If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,366 of 19,246
Quote:
No, you see you don't need a fancy material like copper as that is only used when the goal is to decrease impedance. The only thing that will make that adapter bad is if perhaps the soldering is done poorly, but the materials are fine. Sound traveling does not require silver or copper to sound good. 

I meant the signal,not the sound-wave from hp to our ear,sound-signal lose/change its details traveling thru bad conductor,right?

May 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,367 of 19,246
Quote:
I meant the signal,not the sound-wave from hp to our ear,sound-signal lose/change its details traveling thru bad conductor,right?

Wood is a poor conductor. Plastic is a poor conductor.

As long as the conection is made with some kind of metal, it will conduct with no loss of quality. It will sound the same as if there was no connector in the signal chain.

May 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,369 of 19,246
Quote:

Wood is a poor conductor. Plastic is a poor conductor.

As long as the conection is made with some kind of metal, it will conduct with no loss of quality. It will sound the same as if there was no connector in the signal chain.

Be careful.  "poorly made" adapters can absolutely affect the sound quality. But it would have to be pretty bad to where the connection of audio signal isn't 100% consistent.  Imagine a pair of headphones where the right ear starts to "go out".  Sometimes it can crackle before it drops out completely or sound thin, or other traits.  So, while it isn't really the adapter itself, but rather if the adapter isn't made very well.  As long as it is reasonable build quality the copper shouldn't matter.

When I mentioned the cables before affecting the sound, adapter or not, if you change the cables you can affect the sound.  Different cables "might" alter the resistance and this change in impedance absolutely affects almost all balanced armature in ear monitors.  Probably not a lot, because you would need a significant change to notice it, but when a lot of people rave about super cable upgrades, what they are sometimes hearing is actually more bass or treble due to impedance changes.  This varies, but unless I missed something, if the purpose here is to change cables you "might" change the sound, but probably not much either way.

May 17, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,370 of 19,246

No, as long as all the voltage is given, again no need for fancy materials as long as the output is there specially for a resistor cable.

May 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,371 of 19,246
Be careful.  "poorly made" adapters can absolutely affect the sound quality. But it would have to be pretty bad to where the connection of audio signal isn't 100% consistent.  Imagine a pair of headphones where the right ear starts to "go out".  Sometimes it can crackle before it drops out completely or sound thin, or other traits.  So, while it isn't really the adapter itself, but rather if the adapter isn't made very well.  As long as it is reasonable build quality the copper shouldn't matter.

When I mentioned the cables before affecting the sound, adapter or not, if you change the cables you can affect the sound.  Different cables "might" alter the resistance and this change in impedance absolutely affects almost all balanced armature in ear monitors.  Probably not a lot, because you would need a significant change to notice it, but when a lot of people rave about super cable upgrades, what they are sometimes hearing is actually more bass or treble due to impedance changes.  This varies, but unless I missed something, if the purpose here is to change cables you "might" change the sound, but probably not much either way.

While it is possible for a cables electrical properties (resistance, capacitance, inductance) to change the sound, it would have to be a very long cable. With a 6' IEM cable, I think an aftermarket cable designer would have to be pretty incopetent (or have a creative sense of humor) to build a cable that significantly changed the sound of a pair of IEMs.

May 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,372 of 19,246
T
While it is possible for a cables electrical properties (resistance, capacitance, inductance) to change the sound, it would have to be a very long cable. With a 6' IEM cable, I think an aftermarket cable designer would have to be pretty incopetent (or have a creative sense of humor) to build a cable that significantly changed the sound of a pair of IEMs.

this isn't completely true. I have talked with an iem manufacturer and they stated how much their cables were "designed" to have certain sound characteristics. They use certain windings and gauges, etc. to make sure the properties are as needed. I agree it makes sense the cable would need to be long, but this is just what the iem manufacturer themselves told me. I'm assuming it was the truth...?

May 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,373 of 19,246
I believe the manufacturers are more concerned with cost, durability, and tactile qualities.. I think the engineers have a different opinion on the effect on sound from the electrical properties of a head/earphone cable.

BTW, for grins, I daisy-chained four adapters and extension cables together and put them in between my HF5's and DAC1. The effect on sound quality? Absolutely none. :D

May 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,374 of 19,246
I believe the manufacturers are more concerned with cost, durability, and tactile qualities.. I think the engineers have a different opinion on the effect on sound from the electrical properties of a head/earphone cable.

BTW, for grins, I daisy-chained four adapters and extension cables together and put them in between my HF5's and DAC1. The effect on sound quality? Absolutely none. :D

Yeah I have people that worry about guitar cables and RCA cables and such. I always use the cheapest well made cables of the appropriate gauge. No difference in sound even when I use my adapter into my extension cable into another adapter :p

However using my y-adapter with two iems wreaks havoc in the sound...

May 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,375 of 19,246
OMG this is incredible ear candy with the er4s.  I just hard this album and listened to it through once then immediately bought it on amazon. ha.

You can stream the whole album free.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/random-access-memories/id617154241

May 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,376 of 19,246
Quote:
Yeah I have people that worry about guitar cables and RCA cables and such. I always use the cheapest well made cables of the appropriate gauge. No difference in sound even when I use my adapter into my extension cable into another adapter :p

However using my y-adapter with two iems wreaks havoc in the sound...

That would be the impedance thing biting you.

Funny thing about cabling. Once you hit something that can carry the bandwidth of your source material there is no improvement. Basic 100BT ethernet is as good as any of the esoterica.

May 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,378 of 19,246
Quote:

I know.  Just sayin'  :p  Stinks that there is no good way to have two headphones without two amps...

Two headphones yes. Two IEM,s nope. 

Doh. I should have mentioned this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Has two outputs, might work
confused.gif

May 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,379 of 19,246
Quote:
OMG this is incredible ear candy with the er4s.  I just hard this album and listened to it through once then immediately bought it on amazon. ha.

You can stream the whole album free.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/random-access-memories/id617154241

Honestly, that album has some of the best production I've ever heard. I first heard "Get Lucky" and I got *super* excited about the groove. Not very many drummers can play a groove like that, it really reminded me of Jeff Porcoro (drummer and founding member of Toto). I did some research and discovered it's John JR Robinson, the most recorded drummer in history. I ordered his DVD *that day* and then proceeded to pace back and forth around my office for about 10 mins, completely overwhelmed by the groove.

-sheldon

May 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,380 of 19,246
so much great music around and people will still fall for this hyped/hipster/mediocre music like daft punk

oh well , you can't teach people how to choose wisely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back