I'm going to try buying a high end audio mp3 (fiio 5, I currently use a Galaxy s5) to resolve this but...

One thing that is driving me nuts about this is how thick and heavy the cable is. Any sort of knock on the wire and it's really bad. I have tried using the clip but it still doesn't reall work. If I'm wearing a jacket for example the thin part of the cable where the headphones are still knocks against the collar of my jacket. I use the headphones to commute everyday so I'm not sitting at home listening. Perhaps I bought the wrong headphones for this?

Also can someone link me to what a shure olive is? I've tried googling but the pictures just come up with all sorts of things, so these unofficially work with Etmoytics?

Now reading through this thread its advised to buy red filters to give more bass? I don't like it my music thin and flat. Bit annoying I have to buy a pair of headphones and then tips and then some filters. WHy can't I find a pair of headphones that just work! Been through so many..

Perhaps a pair of Comply T-100 might help to tone down the highs and warm up the sound for you....adn don't forget....deeeeeeeeepppppp insertion's way to go for the ER4S

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,937 of 19,257
Tried to read through everything. Couldn't find anything on head-fi, but has anyone tried sheathing their er4p's in paracord, or anything to cut down on microphonics? I am thinking of trying something. At the very least above the clip. Aiming for less microphonics. It still seems there isn't an ideal cable for this. The best two I read of here are the newer OEM etymotic stock cables, and possibly the westone. Trying to take it further if possible. Would making a sheath help eliminate a large amount of microphonics?

The most effective way to damp out microphonics is to drape the cables over your ears. A simple chin cinch can also help.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #4,938 of 19,257
Ok. Thanks. Er4p over the ears? Seems tricky. I think I tried. I will try again.

Also, I agree that at first the er4p can seem harsh and I had mixed feelings about these, but with the comply t 100 tips, and (iPod classic) bass booster I found these to be really great. I also ordered the small frost triple flange tips and it is a perfect fit for me vs the regular size. A portable amp will really do the trick though. Sometimes I use my Sansui integrated amp with technics sl1200 and at440mla cartridge. Blue note records sound amazing. My system gets me very close to feeling like I am there. The er4p's almost get me to the point where I can hear the musicians' thoughts. They just bring out So much.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4,940 of 19,257
Ok. Thanks. Er4p over the ears? Seems tricky. I think I tried. I will try again.

A good deep isertion is also a requirement for the cables to go over your ears properly. Make sure the cable is pointing upwards and slightly forward and just hang it over your ear. Once you've done it a few times it becomes quite natural.
Also, I think the cables tend to soften a bit with age and become less microphonic.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,941 of 19,257
People with microphonics issues, get a plastic twisty tie and wrap it around the cable like this photo. This eliminates nearly all microphonics. I can take the ER4S running without issues.

0fd3ff94_IMG_20140422_1628192.jpeg

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #4,943 of 19,257
Yeah check the thread photo history and you'll see a lot of pics I've posted of this set up. You just need to make the cable turn around 180 degrees and then tie it up so you can wear it over the ear. Same goes for both ear pieces.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #4,944 of 19,257
People with microphonics issues, get a plastic twisty tie and wrap it around the cable like this photo. This eliminates nearly all microphonics. I can take the ER4S running without issues.

This works better than wearing them up as it brings the cables in closer so they have more contact with the top of your ear.
Another way of reversing the cable in this manner is to use the inner tube of an old foam tip. Just push it over the doubled back cable.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4,945 of 19,257
Originally Posted by greenkomodo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing that is driving me nuts about this is how thick and heavy the cable is. Any sort of knock on the wire and it's really bad. I have tried using the clip but it still doesn't reall work. If I'm wearing a jacket for example the thin part of the cable where the headphones are still knocks against the collar of my jacket. I use the headphones to commute everyday so I'm not sitting at home listening. Perhaps I bought the wrong headphones for this?

Another option is to simply put the cable around the neck.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,946 of 19,257
This works better than wearing them up as it brings the cables in closer so they have more contact with the top of your ear.
Another way of reversing the cable in this manner is to use the inner tube of an old foam tip. Just push it over the doubled back cable.

Can't picture this. Can you clarify the inner tube and doubled back cable? Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4,947 of 19,257
I ordered a 2 pin (UE style) to Ety mini adapter from eBay. I'm going to try using a standard IEM cable wearing it over the ear. We'll see how that works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290603356999?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,948 of 19,257
  I ordered a 2 pin (UE style) to Ety mini adapter from eBay. I'm going to try using a standard IEM cable wearing it over the ear. We'll see how that works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290603356999?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The adapter you linked is for the ER4-B. That would convert your ER4-S or P into a B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back