If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #9,616 of 19,253
Does anyone have experience to answer which one of XR or SR is more like the Hf5? I am all for a little more bass than the ER4S I used to have, but I'm not looking for too much of it. Any thoughts on which way I should head since I cannot easily a/b them.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #9,617 of 19,253
Does anyone have experience to answer which one of XR or SR is more like the Hf5? I am all for a little more bass than the ER4S I used to have, but I'm not looking for too much of it. Any thoughts on which way I should head since I cannot easily a/b them.

In my opinion the er4sr is closer to the hf5. The hf5 isn't identical to the er4sr/er4s in response, but it has essentially the same "non-boosted" bass and slightly boosted upper mids.

The er4xr is a touch more bass and smoother upper mids than the er4s/hf5.. The er4sr would be more like the hf5. To my ears, the hf5 (it's been a while, but graphs back this up) sound a bit less refined than the er4s/sr. The highest treble is a bit less airy and just less transparent. But overall, the tone of the whole earphone is very similar...

The xr is definitely something special. It "may" not be the most critically accurate, but I'd be hard pressed not to recommend it generally as the best earphone ever made. The er4sr is something I'd recommend for people who already prefer the er4s and are happy with the bass because they find it is perfect. If you don't think the er4s bass is practically perfect in quantity, the xr is the way to go. It isn't "that" much more bass, but it is more and sounds really good. And the overalls mids and treble are barely affected by the bass boost. I'd say they aren't even affected at all really, except that the overall tone of the entire sound is a bit more laid back just slightly.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #9,620 of 19,253
Thanks for the help everyone.  Here are my thoughts on what I should do.  While I really like the Pono > Cardas EM5813 in balanced mode, it is spooky holographic and immersive, very natural sounding; but there are plenty of times when it is just too boomy, and that is even with a not great seal.  I don’t  have a ton of experience, but it feels in my gut the Pono doesn’t play very well with IEMs.  Plus there is the battery life thing.  Anyway I do love that very mid-range centric natural and darker Pono sound (certainly some would note the rolled-off treble, but its very analog feel works for me); and having had the ER4s before, and the Hf5 now with a phone>dragonfly, I think I might try to shoot for a more fun, less analytical, don’t overthink it sound.
I am going to pair one of these with the Fiio x5ii, and it seems if I want a bit more of the target sound I noted above, I should head to the XR; unless I am not correctly reading what people are saying about these two new offerings.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,621 of 19,253
Thanks for the help everyone.  Here are my thoughts on what I should do.  While I really like the Pono > Cardas EM5813 in balanced mode, it is spooky holographic and immersive, very natural sounding; but there are plenty of times when it is just too boomy, and that is even with a not great seal.  I don’t  have a ton of experience, but it feels in my gut the Pono doesn’t play very well with IEMs.  Plus there is the battery life thing.  Anyway I do love that very mid-range centric natural and darker Pono sound (certainly some would note the rolled-off treble, but its very analog feel works for me); and having had the ER4s before, and the Hf5 now with a phone>dragonfly, I think I might try to shoot for a more fun, less analytical, don’t overthink it sound.

I am going to pair one of these with the Fiio x5ii, and it seems if I want a bit more of the target sound I noted above, I should head to the XR; unless I am not correctly reading what people are saying about these two new offerings.

I am very critical and i still love my er4xr :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #9,623 of 19,253
Is er4sr has 'dry' signature like mc3 does?

Never heard the mc3 but I would not call the SR dry.
With a silver cable, yes, it sounds more “analytical” and it can be called “dry” especially in the low end. This is what I personally prefer.  

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #9,624 of 19,253
Never heard the mc3 but I would not call the SR dry.
With a silver cable, yes, it sounds more “analytical” and it can be called “dry” especially in the low end. This is what I personally prefer.  

I mean dry is when I saw on their website and some dude tell that er4sr has extended treble, I had er4s modified into er4p (and added adapter if I wanna listen into 4s again) so I don't know how er4s really sounds.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #9,626 of 19,253
  Is there any news on a balanced cable for the ER4SR/XR's?

I use custom 2.5 mm TRRS balanced cables. Here is just one of them:

The main challenge here is  45 (135) degree connectors.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #9,628 of 19,253

Any recommendation on where to buy them? I thought that the ER4SR/XR's had a slightly different take on the MMCX connector.

This is made by one local guy in Moscow. Now he is trying to replace straight connectors on Silver Dragon which is challenging because of a silver core. Let's see. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #9,629 of 19,253
Finally picked up a pair of SR. Happy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back