If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 25, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #4,669 of 19,257
  Westone cables:
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/epic-replacement-cables.html

Etymotic cable adapter for Westone cables:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-S-/300592438512?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49cf0

Make sure you insert the cables the right way round. You'll have to do a polarity test to verify you got it correct (if it doesn't sound right, just swap one of the channels):
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Adapters arrived today, the cable last week, im looking forward to giving them a run tonight, thanks again for the help.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #4,670 of 19,257
Hey guys

I replaced the cable last night ans tested the polarity, all working smoothly.

However the volume has decreased significantly. I've gone from 72 on high gain on my Fiio X3 to 100 and it doesnt quite seem loud enough (i can still get to 120). I tried it on my iphone and at top volume its pretty low.

Have i done something wrong or is this expected?

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4,671 of 19,257
  Hey guys

I replaced the cable last night ans tested the polarity, all working smoothly.

However the volume has decreased significantly. I've gone from 72 on high gain on my Fiio X3 to 100 and it doesnt quite seem loud enough (i can still get to 120). I tried it on my iphone and at top volume its pretty low.

Have i done something wrong or is this expected?

Did you have an ER4-PT and bought the S cable adapter? You converted your ER4-PT into an ER4S which has less volume sensitivity and is expected.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4,672 of 19,257
I feel guilty for never having posted on this thread.  So, one comment and two questions:

1) I love my ER4PT (which is the ER4P with the S adapter). They are really awesome headphones :)  Almost perfect.  Great job Etymotic! But since I'm writing, I'll mention just two small things...

2) I miss the controltalk feature on my turbines (and earpods).  Etymotic put mics and remotes on everything but the ER4 :frowning2: Does anybody make a replacement cable for that?  It doesn't need to be made out of 99.999999999999% pure unobtanium and/or come pre-burned for 10000 hours.  I just want the functionality.

3) Occasionally, on some genres of music, I miss the FEEL of the bass on my Monster Turbine Coppers.  With some judicious EQ, I can lift up the treble on the Turbines to get very close to the clarity of the ER4s, but not vice versa - i.e., no amount of bass boost on the ER4s ever recovers that jaw-reverberating bass-pounding-inside-your-head that you can get from the Turbines. Is there an IEM out there that has the isolation and clarity of the ER4 (it would have to take Comply P-series tips) but also the head-shaking bass of the Turbines?  I may be asking something that's physically impossible as these two headphones have very different types of seal (Monster Turbine = shallow, ER4 = almost a surgical implant).

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #4,673 of 19,257
I feel guilty for never having posted on this thread.  So, one comment and two questions:

1) I love my ER4PT (which is the ER4P with the S adapter). They are really awesome headphones :)  Almost perfect.  Great job Etymotic! But since I'm writing, I'll mention just two small things...

2) I miss the controltalk feature on my turbines (and earpods).  Etymotic put mics and remotes on everything but the ER4 :frowning2: Does anybody make a replacement cable for that?  It doesn't need to be made out of 99.999999999999% pure unobtanium and/or come pre-burned for 10000 hours.  I just want the functionality.

3) Occasionally, on some genres of music, I miss the FEEL of the bass on my Monster Turbine Coppers.  With some judicious EQ, I can lift up the treble on the Turbines to get very close to the clarity of the ER4s, but not vice versa - i.e., no amount of bass boost on the ER4s ever recovers that jaw-reverberating bass-pounding-inside-your-head that you can get from the Turbines. Is there an IEM out there that has the isolation and clarity of the ER4 (it would have to take Comply P-series tips) but also the head-shaking bass of the Turbines?  I may be asking something that's physically impossible as these two headphones have very different types of seal (Monster Turbine = shallow, ER4 = almost a surgical implant).

This has been the quest of the Ety faithful for many moons now. It seems pretty much impossible to get ER4 clarity with a fat lower end, but so far the Rockets by Aurisonics have come the closest imo. The bass probably isn't as emphasized as what you're looking for, but mids and treble are superbly linear and clear. Besides that I haven't heard anything that wouldn't need some eq. Seems like most totl iems either have a treble peak or too much warmth in comparison to the ER4.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,674 of 19,257

This has been the quest of the Ety faithful for many moons now. It seems pretty much impossible to get ER4 clarity with a fat lower end, but so far the Rockets by Aurisonics have come the closest imo. The bass probably isn't as emphasized as what you're looking for, but mids and treble are superbly linear and clear. Besides that I haven't heard anything that wouldn't need some eq. Seems like most totl iems either have a treble peak or too much warmth in comparison to the ER4.

