If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #4,651 of 19,256
I just sent my ASG-2's for repair, so now I have returned to my ER4S after 2 months, and as much as I'd hate to admit, I have I have to say that they're really, really good sounding IEMS - they do separation as well, if not better, than my ASG-2's, which costs nearly twice as much. The ER4S' bass is cleaner and faster than the ASG-2's and I think it does female vocals really well too (the ASG-2 is also as good, sounding more natural). I had many goosebumps during my half hour listening session with the ER4S. I'm glad I didn't sell my ER4S after getting my ASG-2. 
etysmile.gif

PS. I was using luisdent's flat EQ settings.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #4,652 of 19,256
I just sent my ASG-2's for repair, so now I have returned to my ER4S after 2 months, and as much as I'd hate to admit, I have I have to say that they're really, really good sounding IEMS - they do separation as well, if not better, than my ASG-2's, which costs nearly twice as much. The ER4S' bass is cleaner and faster than the ASG-2's and I think it does female vocals really well too (the ASG-2 is also as good, sounding more natural). I had many goosebumps during my half hour listening session with the ER4S. I'm glad I didn't sell my ER4S after getting my ASG-2. :etysmile:  

PS. I was using luisdent's flat EQ settings.

I can agree for those with correct preferences the Ety can be more suited. However, last time I used ER4S I got a terrible ear ache deep in my left canal that lasted almost a week. Since then I've been reluctant to use them again.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4,653 of 19,256
I can agree for those with correct preferences the Ety can be more suited. However, last time I used ER4S I got a terrible ear ache deep in my left canal that lasted almost a week. Since then I've been reluctant to use them again.

I hate to sound redundant, but I can't remember if I've asked. Did you try the Westone star tips? 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #4,654 of 19,256
  I hate to sound redundant, but I can't remember if I've asked. Did you try the Westone star tips? 

When I tried Westone Star tips on W4 the largest in size were too small for my canals and slide out. O_O

I sold the tips with W4 before I bought the Ety. I can see in theory how it may work well from a comfort perspective.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4,655 of 19,256
I bought the Vmoda sport ear hooks for these iems. They add weight to the wire so they dont flop around like they usually do if I wear the er4s over ear. The wire still juts out between the wire relief and hook, but not by much. The wire may be a tad too thin and sometimes can come out of the slots when inserting my er4s into my ears. Definitely worth the buy though, especially since it reduces microphonics by ~15% to 20% compared to just er4s over ear wire.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,657 of 19,256
luisdent, have you had any updated EQ settings for the ER4S recently? I'd like to try them if you have new settings; I tried your previous ones and they sound great.
I'd have to check my latest settings. I've been listening to the tenore lately :) my er4s was starting to hurt my ears by actually giving me scabs of some sort from the silicon rubbing the skin over and over, because of doing a lot of comparisons...

What tips do you use and how deep?

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #4,658 of 19,256
I'd have to check my latest settings. I've been listening to the tenore lately :) my er4s was starting to hurt my ears by actually giving me scabs of some sort from the silicon rubbing the skin over and over, because of doing a lot of comparisons...

What tips do you use and how deep?

Looking forward to your updated settings :)

I'm currently using the grey silicon tri-flanges. I'm thinking of going back to the smaller frosted tri-flanges since the grey ones are rather tight and hurt a little while inserting them into my ears. It's quite a dilema actually; the frosted ones are way more comfortable and easier to insert, but on the downside, I find them really difficult to get a good seal with for my right ear, and thus there is some imbalance and poorer isolation on my right ear.

As for depth, I insert them all the way in, to the deepest my ER4's can go. My ears aren't very large, so at maximum insertion depth the ER4's tips (grey and frosted) are just barely totally inside my ear canal.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4,659 of 19,256
Just got my ER-4PTs this afternoon. Slightly used on eBay for $185.

I. Am. In. Love. With. These.

This is my first time in the audiophile world where I can ACTUALLY hear portions of songs that I never knew existed. Every little nuance is so balanced, and articulate. And the bass, which was my only worry, is so damn precise, and not at all lacking! This was worth every penny.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Current 93 to get back to. :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #4,665 of 19,256
I'm SO back on my er4s. After trying a bunch of excellent earphones, these persist in blowing my mind. So happy i own these. So awesome.

You said in this video that you prefer the Zero Audio Tenore over the ER4S:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbd1V_cOm2A

Have you changed your mind?

I'll probably be making another video on the tenore and its growing number of issues. Under perfect conditions i'd probably take the tenore over the er4s. However, there are a lot of issues i, and many others, have run into over time. And the er4s just continues to sound consistent when fit right, and very transparent. The tenore is similarly transparent, but only when the tips and fit workout just right and you aren't experiencing imbalance or tonal changes. Those issues have been plaguing my listening sessions with the tenore lately.

Add to that the fact that the cable is coming apart from the housing, and they start to seem less ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back