If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #3,829 of 19,256
One of the best stock cables i have come across is the V-Sonic GR-07BE cable. It's durable, resistant to tangles, soft, and no microphonics. If Etymotic could take a look at this cable and implement their own version that would be awesome.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,830 of 19,256
I do the finger test when i have a healing ear infection. :p

luisdent,

This is a non-sequitor and one I don't understand!

How does having an ear infection relate to getting a good seal on the Ety's?

And what does doing the finger test do for you when you have an ear infection?  Are you trying to see if you've lost some of your hearing?  Or does doing this somehow help you heal?  or what?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,831 of 19,256
I do the finger test when i have a healing ear infection. :p

luisdent,

This is a non-sequitor and one I don't understand!

How does having an ear infection relate to getting a good seal on the Ety's?

And what does doing the finger test do for you when you have an ear infection?  Are you trying to see if you've lost some of your hearing?  Or does doing this somehow help you heal?  or what?

Haha it has nothing to do with it. I just thought i was the only person that did that. I test my seal that way sometimes too.

When i have an ear infection it tells me if my hearing has changed at all, that's all. It usually does change when i have one while it's present.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,833 of 19,256
  One of the best stock cables i have come across is the V-Sonic GR-07BE cable. It's durable, resistant to tangles, soft, and no microphonics. If Etymotic could take a look at this cable and implement their own version that would be awesome.

I really liked the gr07 mkII cable when I had it.  It was very soft but felt durable.  I like the pfe112 cable about the same, although the gr07 cable seemed more durable and had a right angle jack I liked.  I haven't had any issues with the pfe112 and love the cable, but I feel it wouldn't last as much abuse as the er4s or gr07.  Luckily the er4s is pretty easy to recable with adapters.  Perhaps you can get a broken gr07 somewhere and combine the two? :p

Here's my pfe112 all black setup.  I love this cable.  You can almost see in the photo how the cable stays smooth and has that rubbery-ness.  Similar to the gr07 but different.  The gr07 is thicker and almost softer in a way, but the pfe112 almost snaps straight when you let it.  In a good way.

And the pfe232 ear guides are absolutely perfect.  I forget i'm wearing them.  They're light, but hold the cable well and uber comfortable.

I just realized how funny my pfe setup is.  I have the pfe012 "perfect bass" housing (same exact earphone that comes stock with black bass filters... sending the 112 to a friend at the moment), with the pfe112 grey filters (flattest signature) and the pfe232 ear guides. ha.  It's like a pfe mr. potato head. :p

I even use the pfe comply foam tips on my er4s. :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,834 of 19,256

I really liked the gr07 mkII cable when I had it.  It was very soft but felt durable.  I like the pfe112 cable about the same, although the gr07 cable seemed more durable and had a right angle jack I liked.  I haven't had any issues with the pfe112 and love the cable, but I feel it wouldn't last as much abuse as the er4s or gr07.  Luckily the er4s is pretty easy to recable with adapters.  Perhaps you can get a broken gr07 somewhere and combine the two? :p

Yeah i really loved that cable. if v-sonic sold repair versions i would probably buy 20 of them and be happy for life 
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #3,836 of 19,256
Feb 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,838 of 19,256
A quick thank-you to the ER-4 thread dwellers for the great tips.  I recently decided to replace my beloved AKG 702s (w/ upgraded 65th anni. pads) because my listening room had too much ambient noise to fully enjoy them.  I'd enjoyed my HF-3s w/ my iPhone, so got a pair of ER-4Ps.  Very nice.  Already knew I needed to go with Comply tips, but here I learned to route the wires over my ears to kill the microphonics, get the $13 P>S adapter for my Benchmark Dac1-USB, and just tonight, add the red filters.   WOW.  I'm blessed with still above average hearing as I turn 54, but I'm hearing new details in recordings I've heard 100 times.  That's very groovy, as we used to say!

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,839 of 19,256
  A quick thank-you to the ER-4 thread dwellers for the great tips.  I recently decided to replace my beloved AKG 702s (w/ upgraded 65th anni. pads) because my listening room had too much ambient noise to fully enjoy them.  I'd enjoyed my HF-3s w/ my iPhone, so got a pair of ER-4Ps.  Very nice.  Already knew I needed to go with Comply tips, but here I learned to route the wires over my ears to kill the microphonics, get the $13 P>S adapter for my Benchmark Dac1-USB, and just tonight, add the red filters.   WOW.  I'm blessed with still above average hearing as I turn 54, but I'm hearing new details in recordings I've heard 100 times.  That's very groovy, as we used to say!

I love these kind of stories. Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back