Yeah, the tenore is beautiful, but lacks transparency of the er4s. The mh1 is superb, but has some excess bass and slightly less linear treble, but still very excellent. The kc06 is more on the v-shape end of things, but still sounds up there with the other two.

However, as much as I love, and use, them all - I've found my way back in a circle to the er4s. It's the best i've ever heard so far. It's just painful to my ears physically sometimes. Such a drag. And there is a bit of low sub bass missing, but not much really. In fact, with red filters I sometimes find myself turning off eq because it sounds so freaking transparent on some recordings it isn't really "needed".

But they just sound amazing, are durable, and every other iem I've tried sounds poorly isolated in comparison. I sometimes forget how nice it is to be in your own little acoustic studio in your ears when you listen to music. Just quiet and music. If I could just find silicon eartips that somehow didn't hurt after being in my ears for a few hours I'd sell all my other iems. haha. But alas, that isn't the case. So what normally happens is I get fed up with the comfort (not the sound), so I switch to the tenores. I enjoy them, but sooner or later I find the treble and bess too non-distinct for lack of better words. So I sacrifice a slight amount of "accuracy" and switch to the mh1. I'm happy for a while with the more distinct-ness and dynamic sound. But then I start to want more neutrality again. I switch back to the er4s after giving my ears a rest and I'm shocked at how good they sound. Wash, rinse, repeat....

It's getting old. haha

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #4,675 of 19,257

Did you have an ER4-PT and bought the S cable adapter? You converted your ER4-PT into an ER4S which has less volume sensitivity and is expected.

Hey zowki

Its a good question, i have the ER4 Micro Pro (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html) so im not sure if its a PT or an S, how can i tell?

I've replaced the cable with a Westone cable so its pretty different. Does it make a difference, do i just need to up the volume? Is it a better sound ( ive only had 290 mins with the new cable so far).

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #4,676 of 19,257
  Hey zowki

Its a good question, i have the ER4 Micro Pro (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html) so im not sure if its a PT or an S, how can i tell?

I've replaced the cable with a Westone cable so its pretty different. Does it make a difference, do i just need to up the volume? Is it a better sound ( ive only had 290 mins with the new cable so far).

The cable won't change the sound but the cable adapter will, depending on whether you bought the S adapter or P adapter.

S Adapter:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-S-/300592438512?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49cf0

P Adapter:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-P-/300592438250?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49bea

The S adapter will be softer but sounds better (better treble extension). You must have originally had an ER4P then converted it to an ER4S with the S adapter.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #4,677 of 19,257
Man o man. I've been rockin' my red filter er4s with triple flange black tips so hard lately. They unfortunately do cause me ear discomfort, literally to the point where i sometimes get scabs in my ears if I wear them a few hours in a row. But I keep coming back for more pain! haha.

Seriously, I went through the very nice tenores, modded mh1, etc. etc. All are very good, but the er4s in this configuration is one of the best I think i've ever heard in an iem. Not perfect, but one of the best. I find I don't even use eq most of the time. Only on music where I feel that extra sub bass correction is necessary really. But nothing sounds as transparent, isolated, clean, hi-fi, etc.

I'll be demo'ing the aurosonics rockets soon and i've heard really good things, but these babies are just really impressing me lately again. I think the only reason I tried a bunch of other iems in a desperate search for a replacement is because the comfort started bothering me after switching back to silicon tips. I was finding lately that the foam tips are definitely not as revealing and neutral in response. So I just couldn't stand them anymore. Bah.  Anyway, I find I don't need to wear them quite as deep with the silicon either, but they just sort of bond to my damn skin after touching it for a while and it must dry it out and irritate it.

Just wanted to throw that out there. These things deserve mad respect. :p

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,678 of 19,257
Pulled out my ER4S late tonight, laying down in the dark listening to Cassandra Wilson from Studio V. Doesn't take much of an adjustment period to realize why I'll never, ever sell this IEM.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #4,679 of 19,257
Pulled out my ER4S late tonight, laying down in the dark listening to Cassandra Wilson from Studio V. Doesn't take much of an adjustment period to realize why I'll never, ever sell this IEM.

They have given me some of the most beautiful experiences listening to music laying down at night. Perfectly quiet, serenity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back