If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #4,771 of 19,256

Great impressions. The ER4S is the iem I keep coming back to, and I don't foresee a day without them in my stable. I eq up the low bass from time to time as well, but that's really all I require to get these sounding amazing. Top-tier for over 20 years now. You should love the red filters. 

Also, if you want to get rid of microphonics I recommend this simple mod for an over-the-ear fit. Totally eliminates microphonics. I take my ER4S running and to the gym no problem. Re-cabling could be an issue, as you need to add the correct impedance to the cable.

what did you use to wrap the wire? Mine has the straight cable. I would be more confident to try it on a braided cable =/ You cut off the smallest flange on your triple flange tips, what's the purpose? Is it only for comfort? BTW are those tips made by Klipsch? I've never saw black ones from Etymotic

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #4,772 of 19,256
what did you use to wrap the wire? Mine has the straight cable. I would be more confident to try it on a braided cable =/ You cut off the smallest flange on your triple flange tips, what's the purpose? Is it only for comfort? BTW are those tips made by Klipsch? I've never saw black ones from Etymotic

Just a basic plastic twisty tie.

I use the tips for comfort and fit. They're available from Amazon. Double flange works better for my ear canals, as I can sit the end of the tip flush with the end of the barrel, which keeps the last flange from bending.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,774 of 19,256
Just a basic plastic twisty tie.

I use the tips for comfort and fit. They're available from Amazon. Double flange works better for my ear canals, as I can sit the end of the tip flush with the end of the barrel, which keeps the last flange from bending.

Thanks, will try it with some twist tie in the next few days 
normal_smile .gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,776 of 19,256

Great impressions. The ER4S is the iem I keep coming back to, and I don't foresee a day without them in my stable. I eq up the low bass from time to time as well, but that's really all I require to get these sounding amazing. Top-tier for over 20 years now. You should love the red filters. 

Also, if you want to get rid of microphonics I recommend this simple mod for an over-the-ear fit. Totally eliminates microphonics. I take my ER4S running and to the gym no problem. Re-cabling could be an issue, as you need to add the correct impedance to the cable.

The hardest part about recabling would be running the wire from the ER4 itself I think.  Adding a resistor doesnt really seem that difficult when all I would have to do is solder one in.  When I was backreading ive seen a few people that have used a Westone cable, but what I was wondering was whether these cables actually reduced the microphonics from the cable or not in comparison with the "new" ER4 cable.  I probably wont end up making a DIY cable, but if it is actually worth it I might consider it sometime down the road.  

Wearing it over the ear does help with microphonics, but occasionally I bump the cord and would prefer it to not be noisy when I did so.  Im just nit-picking a bit because once the music is in play it really isnt that noticeable.  Not like the flat cable on my Klipsch R6, which are probably the worst iems ive ever had the misfortune of purchasing in any price range (impulse buy after I lost my W4s).

Yeah. They are amazing. With my tone generated eq of only two gently cut bands (with optional bass boost) my er4s approaches the neutrality of a perfect monitor. I find it preferable to a standard uerm in most ways as well. But that thing is great with no eq. They are my top two iems now. I'm flying to texas friday, and the er4s are the only earphones i'm taking.

Im not really partial towards the idea of a neutral headphone, but in this case I find that the ER4's accuracy in FR is probably what makes it sound so good to me.  So good in fact that I find myself wanting it over my AKG K702s when im at home, which hasnt happened with any other iem ive had in the past.  In fact I havent even considered using my iems at home over my AKGs, so this just goes to show how much I love the sound of these.  Maybe I should look into getting a new set of open headphones too.  Ones that can give me as much satisfaction as my ER4.  I love my AKGs, but they just dont have the same range as the ER4.  Nor are they as fast and detailed.  

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4,777 of 19,256
The jack plug on my er4p has broken,so the sound keeps cutting out.
After 13 years,I find myself always using the p to s converter cable,so I looked into getting the cable repaired and being made into er4s at the same time..
However being in the uk,with the labour plus shipping costs and customs fees,it was actually cheaper just to buy a brand new pair of er4s,which I am now the proud owner of!
It seems a shame to just throw my old ones away though as they just need a new cable..is anyone in the uk making replacement cables for these?-not sure what to do with them really.

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,778 of 19,256
Sorry to hear about your jack plug :frowning2:  It's frustrating how it ends up being cheaper to buy the whole thing again, rather than just replace the part that's broken!
You can certainly get replacement cables over here in the US, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER-4P-Etymotic-Apple-iPhone-Cable-with-Mic-Remote-4-iPhone-6-6-5S-5-4S-4-/271606217512?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f3cfdfb28

Not sure how many of these sellers ship to your country though.  Plan B would be to sell your old earbuds - I'm sure you'd find a buyer.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,779 of 19,256
Also, Etymotic has a replacement program. You can trade your broken one in for a new one at a discounted price.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #4,782 of 19,256
  Sorry to hear about your jack plug :frowning2:  It's frustrating how it ends up being cheaper to buy the whole thing again, rather than just replace the part that's broken!
You can certainly get replacement cables over here in the US, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER-4P-Etymotic-Apple-iPhone-Cable-with-Mic-Remote-4-iPhone-6-6-5S-5-4S-4-/271606217512?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f3cfdfb28

Not sure how many of these sellers ship to your country though.  Plan B would be to sell your old earbuds - I'm sure you'd find a buyer.

Thanks for that. Yes maybe i'll see if anyone wants to buy them instead..I've already spent too much on the new ones really, i shouldn't start spending on the old ones too!

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,784 of 19,256
I just ordered these again, 2nd time around. Hoping I'll enjoy them. First time, I knew absolutely nothing about this hobby, ran them straight from my phone, and they sounded horrible. Now, I have better music, amps, and a better source. We shall see...

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,785 of 19,256
I just ordered these again, 2nd time around. Hoping I'll enjoy them. First time, I knew absolutely nothing about this hobby, ran them straight from my phone, and they sounded horrible. Now, I have better music, amps, and a better source. We shall see...

Don't forget to pick up some of those delicious red filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back